• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panasonic FZ150 (1 Viewer)

Here's a review by Photographyblog on the FZ150' autofocus

"The Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150's new Light Speed auto-focus system lives up to its name and is very fast to determine focus at around 0.1 seconds, plus there's virtually no shutter delay to speak of when you take a shot"

FZ150, Yes, it can!

Hello to all,
I am a proud owner of a Lumix FZ150, also owning a FZ45. I used to be a Nikon DLSR addict but also a professional naturalist, birdwatcher and wildlife tour leader, so it came a day that telescope, tripod1, cameras, tripod 2, binoculars, books, notebook, GPS and other stuff turned me into a kind of Mediterranean Sherpa. No way, I thought! and I sold my heavy photo stuff.

After having tested many models I arrived to the Panasonic Lumix FZ series pier, where I first bought a FZ100 model. After a couple of days, I gave it back because of the poor quality of the images taken with zoom at high range which gave a 'watercolour effect' more than neat images, due to the noise effect driven by the CMOS sensor.

Then I tested a FZ45 camera, where Panasonic partially solved the former noise effect as the camera has a built-in CCD sensor. Images started to be crispy enough for me. I have enjoyed many pictures with this gear, but I consider that speed focusing and a tilting LCD screen is a must for Nature photography, that's why I tested -and then bought- a FZ150.

FZ150 is a superb camera for me. Its new MOS sensor 'not an old CMOS one' on the FZ100 is a kind of CCD and CMOS hybrid, and the the sensor noise given now is lesser than the previous one in the FZ45 model. Superb!

But... have in mind! A bridge camera IS NOT a DSLR, and a wildlife image probably never will beat one taken with a 600 mm f:2.8 tube and a Nikon/Canon professional camera body, but who can afford expensive gear like that?

If you, as me, are interested in very decent shots, a satisfactory zoom range (unbeateable to document rarities or species seen very far), a superb macro with a comfortable Manual focus mode for insects and wildflowers, a very good quality landscape and general shots, the FZ150 should be nominated as your camera.

'The better the light, the better the shot', an obvious saying that in a brigde camera is a must. This, and use a tripod as oftenly as you can!!!o:)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63037493@N03/6232630206/in/set-72157627865634808/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63037493@N03/5945569452/in/set-72157627741299431/

Saludos

Jorge
PS. I enclose links to both pictures taken with a FZ150. Hope you like them!

Hi Jorge, I agree with everything you've said, although I kept my FZ100. I got the FZ150 today and really haven't had a proper play with it yet, as its getting dark here in Australia. Tomorrow I'll give it a better test. I like your pics as well.

I had the FZ45 until I dropped it, the only downside for me on the FZ45 was the lack of a tilting screen, (other than the lack of a tilting screen) ,I would have been happy with it now had I not dropped it and would certainly not be upgrading to the FZ47 or the FZ150.

As it is after I dropped my FZ45 and not being able to quickly obtain another FZ45 or FZ100 at a reasonable price I took an alternative route to the Fuji HS10 and then HS20 and I don't see myself making an upgrade from there any time soon.

Today I was going to try out the FZ150, but currently its raining, so I'll have to wait a little while and hope it clears. However, I have a couple of thoughts on the camera, both positive. Firstly the Ai mode now allows you to set the size of the image, eg 8mp, the result being that it then allows you to use the izoom feature, which isn't available in the Ai mode on previous FZ models. The other interesting feature (especially for bird shots) is that when you are in autofocus and you half depress the shutter button to focus (which seems quite fast), if the side lever is set to focus, you can then manually focus the camera. In other words, if the camera focuses on some leaves or branches, rather than the bird, all you have to do is continue to hold the focus button down and at the same time move the lever up or down to focus on the subject. How good is that? That's way better than the arrangement on the FZ100. Another feature is that the 12 fps will fire at that rate even when the ISO is greater than 100, unlike the FZ100, where once you upped the ISO the burst rate dropped to around 5 fps. I hope to have more information about the camera once I really get into using it properly.

....izoom feature
...... you can then manually focus the camera......

Great news, indeed. Not sure what the izoom feature brings, though. But that manual focus is exactly what I need. Now if only the EVF were a bit better to allow more precise focus adjustments.

I notice, by the way, that the price of the camera is starting to drop a bit. At least on US internet platforms.

when you are in autofocus and you half depress the shutter button to focus (which seems quite fast), if the side lever is set to focus, you can then manually focus the camera.

I tried this out today. It also magnifies an area in the EVF.

It proved almost impossible to get the focus sharp 'in' the EVF- but I will try again and take some test pix.

Here's a link to the same shot, just cropped and then edited: http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2270824&postcount=13661

Heres a rather stupid question....are the 150 and 150K the same thing?
Price on Amazon US is now 419.00 dollars.
My priorities are ease of use and sharp pictures, no tripod. Don't care about much else. Have an old Z3 and must say that the viewfinders, both electric and optical were awful. Sometimes it was just point and hope. This has made me wonder about other brands but honestly it just gets too exhausting to try to figure out. Don't understand why the tilt viewfind is so important, just hoping its better than the old one.

Heres a rather stupid question....are the 150 and 150K the same thing?
Price on Amazon US is now 419.00 dollars.
......... Don't understand why the tilt viewfind is so important, just hoping its better than the old one.

Can't answer the first part, but I have wondered about that too.

As for the viewfinders, the one most important feature on ANY camera to me is an EVF, or an optical one for that matter. But one that allows to stabilize the camera while taking pictures or videos, and one that works under all light conditions.

With Pana, letters following the number often denotes color, but can also seemingly be filler. The GH2 for example, have the following two models:
DMC-GH2K-K Black
DMC-GH2K-S Silver

according to Amazon.com. What the first K means I don't know, but it makes me believe that the 150 and 150K indeed are the same thing.

Niels

The other interesting feature (especially for bird shots) is that when you are in autofocus and you half depress the shutter button to focus (which seems quite fast), if the side lever is set to focus, you can then manually focus the camera. In other words, if the camera focuses on some leaves or branches, rather than the bird, all you have to do is continue to hold the focus button down and at the same time move the lever up or down to focus on the subject.

iA? or A?

which side focus - MF ?

I found ia was great for scenery - but not for birds in trees - this would help -
just need clarity above thanks

Don't understand why the tilt viewfind is so important

It’s particularly useful when taking, for example, insects that may be too high for one’s eye or at an odd angle.

Also, and similarly, video.

I have noticed that there is a concentration of ‘buttons’, on the rear of the camera and around the thumb plate: it is very easy to activate one of these inadvertently. The ‘Playback’ and ‘Video’ could also do with being less flush to the body and, as a result, are slightly difficult to locate by feel- usually necessitating a quick glance.

I am still more than happy with it, though.

Hi, yes the fz150 and fz150k are the same camera.
Not sure why the now superceded fz100 is more expensive
than the fz150. The K stands for black. There is no other colour
variant on this model.

Last edited:
Apologies if this has already been covered in the thread (if so, please point me back in the right direction :t:), but I wondered if it was possible to attach the 1.7 teleconverter to the FZ150 (with a suitable adapter)?
Thanks
Hobbes

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back