• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Skywatcher (1 Viewer)

stanacko

Do any of you guys know the difference between the Skywatcher Evostar 80 ED2 Pro & the 80 ED1 Pro, hope you can help many thanks in advance,
Stan.

As far as I know you will find few versions of the SW ED80:
- early versions (gold) with single speed crayford focuser
- newer versions (black) with single speed crayford focuser
- newer versions (black) with dual speed crayford focuser
Each could come with additional stuff: diagonal, eypiece(s), box, finderscope, etc.

Except the color of the tube and the single/dual speed focuser there seems to be no difference. The glass is the same (FPL-53 ED Fluorite glass) but it is possible for the newer versions to have a newer/better coating.
I don't know exactly the difference between ED 1 and ED2 because I have noticed that each dealer names each version in his own way (ED, DS, Pro1, Pro2, Gold, Evostar, etc, etc, for example here http://f1cameras.co.uk/shop.php?id=270&level=3# ) but it is better for you to look at the technical data and not at the name.

Last edited:
In my very limited knowledge, and reading about peoples gear, especially Pauls, the 80ED 2 is the same as the 80ED 1, but has the accessories / carry case. So in fact, its a kit

Someone will have to correct me if i have this all wrong.

I just bought this, and it was advertised as the 80ED2 pro. I checked out the 80ED1 and it was identical specs, except there were NO extras

SW80EDbits.jpg

P1100407.jpg

P1100406.jpg

P1100405.jpg

Hi Musoman
Many thanks for the info. I was one of those bidding for the kit, i was a bit miffed cause i had to go out & missed the last 10 mins, hope every thing goes ok.
Stan.

Thanks bud - i hope i did the right thing ;)

I've read everyones reviews, Pauls threads, others threads, and it seems a very good scope for the price. Only downside i can see is the fixed small aperture of f7.5
Dull days maybe its downfall, as raising the ISO to keep fast shutterspeeds ( at least on my 450D ) to over 800 is not a good thing

I also had my eye on a Travelstar 150p AZ3 - but i couldnt find out if it had the quality ED flourite glass like the Evostar. It certainly had a nice, wider aperture - f5 or f4 i think, @ 900mm ( if i can remember correctly )
But since i couldnt find the info about the quality, i left it alone

Musoman, you will have no trouble on dull days. I was using mine in the rain today and still managed 1/200 sec at ISO800. I also had the GSO set to give 4X and I was down to 1/80 sec but it was very gloomy. With a shutter release cable and mirror lock up it's not a problem. Usually I can get 1/400 and higher with the GSO and on a sunny day probably 1/1000.

Stanako, I use a service called Auctionsniper that will bid for me on ebay when I am out. It puts the bid in automatically in the last 7 seconds of the auction. You just tell it the auction number and your max bid and it does the rest. Has worked well for me over the years.

Paul.

Cheers Paul - i guess those numbers you use must mean the glass in the lens is REALLY good quality. As you know the 450D will MLU, and i already have a remoted cable release

I certainly couldnt shoot with those numbers with the Sigma 500 on such gloomy days

At 600mm the scope can be used at least till sunset as long as there is some available light. The photo of the deer in my digiscope gallery link was taken at sunset. I managed 1/100 at ISO800 for that photo with the Kenko 1.4X teleconverter and the deer was approx 100m distance.

Paul.

Yes, i've been lurking around your photos :t: - thats what decided me, and the info in these threads of course, to go the scope route.

Pauls photos also convinced me that there is no other option.
Think that a wider aperture is desirable but: it is more expensive, it is more heavy, more chromatic aberrations, more size, heavier/sturdy tripod, etc., etc. Anyway if you want to consider a wider aperture the you should think to another design and not to a ED doublet like Skywatcher. And APO triplet is more expensive and heavy..and this comes with f/6-f/8. For a good f/5 you must use a design with 4 lenses so more money , more weight...Cheap achromats with f/5 are not a solution for photo..they are good for visual.

Last edited:
Thanks Valey - Paul has convinced me that the Evostar will be fine in low light, so f7.5 is not the big hassle i thought it might be

:king:

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back