• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fz1000 (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
1 inch sensor, 25-400 mm, f2.8-4: those specs made me open my eyes a little wider. Oh, and 4k video (corresponding to taking an 8mpix picture 30 times a second).

Niels

Looks impressive. It's the successor to the camera that got me into photography: the FZ-30. Sony finally has some real competition in the premium compact space.

1 inch sensor, 25-400 mm, f2.8-4: those specs made me open my eyes a little wider. Oh, and 4k video (corresponding to taking an 8mpix picture 30 times a second).

Niels

A larger sensor, but also a much larger camera than the FZ200. It's too large for my purposes, but I have also come to realize how quickly the picture quality of the 200 is no longer adequate. Just don't try to crop too much.
Thus, a sensor about in between the 200 and the 1000 would probably be optimal for my personal needs. ;)

Even allowing for closer crops (more pixels on the subject), nowhere near enough reach for photographing wildlife. A DSLR with a 300mm lens is 450 or 480mm allowing for the crop factor of the camera; how many think that's adequate for their needs? Because it's more reach than the FZ1000.

Incidentally, I'm still a contented FZ150 user; it would take something very special (and small and light) to make me even think about a new camera

Even allowing for closer crops (more pixels on the subject), nowhere near enough reach for photographing wildlife.

But could be great for insects, macros and general backup to a DSLR, (although I concede it is rather expensive to be looked at like that).

The video capabilities look excellent, and don't forget the 'extended optical zoom' thingy that Panasonics do pretty well at lower megapixels which often works better than a simple crop. Anyone in the market for a flexible complement to a large lens DSLR might be very interested. I carry a Canon 7d and 400 f5.6 for birds but often turn to a superzoom for other wildlife and family shooting...

Sean

But could be great for insects, macros and general backup to a DSLR, (although I concede it is rather expensive to be looked at like that).

The video capabilities look excellent, and don't forget the 'extended optical zoom' thingy that Panasonics do pretty well at lower megapixels which often works better than a simple crop. Anyone in the market for a flexible complement to a large lens DSLR might be very interested. I carry a Canon 7d and 400 f5.6 for birds but often turn to a superzoom for other wildlife and family shooting...

Sean

The Extra Optical Zoom is useful, as you'll get a more accurate exposure reading, but it does have it's downside:

Lets say you set it at 5mp to give ? x zoom/fov, that 5mp is throughout the zoom range, not just when you get beyond the optical zoom (400mm in this case) So if you find a subject that fills the frame at just 10x zoom, instead of the 20mp you'll just have 5mp. That's just a quarter of the resolution/detail; quite a drop. For Web images, it makes no difference, but if you wanted to print (or I suppose project) large images, I'm pretty sure you'd notice the difference in fine detail.

I concede the FZ1000 has advantages, but it's not quite there yet for me. And I'd guess it would be much too big a camera if the focal length was more wildlife (not the tiny creatures ;) ) friendly

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back