• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding targets for 2016 (1 Viewer)

timsg80

Gregor Tims
In 2016, I will be year-listing in the Brisbane Metro Area for the first time, I don't have a numerical target yet but I hope to be able to find some special birds in the next year around here. My other main aim will be to continue to add to my world life list- some Buttonquails or more Pelagic seabirds would be nice!

What are your aims for biriding in 2016??

Morning Gregor.

I'm hoping to beat last (this) years number of species seen. Target bird for the year is Dotterel. And to fit as many birding sessions in as possible in between work and family commitments.

Hope everyone has a Happy New Year.

Rich

Hi, for 2016 I hope to see my first Yellow-Browed Warbler (it should be easy by September or October here), Temminck's Stint and a few new birds on my local patch would be nice too !
Happy New Year |=)|

Targets for 2016

We have two trips planned for next year

Japan (jan /feb) main targets are Stellers Sea Eagle, Blakison's Fish Owl and Japanese Crane

Columbia (Nov) - White-tipped Quetzal, Santa Marta Endemics and some new Antpittas.

My goal is to beat this year's number in the state (238) and my county (201). And getting a few state and county lifers would be great.

Dave

I am still in a phase of my life with limited driving capability and money, and uncertainty over what is even going to happen for the fall and winter.

That said living in a new region gives me a host of "regular" birds that I hope to finally add to my ABA/life lists. Right now it should be possible to track down Great Cormorant, Purple Sandpiper, Barnacle Goose, Tufted Duck, and Black-headed Gull. Perhaps Razorbill and Dovekie too with a ton of luck (no money for pelagics that would almost certainly give me these two). Pink-footed goose is also a possibility, although this has been MIA for over a month so not sure if still around

Come spring I want better looks of Seaside and Saltmarsh Sparrow. Also there are still some warblers that I have a shot at, including Prairie, Kentucky, Worm-eating, and Louisiana Waterthrush. The fall also brings me a shot at Connecticut Warbler and Buff-breasted Sandpiper, and if I am really lucky Curlew Sandpiper.

Beyond all of these I still have a whole swath of easier state birds to add to the checklist, including Painted Bunting if I can get myself to Brooklyn in the next week.

Tempting fate - even though I'm going to the right place (hopefully)...
Carmine Bee-eater, Grey Crowned Crane, and I'd like a Secretary Bird too please.

I'm not a lister, so I obviously don't have any list goals.|=)| However, I would really like to see a Hooded Warbler, Snowy Owl and/or Long-tailed Duck this year.

Well, it may seem very pedestrian to most, but my target is to get out birding once a month. Most will take that for granted, but in my current circumstances it's quite a target. I need to get out not only to preserve my sanity (only a small exaggeration), but also to stop getting even rustier. My birding skills are at a lower ebb than they've been for many decades.

Hopefully catch up with a few birds proving a little elusive \ jack snipe,goshawk,honey buzzard,dotterel, & last but not least quail

In 2015 I recorded 145 species so my goal is to get over 150 in our local area (as you know the more species you have, it is more difficult to tick a new one).

I copied the eBird needs lists for 2015, which is birds that I have not seen in my local area all year but were recorded there in the past, arranged in order of probability that they will be recorded. There was space for 26 species in the list I copied, and after that there were some very rare birds (eBird does not differentiate between a mega-rarity seen in 2013 and migrating overhead Cranes/White Storks which I was supposed to see).

These birds on needs list are mostly birds of grassland/open fields and some waterbirds with narrow period of occurence in our area.

Happy New Year folks. This year won't be anything as like last year where I got 510 species and 192 lifers. We are planning a trip to the west coast of Canada in June/July, but nothing firm yet. A spring break in the Med somewhere, or the Azores and then an Autumn trip to maybe Sweden/Norway. I'm not setting any goals this year, but I hope to see afew new species in BC/Alberta. Last time I was there, I was not a birder specifically, just a nature lover in general. I also now have decent bins a scope and a long lens camera that I didn't have last time. My Canada list is 93 from 2 trips (one as a birder to Newfoundland) so there is plenty of scope to improve that. I should manage 300+ for the year though.

With no exciting destinations on the horizon (which could change though), my focus this year will be building my New York list while I'm still here (that could also change late this year!), and making a point to get out once a week in winter rather than succumbing to the winter blues.

My long list of state targets include: Dovekie (also lifer), Razorbill, Atlantic Puffin, Purple Sandpiper, Great Cormorant, Painted Bunting and Black-headed Gull if those hang around a few more weeks, Black-backed Woodpecker, Spruce Grouse, Bicknell's Thrush (basically cleaning up the boreal specialties that I failed to find this year), some of the more southerly-breeding warblers, Little Gull, Northern Shrike, Rough-legged Hawk, Short-eared Owl.

I'm not a lister, so I obviously don't have any list goals.|=)| However, I would really like to see a Hooded Warbler, Snowy Owl and/or Long-tailed Duck this year.

Hooded warbler breeds just north of Allentown at Bake Oven Knob. Not sure if there is a breeding population closer to you though.

Oldsquaw should be possible at the Jersey Shore. Barnegat Light would be a good choice.

Snowy is just luck. Watch the hotlines.

This summer I'll be working at Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado, so there's a whole suite of potential lifers to see in the several months I'll be in the state:

Dusky Grouse
White-tailed Ptarmigan
Northern Bobwhite
Scaled Quail
Mississippi Kite
Northern Goshawk
Eastern Screech-Owl
Red-headed Woodpecker
American Three-toed Woodpecker
Cordilleran Flycatcher
Eastern Kingbird
Chestnut-collared Longspur
Dickcissel

I also have a good chance of seeing some eastern birds I haven't seen in years, such as Red-bellied Woodpecker, Blue Jay, Eastern Bluebird, and Common Grackle.

Thanks for the tips, Jeff! I really should get up to Bake Oven this summer. Long-tailed Ducks are seen fairly regularly inland as well, so it's only a matter of time before I see one. Snowy Owl will be tough... I missed the boat on the huge irruption a couple years ago.|=)|

I've promised not to do any year-listing after an impromptu mammal list developed last year, so this year is about specific targets:

- one more British Isles bird form for 400 photographed

- still a few mammals to photograph, Common Vole, Wildcat and bats not-in-the-hand (skipping the easy ones a bit!)

- Various butterflies and dragonflies to do digitally, and mothing in the garden.

Plus any twitches of course!

John

well three days and already one major target down, North America's most cooperative Black-headed Gull. Although not so cooperative that I didn't have to sort through a hundred Ring-billed Gulls to find it :(

Got two of my state targets yesterday, Northern Shrike and Rough-legged Hawk.

Had a thought of trying for 100 species in each month of the year (within New York state). That will be pretty easy in spring/summer, wondering if it's realistic for Jan/Feb though, especially Feb when I will not be making another 5-hour drive to NYC and the coast and all the water upstate might be frozen over. I'm at 42 for January so far.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back