• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Noctuid, Nottm (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
Usually, I'd put this down as the variable Square-spot Rustic but the shape of the reniform stigmata and the fact that they're outlined and not at all filled in, made me want to run this past the group for confirmation or otherwise.

Just doesn't seem quite right for SsR does it?

Attachments

• rsz_p8240369.jpg
    rsz_p8240369.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 19
I agree it doesn't look right for SsR. How about Lesser Yellow Underwing?

Thanks Rosaria but it didn't have yellow underwings, I get LYU fairly regularly and do think I'd know that species.

I get a lot of very dark specimens here and did wonder if it may be a melanistic Rustic / Uncertain?

Edit:

The light was pretty bad this morning, here's a couple of slightly better shots, one of which shows just how dark it is.

Attachments

• rsz_p8240374.jpg
    rsz_p8240374.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 12
  • rsz_p8240377.jpg
    rsz_p8240377.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Have to disagree - it looks like a perfect Square-spot Rustic to me.

Really?

If it is, then I'd hardly say 'perfect', the kidney mark is almost always, more solidly filled rather than outlined.

Have to agree though that on the balance of probability, it is SsR.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back