• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What can I replace my Sigma 150-500 with? (1 Viewer)

Debbie1905

Hello everyone,

After a year of aching shoulders, this summer I sold my Sigma 150-500mm lens, which I had been using on my Nikon D7000, because I just simply found the combined weight too much to carry for long walks (I'm only 5ft tall and 'over 50'). I bought instead a Canon SX50 and whilst it has great 'reach', I just can't stand the reduction in image quality in anything more than 30 feet away, and scrap most of the shots I take. I really miss the Sigma now, and almost wish I hadn't got rid, apart from knowing that it was too heavy.

Is there any combination of zoom lens/teleconverter, or I might consider a prime, that I could get for under £1000? I don't mind second hand, and I want to keep the camera, I love it. I've got a Sigma 70-300mm which I'm happy with. Ideally I'd like to be able to autofocus/VR, but really what I want is more reach without the weight of the Sigma.

There's so much information out there that I can't figure out what to get - I'd be really grateful for any suggestions, thanks.
Debbie

You could probably get a 300 F4 and 1.4x converter for under £1,000 - I managed it, by buying the converter second hand.

Not as much reach as the Sigma at 420mm but really good image quality if you keep the shutter speed up.

Seems to me that you are a bit out of luck. The weights according to DPReview are:
d7000 780g
sigma 150-500 1780g
nikon 300f4 1440g (and then the 1.4x on top)

So before converter, only 300g difference

If you want to have reach with less weight, you probably have to go micro 4/3. I assume your d7000 has a 1.5x crop factor, m4/3 has 2x, so the two lenses that go to 300mm would give you about the same reach as the 300f4 + 1.4x would on your d7000. Such a m4/3 combo (lens and camera) would come in at just below 1000g for Olympus and below 1100g for panasonic.

I also agree that most likely the m4/3 would have a slight disadvantage in high iso and some disadvantage for tracking AF.

Still, if you actually want something with more reach/less weight, I don't know how to do that.

Niels

No brainer. Sell the Nikon and get a used Canon 7d and Canon 400 f5.6 lens. Light and brilliant.
Sean

Fact-checking:
7dII is 910 g
400mm f5.6 is 1250 g

Total 2160 g, where the d7100 + 150-500 was 2560 g.

To Debbie: you are a Nikon person. Have you considered the nikon 1 system with their dedicated 75-300 mm? I have zero experience with that, so cannot say if it is any good.

Niels

As suggested by Sean, if image quality and weight is important, then 7D/D2 plus 400 f5.6 is pretth much the only option despite budget considerations. M4/3 and bridge will never give you what you're after.A more static type of photography from hides, feeding stations etc will certainly save the weight and inconvenience of walkabout photography. Sadly Reach=Weight and there's no way round that!
Russ

As suggested by Sean, if image quality and weight is important, then 7D/D2 plus 400 f5.6 is pretth much the only option despite budget considerations. M4/3 and bridge will never give you what you're after.A more static type of photography from hides, feeding stations etc will certainly save the weight and inconvenience of walkabout photography. Sadly Reach=Weight and there's no way round that!
Russ

Never is a very big word!

Debbie,

The "Nikon 1" series cameras may well be adequate, and if the new dedicated 70-300mm is good, then that might provide the answer you need.

The price of the V3 body plus the lens will be above your GBP 1,000 budget, but you might find a second hand V1 and then get the newly-launched lens. I have a V1, and whilst it has some limitations (eg poor performance at high ISO) it also has some amazing attributes (like the 10 fps shutter).

I can appreciate why you gave up the Bigma - I have been thinking about getting the new Tamron 150-600 to use on my D7100, but with a weight close to 2kg I am a bit loathed to lug it around! It seems that for highest possible quality at lowest possible weight the Canon 7D + 400mm f5.6 is the very best option.

Good luck with your decision,

Dave

Last edited:
If "aching shoulders" are caused by having a DSLR and Big Lens strapped around your neck a solution to your problem could be a decent carrier system, not the camera neck strap that comes in the box, that takes the load and spreads it more evenly over a larger body area. There are suspender-style systems out there similar to the ones some of us use for carrying binoculars, or something like the Cotton Carrier (http://buy.cottoncarrier.com/camera-carrier-vest-system-p/635rtl-s.htm).

UH

Debbie,

After an impromptu and very unwelcome run-in with gravity I've got shoulders that go 'snap' 'crackle' and 'pop' :-C

I used to say that I had the strength of a 4 year old girl, but now they just resemble the shoulders of a cricket bat !! :eek!:

I have the Nikon D7100 and Tamron 150-600. I mount it on a Black Rapid Sport sling which is fantastic for carrying all day no problem, and bracing against to steady shots even though the all up weight nears 2.7kg (6lb). In fact I usually run out of water before I do strength to carry the rig. My only wish would be for a similar sling attachment on the LHS for my x42 bins.

I find Tammy great at 600mm and wide open at close distances even in only semi-reasonable light, and also when stopped down to f8 on more distant subjects. Good light helps but great results can be had even at 1/400th sec with the VC and I always shoot at 1200mm with the 7100's 1.3x crop factor (see the Yellow Robin in my gallery ..... http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/92780). I've even had ridiculously good record shot results at 1/30th sec ! ......

Chosun :gh:

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I really want to keep my Nikon though. The guys in the camera shop told me not to get a sling-type strap as it would put too much pressure on the camera/lens joint. I've been taking photos since I was a small child, only birding for a couple of years - I'm just a bit frustrated that it's harder than I thought to combine the two! You've given me plenty to think about though, thanks.

The guys in the camera shop told me not to get a sling-type strap as it would put too much pressure on the camera/lens joint.
LOL I would suggest the guys in your Camera shop do not know what they are talking about, for a start when you use a sling-type harness/strap with a big(ish) lens you should attach it to the tripod foot of your lens and not the Camera, this does not put any pressure on the camera/lens joint whatsoever. A strap like the Black Rapid is loads better than using a neck strap. BTW they will take lenses twice the weight of yours with no problems.

Last edited:
Yes, that's right. That's the way I have mine set up - attached to the tripod foot. It's very well balanced - feels nothing like 6lbs hanging off it ..... more like 2 maybe??

You can adjust the strap so that it hangs unobtrusively by your hip - no problem at all to walk miles with it. It is actually very "rapid" to bring the camera to the eye. The sling system also has an adjustable stop which you can set so that the strap pulls tightly around your shoulders and back when the camera is lined up at eye level - helping to increase stability by bracing against yourself. I have noticed no slack whatsoever developing in the camera /lens mount after nearly a year.

Very worthwhile investment - wouldn't be without it ! :))

Chosun :gh:

PS. Apart from ongoing talk of the perpetually and maybe permanently late Nikon D400 / D9300, it is also rumoured that the D7100 may likely be replaced next year by an upgraded D7200. People poo-poo it, but I find the 1.3x in-camera crop invaluable .... more pixels on the bird and less unneeded background. Combined with the Tammy 150-600 .... If there's a better, more versatile rig offering better reach and performance for the weight, then I don't know what it is. It may be an option to get the Tammy now, and then upgrade the body down the track next year. .....

Last edited:
I now it's an older thread, but i second the use of a sling strap. I have secured it at little more, I took a snap hook from another shoulder strap and put it next to the snap hook from my sling strap. So now i have one attached to the triopod foot and another to the bottom of the camera. I have a D7100 and a Sigma 150-500, 56 years of age and can travel all day long without any stress of shoulder or neck.

I'm starting to wonder now if I should have kept the Sigma, sounds like the sling strap would have really helped. I had two straps on it - one on the camera and one on the lens, and was holding the lens by the grip handle as I walked to stop it putting pressure on the joint, so always ended up with shoulder/elbow ache! I had seriously studied the sling straps but the shop guys were adamant that it would be damaging, so I took their word for it.
Sadly, my 'windfall' ended up elsewhere (teenagers have great timing, just when you think you have a few quid!) so I have to stick with what I have for the time being. But thanks to all for your great advice.

Sigma 400mm 5.6 APO MACRO

Check out the Sigma 400mm 5.6 APO MACRO. There are several versions of this out there and the best one and probably only one worth buying is the APO MACRO version that has 77mm filter threads. The other versions have 72mm threads. I used to have this lens and found it very sharp. Reviews and comparisons have positioned it as a competitor to the Canon 400 5.6 prime.

Here is a review:

http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/306-sigma-af-400mm-f56-hsm-apo-macro-test-report--review

This lens is no longer in production and you can usually purchase it used for between USD $350-400. It is light and great for birding. Note that there was a HSM (onboard hypersonic autofocus motor) version for the Canon mounts. Sigma never made a HSM version for Nikon - so the Nikon mounts require your camera body's autofocus motor (which your D7000 has). Its my favorite Sigma lens and I only sold it in preparation for purchasing a Sigma 150-600 C.

Good luck. It is really a shame that there isn't a 400mm prime in production for Nikon any more.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back