• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chickadees at your Humming bird feeders. (1 Viewer)

William A

New user
Chickadees at my Humming bird feeders.

Hi all, long time reader, first time poster.

I've got 3 feeders here I keep out year round and for quite some time now the Chickadees have feeding/drinking from them.
Pretty often, almost as much as the Hummers do themselves.

Here's a short vid I did yesterday...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Dwz5gmSc3A

I'm not complaining mind you, as I could easily put a stop to it by installing my bee guards.

Just thought it was a weird bird behavior and wanted to share.
Anybody else have other birds helping themselves to the sweet juice ?

Heck, i've got Chickadees, Titmouse and Downy Woodpeckers availing themselves to the hummer feeders.

If Downy Woodpeckers have learned to enjoy the libation you offer, I'd expect Sapsuckers and Orioles to get the message as well.
Please keep us posted, ideally with pictures.

If Downy Woodpeckers have learned to enjoy the libation you offer, I'd expect Sapsuckers and Orioles to get the message as well.
Or are their bills too thick to get into the holes? Downy has a much smaller bill than those, so can get it into feeder holes more easily.

I’ve had orioles and Gila woodpeckers on mine. And in the fall the bats love to feed on the feeder at night.

Yep - but they're evolved for pulling out insect grubs, not sugary water. Tho' have to admit, I don't know if sapsuckers have any adaptations in that direction.

They most certainly do in the form of brushy tongue-tips designed for the absorption of xylem (late winter, spring) and phloem (isummer, early fall). I don’t imagine they’d have much trouble with hummingbird feeders though whether they’d bother is another matter: compared to tree sap, sugar water would be very thin gruel indeed..

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back