• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rheas in Germany (1 Viewer)

StuartReeves

Local rarity
According to this article, 2018 was a bumper breeding year for greater rheas in Northern Germany, with the population more than doubling to around 560 birds. This population has been around for over twenty years and seems to be doing a pretty good job of sustaining itself. Could it be a future Category C tick for WP listers?

Andrew
I see them almost everyday in Staffordshire, there is a small group in a farm but they just seem to wander free with no gates or fences.

regards

Merlin

According to the paper linked below, the earliest date to be added to a German cat C is ca 2035.

https://club300.de/publications/index10.php

Quick, quick, find that the generation time of Rhea is much shorter than believed!
If it's that long, can't you just save up the money and go see them in South America? Not that I'd want to discourage tourism to my area, but IMO it's way more exciting to see wild birds than Cat C ones.

Some of the generation times seem to be too long - surely they should be using age at first [successful] breeding for one generation, rather than what looks to be maximum age?

Acccording to that article, Wood Duck should become officially established in Germany in 2019. Can we get a new WP tick 11 days from now?

Less pleasant, there is a breeding group of Chilean, Caribbean, Greater Flamingos and their hybrids which breeds in a reserve in Germany and winters in The Netherlands. Hybrids of all three species are fertile, and Greater Flamingos from that colony reached wild colonies in the Mediterranean and Chilean Flamingos were seen there. This greates a danger of genetic contamination. Feral flamingos benefit from nesting on an island protected by an electric fence for native birds. Apparently local people absolutely love flamingos and oppose any attempt to catch them back.

I don't see the point of discussing the local love of escaped flamingos. However, maybe German and Dutch authorities trap exotic and hybrid flamingos, eventually leaving Greater Flamingos for public enjoyment?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back