• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk Butterflies and Moths (1 Viewer)

Has anyone seen white admiral in Lower Wood, Ashwellthorpe this year? Although they're historically supposed to be present I've never actually sen them at this site, and would be good to know if they are present. If so, is there a particular favoured area? Thanks!

There must have been a minimum of three valezina Silver-washed Fritillaries at Holt CP this year as I saw two together today in the area near the pond, and have seen a photo on Twitter of a very battered/pecked one. I'll certainly be keeping an eye out around Norwich in case there are some around.

G
That email hot on the heels of two reporting Silver-washed in Norwich (one near the station, the other in Magdelen street) both seen thursday. Also a Valezina SWF photographed thursday at Holt CP

Holt CP

During a brief visit to Holt Country Park this afternoon, there was a great variety of butterflies on show around the car park. Highlights included SW Fritillary, White Admiral, Grayling and a Broad Bordered Hawk Moth.

Cheers

Steve

Attachments

• Bee Hawkmoth cropped.jpg
    Bee Hawkmoth cropped.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 120
I was amazed how resiliant our butterflies are. After 10 days with very heavy rain and low sumer temperatures I was not expecting much on Fridays butterflu survey but counted well over 500 butterflies on the transact of of 20 species including 16 SW Fritillaries, 6 White Admarals and the first of the second brood of holly blues. In contrast dragonflies today seem to be very low in numbers compared to a few weeks ago.

"Possible" Yellow-legged Tort reported today, seen briefly at Weybourne. With several migrant moths turning up at traps last night this might be an interesting week.

Very fresh Painted lady - looked like it was on its first or an early flight - at Costessey (storm pond) today. Also Purple hairstreak. Others had Hummingbird hawkmoth. Keep forgetting to post about a Silver-washed Fritillary a fortnight back at the fishing lakes between Old and New Costessey.
White Admiral at the RBA office in Norwich (per RBA, obviously).

Natural Surroundings near Glandford

A White Letter Hairstreak (albeit a tatty specimen) was showing well as it fed on the nectar-rich wildflowers at Natural Surroundings today.

Apparently, individuals have been seen feeding at the site for the last week or so.

There was a great variety of other commoner species as well including Comma, Peacock, Gatekeeper, Meadow Brown and Red Admiral.
Cheers

Steve

Attachments

• WhiteLetterHairstreak.jpg
    WhiteLetterHairstreak.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 110
I have been told that a Silver-washed Fritillary was seen in Earlham Cemetery, Norwich, on Saturday. I'm still yet to see one in the Norwich area, but it seems they are around!

Most SWFs are getting tatty by now , but still good nembers about. I have seen 2 "Valezina" in the past week , the first I have found. They seem to be having a real bumper year. New broods of comma, red Admiral and peacock emerging daily and still a few white admirals about. Also saw a hummingbird hawk moth on budlia in Swanton Novers.

So, Purple Emperor near Felthorpe? Anyone know anything about this? It's not been reported but there seem to be rumours. PM if the site's sensitive.

That sounds interesting Andy as a bird watcher in the Watch point at Swanton Novers showed me a photo he took in his garden which is next to Sherringham Woods, last summer of a purple emperor.

We used to have them at Swanton Novers woods NNR until the mid 1960s and I have always kept an eye out for one , but never with any luck.

Last edited:
Norwich butterflies/moths

This time last year I had double figure counts for small tortoiseshell in our garden in Thorpe but this year I have seen just one and also red admiral and peacock numbers are down; on the up side we had hummingbird hawk moth on the buddelia at the weekend and today a tatty silver washed fritillary visited the garden ( see attached pic). Holly blues seem to be in good numbers as previous years and around the pond small china mark moths have appeared for the first time.

Attachments

• swfrit.jpg
    swfrit.jpg
    402.9 KB · Views: 84
On 22nd August a lady in Cromer apparently saw a Zebra Longwing (Heliconius charithonia) in her garden. On 23rd August a gentleman in Garboldisham photographed a Zebra Longwing in his garden.

I've seen the photo - it's a Zebra Longwing. So either we have two separate releases of the same species just a day apart, or one butterfly flying across the county, or a release of several in one spot that then dispersed across the county.

Incidentally they retail at over £6 a pupae so if this was an accidental escape it was an expensive accident. Or someone had a posh wedding.

Certainly this year's most bizarre record (so far)

I think that they have Zebra Longwing in the butterfly house at Banham Zoo, which could explain the Garboldisham sighting.

A good record of a Map butterfly seen at Pentney Caravan Park on Monday. Apparently there were several continental visitors at the site, so it presumably came in on one of their caravans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back