Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Anyone feels going back from Noctivid to the Ultravid HD...?

Old Friday 13th July 2018, 20:31   #1
spiralcoil

Anyone feels going back from Noctivid to the Ultravid HD...?

Couple years now since the new Noctivid is out....

Wonder any one feels the need or like to give up the 8x42 Noctivid going back to use a 7x42 Ultravid HD or the Plus (the now world's only prime quality 7x on the market)? For the smaller lighter size, wider field, steadier handling, perhaps a bit brighter... ?
Old Friday 13th July 2018, 21:19   #2
Canip

Good question, spiralcoil.
The switch from 8x42 to 7x42 is one thing, and I think I understand you when you say „... smaller lighter size, wider field, steadier handling, perhaps a bit brighter“.
But in addition to that, there is more, and that‘s of course only my own personal view:
As much as I like the fabulous optics of my 8x42 Noctivid, I think Leica lost a bit of its edge with the design (open hinge copied from Swaro and Zeiss, but too narrow to fit your fingers in) and the new focusing mechanism (without the typical „Leica click“ when you switch rotating direction) which I find slightly more „vague“.
I feel that Leica reached their perfection with the Ultravid HD+ series the same way Zeiss reached theirs with the Victory FL models. Of course later models (Noctivid, Victory SF) brought this or that improvement, but the total package is not really superior in my view.
Within the Ultravid HD and HD+ series, the 7x42 is perhaps one of the best (I have to say that I also very much like the 8x50, which is the only premium 8x50 on the market).

By the way: you write: „the only prime quality 7x on the market“ but I think you meant 7x42 (there are other 7x prime quality binos on the market, e.g. Nikon WX 7x50 or Zeiss 7x50 B/GA T, just to name two obvious ones).

Canip
Old Saturday 14th July 2018, 00:24   #3
spiralcoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canip View Post
Good question, spiralcoil.

... ...
By the way: you write: „the only prime quality 7x on the market“ but I think you meant 7x42 (there are other 7x prime quality binos on the market, e.g. Nikon WX 7x50 or Zeiss 7x50 B/GA T, just to name two obvious ones).

Canip
You are correct, I meant the 7x42 HD... Which was the one I used for a long time before the 8x42 Noctivid. And sometime still lamenting letting the 7x42HD changed to the 8x42 Noctivid.

However, will you going back from Noctivid to Ultravid?
Old Saturday 14th July 2018, 02:37   #4
dwever
African Fish Eagle Rwanda
BF Supporter 2018

I will NOT go back.

I agree that the 7x42 UVHD+ was a total package in just about every way (totally should of sold the 8x42’s instead). With the NVD though, I find no objection to the ergonomics or focus, and the NVD’s optics are unmatched by any other Leica.

So, while I don’t need to go back to the exceedingly satisfying UVHD+ 7x42, I would overwhelmingly welcome a NVD 7X42.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2EC3A4A0-85DC-4CE2-B3CC-AAD67C639A9B.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	668143  

Last edited by dwever : Saturday 14th July 2018 at 02:45.

BF Supporter 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 14th July 2018, 14:23   #5
Vespobuteo

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiralcoil View Post

Wonder any one feels the need or like to give up the 8x42 Noctivid going back to use a 7x42 Ultravid HD or the Plus (the now world's only prime quality 7x on the market)? For the smaller lighter size, wider field, steadier handling, perhaps a bit brighter... ?
I would say that 7x and 8x bins are different enough to motivate owning both.
I did a similar "upgrade" to SV 8.5x42 from my 7x42 FL.
But I'm glad I kept the 7x42 FL. The smaller lighter size, wider field, steadier handling and a bit brighter is nice to have occasionally.
Old Sunday 15th July 2018, 21:25   #6
chill6x6
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiralcoil View Post

As good as the Noctivid is...I'm not gonna give up the UVHD+ 7X72. You stated the reason! 7X depth of field is really nice. 7X42 are user-friendly by nature! I honestly don't use the Noctivids that much!

Old Yesterday, 07:56   #7
Canip

Quote:
Originally Posted by chill6x6 View Post
As good as the Noctivid is...I'm not gonna give up the UVHD+ 7X72. .....
7x72? Wow! You got one of these rare models?
Old Yesterday, 12:30   #8
chill6x6
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canip View Post
7x72? Wow! You got one of these rare models?
Talk about EXIT PUPIL!!!

LOL!!! Sorry! I've been doing that a lot lately! Too much work! I sign on for a quick post and screw it up! Of course I meant 7X42!

Old Yesterday, 12:58   #9
45northmt

The 7x42 UVHD is one of the finest bin's ever made... like looking through a huge, crystal clear picture window, bathing the eyes in light, delighting the soul. I'd not go to a Noctivid if I had the 7x42.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: