• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White Stork Conundrum, Picardy, France (1 Viewer)

Pat MS

First of all, apologies for posting pics of birds on nests. These were taken last week at a well-protected bird reserve with several White Storks on site.

On looking at the two pics, I am puzzed by the beak colour. On reading up, it seems that all White Storks, young and adult, should have bright red beaks, although the young don't get their colouring until the following summer.

Can anyone explain the two birds in the left hand picture? The pics are of different nests. I have another photo in which the black-beaked bird seems to be caring for the other bird in the nest.

Attachments

• White stork black beak2.jpg
    White stork black beak2.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 87
  • White stork red beak2.jpg
    White stork red beak2.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 47
Beak color

Has the bird been feeding in dark-coloured mud? I was once completely fooled by a Mockingbird with a bright yellow chest, from feeding on yellow flowers.
Tony

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back