• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds facing cull as flu detected (BBC News) (1 Viewer)

But if the feathers, pulverised manure etc. are contaminated, then its certainly possible that contaminated matter will enter another nearby facility. Staff which go between the two contaminated farms will more than likely carry turkey turd on their boots and I strongly suspect this as a cause of local contamination of the second farm.

It may also be interesting to examine the definition of "free range" as used by this company - it is high concentrations of birds that cause LPAI (which is found in wild birds) to become highly pathogenic.

I rather agree with redeyedvireo that RSPB should be pointing to the Bernard Matthews case (and many others worldwide) and demanding that poor biosecurity in industrial farming be ruled out as the likely cause before acknowledging the risk from LPAI transmission by wild birds.

I seem to recall last time the outbreak was caused by Bernard Matthews importing produce from Hungary, followed by cleaning it and then repackaging it as being British produce. Given this sort of dodgy but legal practice I wonder if turkeys reared abroad, imported and then given a couple of days to run around in fresh air could be classed not only as British but free-range too?

Nothing would surprise me less

I seem to recall last time the outbreak was caused by Bernard Matthews importing produce from Hungary, followed by cleaning it and then repackaging it as being British produce. Given this sort of dodgy but legal practice I wonder if turkeys reared abroad, imported and then given a couple of days to run around in fresh air could be classed not only as British but free-range too?

Hi ikw101: Yes, You never know what the case may be. (A bit late stepping in here at the moment, so excuse me if I have repeated anything here)

It could be a number of issues anything from foodstuffs right down to where the birds originated from. I am sure we will find out at the end of the day no matter what.

Everything that has occurred to do with F & M, Blue Tongue, TB scare, and now Bird Flu. Bird Flu may be from unhygienic/illegal feeding practices, illegal removal and disposal of dead animals, breeding birds from other infected birds (turkeys etc..) to many issues to mention. Transporting many animals from one farm to another.

To me the Bird Flu, sounds like the Badger Cull Issue all over again. Blame the wild birds - quick way to resolve the problem. :-C

It just shows how important it is to keep sturdy records of everything to do with Farm stock. All the records should be vigorously checked and rechecked like finding needle in a haystack would be. Strict regulations come to mind here.

Regards
Kathy

At last a major news outlet cottons on to the idea that wild birds may not be to blame... http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4721598.stm

An astonishing revelation. Just what is Auntie Beeb up to? First young Harry being rumbled and now this.

Surely it's just a coincidence that the latest outbreak is at premises operated by Redgrave Farm the same company as the site of the first outbreak. Co-incidentally Redgrave Farm is a subsidary of Gressingham Foods who according to their website as well as producing its home-reared Gressingham Duck, Gressingham Foods also rears Gressingham Geese from September through to January each year and imports a range of speciality poultry, including guinea fowl, quail and poussin.

2 minutes on Google provides a more credible connection than migrating birds or sparrows popping down ventilation shafts. If anybody from DEFRA is reading this and wants to employ me as an overpaid consultant please send me a pm.;)

Good to see what seems a bit of common sense to me. If I might make a point and apologies in advance if this may sound cynical and perhaps over simplified, but perhaps a parallel can be drawn with the badger and bovine tb situation?

So while I don't mean this to be a general broadside at farmers in general by any means - it does seem to me there is perhaps an element in the government and farming community that finds wild birds/badgers a convenient scapegoat that lets them off the hook and avoids the need to put manpower/money into solving a problem such as bird flu or bovine tb properly.

Just a thought anyway.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back