• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any Advice Nikon D80 or D5000 (1 Viewer)

kgbpasha

Uber User
For entry level camera, which one of these is a better birding camera or are they both equally okay?
Any advantages to one over another. I've read the reviews but not any reviews from a birder. Thanks for any advice.

I don't think either of those is a good option. The minimum I would get at todays prices is the D5200 and if possible the D5300. The sensors are much better as well as the autofocus. My wife has the 5300 and I have the 5200 and both will take very good pictures even in full auto. For birds these are what I would call the least you would want. The fun (and the money) come in the lenses. Its hard to do much with birds without a lot of mm's. 300 with a 1.4 teleconverter being the minimum and you just spent more than the price of either body. Try the 5200 and a few months will tell you if that will work for you or what you need to get that works better. Your not out a lot of money either way.
Steve

Well. It all depends on the lens you put on it and your skills. Neither D5000 nor D80 is a state of the art camera these days. However, I've seen breathtaking wildlife pictures taken with one generation older gear than these. Such as D70/D40/D50.

Out of these two I would prefer the D5000. The D80 has a few nice features (built-in AF motor for older lenses and brighter viewfinder), however I would go with slightly more modern D5000.

http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon_D5000-vs-Nikon_D80

I have the D80 and there is nothing wrong with it and it is a superb camera. I do agree with the others that it is an older generation camera and at your stage I would certainly try for the latest camera you can get for your money. That should be faster than the D80.

I would also consider M4/3 cameras which are improving at a fast rate. Fast auto and the reach is longer as a result of the smaller sensor.

Don't be put off by the D80's age. Yes its low MP is a draw back compared to some new higher MP camera's and It gives a bit of noise at the higher iso but for pictures being viewed on a pc or printed to about 16x10 it is still a great bit of kit. This camera was producing amazing images 10 years ago , it will still do the same now . It's down to your skill with the camera nothing more nothing less.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back