• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone come across this beast before? (1 Viewer)

This is the kind of device I consider guilty until proved innocent. Looks like a big cheap spotting scope with a binoviewer attached. I've seen a few similar items other places.

The Spec page doesn't inspire any confidence. Calling eyepieces apochromatic doesn't make sense, especially since the 30mm eyepieces appear to be inexpensive generic plossls which could not supply the 155' field that is claimed at 20x. 25mm eyepieces would produce 24x on the same scope, not 30x. I'm afraid this shows all the signs of people who don't know what they're talking about.

Kristoffer,

The Kowa Highlander is a big binocular made from two 82mm scopes, not a single scope with a binoviewer attached.

Henry

Sorry guys this is not mine, I should of said so. I had them set it up for me when I was back down to the shoe shop. I traded my Swarovski 7x30 SLC in for the Swarovski 8x30SLC neu at this shop. This was my Christmas gift.:) The Swaro not the Kowa. I would like to see the look on my wife's face if I came back with the Kowa.:) Or maybe I wouldn't esp. if she saw the bill. They did have a Prominar model of the Kowa when I was down there and took pictures of the link on here. They wanted $3700 for it. It is no longer there this model was not the Prominar model. Funny when I looked through this model 32x seemed like more power, there was some CA but not bad at all. I liked it very much.
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=99221

Yup...a log home nestled among some mountains and streams, with a Kowa Highlander on the back porch...Steve, you sure know how to picture the good life.

There has been only one European response to this post, so I thought I'd throw this in…
The binoviewer (only) is an astro-scope attachment, Chinese, and an optically inferior copy of the Denkmeier series (which cost 3 or 4 times as much as this thing did). I got mine from BCF (Telescope House, London) and it's superb astronomically, used with long focal-length eyepieces. The image light is split into two, so there's some loss of contrast and definition (plus light loss from multiple glass surfaces).
The major problem is its weight - a counterbalance is required at the other end of the SCT - the Denkmeier weighs twice as much. The eyepieces have to be focussed individually, making the marriage to a scope for birdwatching rather idiotic, as one could spend all afternoon tweaking and shifting the focus before concentrating on the birds. Match shooting folk don't have this problem, as their target won't move. Not, in my humble opinion, something which'll catch on over here, thank god.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back