• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Handbook of Western Palearctic birds (1 Viewer)

"Yemen has no list that I can find"

There certainly is no official checklist of Yemeni birds. There are old reports in Sandgrouse 9 (1987), 4-66 (North Yemen), and Sandgrouse 17 (1996), 22-53, 54-72, 83-101 (South Yemen and Socotra).

After the crowd-sourced post-publication proof-reading exercise we carried out here on the second edition of the Collins Bird Guide a while back, I told myself that I wouldn't be doing anything similar again.

However ... several people have been sending me details of errors they've found in HWPB and hinting that it would be a good idea to do so. Reluctantly, I've been persuaded that compiling the list in a single place is of value to readers and to the authors and publishers (not least because it will help improve the planned electronic edition). Rather than starting a Birdforum thread on the subject and dissecting the book in real-time here, I've gone for a slightly different approach and set up a wordpress site where any corrections can be collected together and updated in a slightly more controlled way. People can contribute details of any errors they notice via a "Contact" page. That said, I'll check back here every now and again in case anyone does feel the need to post errors here.

The site is at http://thehwpb.wordpress.com. At occasional intervals I will issue the list as an A4 PDF which can be printed off for storing in/alongside the books. You should be able to sign up for an email which will let you know when this happens.

Steve

The site is at http://thehwpb.wordpress.com. At occasional intervals I will issue the list as an A4 PDF which can be printed off for storing in/alongside the books. You should be able to sign up for an email which will let you know when this happens.

Steve

Well done Steve. It's such a huge effort to get this sort of book over the line that some errors are bound to get missed. These crowd sourced compilations are immensely useful :t:

Thanks, yes, I completely agree: much better to get the book out there and let the hive mind pick up the inevitable small errors than delay it for months while it’s given a final final final proof-read, as even the best proof-readers won’t pick up some of the more subtle issues.

Well done Steve. It's such a huge effort to get this sort of book over the line that some errors are bound to get missed. These crowd sourced compilations are immensely useful :t:

Got my copy now. First error I've noticed is the map for Parrot Crossbill: Scotland is shown with a small green blob centred on the Forth bridges area; it should of course be centred roughly on the Cairngorms.

Otherwise, what disappointed me most so far is their failure to take up more modern family circumscriptions like Muscicapidae = flycatchers + chats. That's been known plenty long enough now for them to have rearranged it.

Thanks, yes, I completely agree: much better to get the book out there and let the hive mind pick up the inevitable small errors than delay it for months while it’s given a final final final proof-read, as even the best proof-readers won’t pick up some of the more subtle issues.

Then i will wait for a second edition if it ever will happen and when the errors
are corrected?

Then i will wait for a second edition if it ever will happen and when the errors are corrected?

Personally, I would recommend buying the books now, rather than waiting for any second edition that may or may not be produced. HWPB is a magnificent piece of work. Any work of this breadth and detail will contain small errors, and none of the errors found so far are significant (and the errata list is available to anyone with a web connection anywhere in the world - not many books can boast that).

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back