• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How Is Your 2015 List Going? (1 Viewer)

Today my birding buddy and I went to high-altitude boreal forests and bogs in central West Virginia with a target list of three species that generally can't be found in our area of the state. We found two of our three targets. That puts my Year List at 213.

211. Olive-sided Flycatcher
213. Mourning Warbler

Dave

Nothing much. I am by the Platte River but bird life is little and access so far poor.
American Kestrel
Chimney Swift
I found those without binos.

Friday, June 5:

62) Cedar Waxwing

Sunday, June 7:

63) Indigo Bunting
64) Brown-headed Cowbird (finally!)

A couple of days ago I added 2015 Missouri Bird # 158 to my list:

158. Scissor-tailed Flycatcher (state bird of Oklahoma and somewhat unusual here in northwest Missouri)

A week in Utah helped my list quite a bit by adding some western birds:
241 Prairie Falcon
242 Canyon Wren
243 Common Raven
244 Say's Phoebe
245 Song Sparrow
246 Western Tanager
247 Black-headed Grosbeak
248 Black-capped Chickadee
249 Golden Eagle
250 Lazuli Bunting
251 Yellow Warbler
252 Black-billed Magpie
253 Western Wood-Pewee
254 Rock Wren
255 Zone-tailed Hawk
256 Phainopepla
257 Black Phoebe
258 Ash-throated Flycatcher
259 Wild Turkey
260 Costa's Hummingbird
261 Eared Grebe
262 American Dipper
263 Pine Siskin
264 Black-chinned Hummingbird
265 Red-naped Sapsucker
266 Violet-green Swallow
267 Steller's Jay
268 Fox Sparrow
269 Mountain Bluebird
270 Townsend's Solitaire
271 Dark-eyed Junco
272 California Quail
273 Bullock's Oriole
274 Green-tailed Towhee
275 Franklin's Gull
276 California Gull
277 Yellow-headed Blackbird
278 Sage Thrasher
279 Horned Lark
280 Western Meadowlark
281 Spotted Towhee
282 Clark's Nutcracker
283 Western Bluebird
284 Western Scrub-Jay
285 Cassin's Finch
286 Mountain Chickadee

Jeff

Got an armchair year-tick while entering records into Birdtrack - had completely failed to realise that the grey wagtail I saw at the weekend was the first of the year. How on earth have I not seen one previously?
Now 122 after dropping in to Blashford Lakes yesterday evening to look for (121) common tern and getting a bonus of a whitethroat (122) happily collecting insects for a brood somewhere nearby.

Still doing badly in terms of lifers. More effort needed.

Got an armchair year-tick while entering records into Birdtrack - had completely failed to realise that the grey wagtail I saw at the weekend was the first of the year. How on earth have I not seen one previously?

Funny how you sometimes miss really common birds, isn't it? I'm getting near to 300 species for the year and still haven't seen a blue-gray gnatcatcher.
Jeff

Thursday, June 11:

65) Eastern Wood-pewee
66) Red-bellied Woodpecker

Conditions: Summerlike - including the bloody humidity!

08 - 12 June. Petropavlovsk -Kamtchatki, Russia.

Another week struggling with beaurocracy, but I still managed to get some birding in in the evenings and a full day today. :t:

690 Pelagic Cormorant
691 Stellers Sea Eagle ( A single sub-adult in the harbour. )
692 Aleutian Tern (After waiting 54 years to see one - I get them 2 years in a row! )
693 Long-tailed Skua
694 Brunnichs Guillemot ( Thick-billed Murre ). ( Much commoner than Common Guillemot ).
695 Pigeon Guillemot
696 Long-billed Murrelet
697 Ancient Murrelet
698 Tufted Puffin
699 Horned Puffin
700 Nthn. Hawk Owl
701 Eur. Three-toed Woodpecker ( albidor are very different from other 3-toed taxa, much cleaner / brighter and with a subtly different head / neck pattern, as well as being isolated on Kamtchatka. Future split? )
["Kamtchatka" Magpie ]
702 Kamtchatka Leaf Warbler
703 Siberian Nuthatch. 1st since split.
704 Bluethroat
705 Swinhoes / Red-tailed Robin
706 Dark-sided Flycatcher
707 Taiga Flycatcher
708 Pechora Pipit

Today I went to the eastern panhandle of West Virginia to chase a local rarity. I easily found my target, which puts met at 214 for the year.

214. Loggerhead Shrike

This was a state lifer (number 248), but just barely. Earlier this spring the birds were nesting on the south side of a country lane, in Virginia, but today I was lucky to see them on the north side of the road, in West Virginia.

Dave

133. Rubythroated Hummingbird
134. Scarlet tanager
135. Wood thrush
136. Yellow-Billed cuckoo
137. Carolina wren
138. Ovenbird

Same route as my 299 and 300... but daytime this time:

301. MacGillivray's Warbler
302. Green-tailed Towhee

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back