• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor near Debre Markos (Ethiopian Highland) (1 Viewer)

alfred huber

I found this Buzzard (i can`t think of anything else) near Debre Markos on the 25 of mai 17. My guess dark morph of European Honey Buzzard.

Attachments

• IMG_0104.jpg
    IMG_0104.jpg
    324.8 KB · Views: 104
nostril says Buteo not Pernis, most probably juvenile Augur dark morph as Steppe should not be there in May but difficult with this image

No, for me it's a buzzard.
Common Buzzard i think, maybe vulpinus.
Jean
There exists no record of Common Buzzard south of Egypt and I saw lots of vulpinus passing the area much earlier. But I think it could well be a dark morph of Augur if there exists a dark morph of this species. Just in the vicinity, I saw a pair of Adults.

There exists no record of Common Buzzard south of Egypt and I saw lots of vulpinus passing the area much earlier. But I think it could well be a dark morph of Augur if there exists a dark morph of this species. Just in the vicinity, I saw a pair of Adults.

vulpinus remains a race of Common Buzzard on most lists.

A dark morph Augur Buzzard is blacker and has a reddish tail. The young Augur doesn't look like this bird.
The dark morph of Steppe Buzzard is common and looks quite like that.
Note in particular the pale iris.
Here's an example
Jean

Attachments

• B. b.vulpinus.jpg
    B. b.vulpinus.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 54
Indeed this bird looks like the one from Debre Markos. Where did you take it? Season? I could not find a similar pic in the net nor in a book.

Below each photo is a line with a link called "Report" that can be used to report misidentified photos. The people running it have publicly said they appreciate people doing that.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back