• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pelagic Trips (1 Viewer)

Lichfield Birder

...should've been here 5 minutes ago, mate....
Does anyone know what pelagic trips are planned this July/August off Cornwall. Any details would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Alan

It's funny how they used to pack out a giant ship with birders every August, but now that the Scillonian has stopped running these trips, there is hardly any demand and just a couple of boats running from the Scillies. I guess its difficult to organise a suitable replacement ship, licenced to carry passengers and big enough for the high seas. Still, strange economics.

You can of course get a day return on the Scillonian - this gives you about five hours at sea with a good chance of seeing plenty of birds. (I have seen Cory's, Great, Sooty, and Balearics plus Sabine's and Grey Phalaropes in mid-late August.) In previous years there have been some evening pelagics out of Sennen Cove - might be worth checking if these are running this year.
Ideally you might be able to day-trip the Scillies and get on one of the fishing boat pelagics but I don't think their usual operating times would fit in.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back