• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

d5-equivalent mirrorless rumors (1 Viewer)

That's always been a mid-term goal. With the DSLR D6 taking care of 2020 Tokyo Olympics duties, and the next high-end Mirrorless set to be the high resolution 'Z8' (using Sony's 60MP chip?), I don't think I'd expect a Mirrorless D5 or 6 equivalent to be making a debut before 2023. I'd expect 2024 to be the Mirrorless Olympics ....

It would be interesting (though I think hardly helpful) if Nikon pegged the Mirrorless Pro at 'D5' levels rather than take over from the D6 ...... surely they wouldn't play that old (and obsolete) tune ....

Of course that means upgrading lenses as well (along the lines of Sony's new 600 f4 GM with it's uprated and future-proofed faster AF motors and communication pathways). The way to leapfrog Sony and clearly take the lens crown would be to incorporate Diffractive Optics into any upgraded supertelephotos and be the lightest Pro offering on the market. Sub 2.5kg 400 f2.8, 600 f4, and 800 f5.6 Z mount would be pretty sweet ...... I might be half a chance of hand holding them by then ! :cat:

Chosun :gh:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back