• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Week near Quito in August (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
Dear all, as a run on visit after a Galapagos cruise, we would like to spend some time in Ecuador near Quito starting around August 15. I do not yet know how much time we have but for now am expecting around one week. This will be only my second visit to South America, with the first one going to Chile.

I am playing with two directions, Tandayapa-Bellavista (west) or Guanco-San Isidro (east). For one week I think two locations really suffice. Is there anything to recommend one direction over another?

Secondly, transportation. Firstly, I do not see my wife and I do this by public transport. Therefore, the options are between getting a vehicle for the week or using the lodge to make transportation arrangements. One part of this choice comes down to whether we would use a vehicle while at the lodge. Is there so much to see at each of the lodges that we would feel good about just staying there? Or are there locations nearby for special birds that one would just want to use 1-2 hours on going after?

Thanks for now - I probably will have more questions, it feels like being into the deep water here.

Niels

Is there so much to see at each of the lodges that we would feel good about just staying there? Or are there locations nearby for special birds that one would just want to use 1-2 hours on going after?

Having not yet visited I certainly won't offer any authoritative answer, and my own trip plan encompasses more time and more destinations. But I do plan to spend time at two self-contained birding lodges situated within birding reserves: Wildsumaco Lodge and Cabanas San Isidro. With one week split between Guango Lodge and San Isidro I would not hesitate to rely on their transport options and spend most (if not all) of my time within those reserves.

The same might be true for places like Bellavista. We will be in nearby Mindo for about a week, during which we will be relying on a local guide named Julia Patiño, who will be transporting us during the days to places like Bellavista and Rio Silanche.

Gary H

Thank you Gary. Those thoughts are similar to mine.

Next question is about the rain. I have read that the rainy season stretches into August on the eastern side of Andes but not on the western. I could easily imagine that the difference is much larger at 500 m elevation than at 2000 m, but I would still like to know what others have experienced at San Isodro and Guanco in August? Do we risk to have 2-3 days with lots of rain or is that more likely to happen at lower elevation?

Niels

I suggest you ask Carmen Bustamente of Cabanas San Isidro (and sister of the proprietor of Guango) directly. She is extremely helpful.
I visited a variety of places last year and recommend both of these places highly, and also Wild Sumaco.
Des

Just back from nearly 3 months based at Tandayapa - any questions, feel free to shoot me a message. A quick idea for now... Tandayapa is easy to bird the entire area from - we use a local taxi driver who knows all the birding sites and is truly very helpful. Daily rate runs around the $70 mark which is similar to hiring a car for a day. At least a whole day around the lodge is worthwhile, after going there via Yanacocha, another doing Bellavista & Mashpi or maybe Alambi, a morning at Milpe, a whole day to Rio Silanche, and a day trip up to Antisana / Papallacta is well worthwhile, and easy from Quito.

I spent the summer of 2014 working at San Isidro. While it rained for a bit most days, there was not a single day that was a washout. Happy to try to help if you do decide to go West but, as others have said, Carmen is a great person to speak to.

Agree with Lisle that, whichever slope you decide to go to, Antisana is definitely worth a visit.

Thank you guys. It sounds a lot like there is no wrong answer ;)

If I had 3 month available, I might have gone everywhere -- with the condition of having a job, that is not possible at this time.

again, thanks
Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back