• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski BTX also for astronomy?? (1 Viewer)

Canip

I had posted this originally on CN, but since it might be of interest also for birders and other owners of the BTX, I take the liberty of posting it here:
————

Serious astronomers will always sneer at people using spotting scopes for astronomy. Way too many lenses, too much glass, with transmission figures in the high 80%s, instead of 90% and more as in proper astro refractors, therefore too much loss of light and contrast, and on top of that, spotting scopes usually come with a zoom eyepiece which is known to be sub-optimal optically when compared to a fixed focus eyepiece.

Nevertheless ....

Assuming you are a birder who got a Swarovski BTX and wonder whether you could use this to occasionally venture a bit into night sky observations ...
The BTX has received acclaim and excellent reviews for birding, wildlife and nature observation, see e.g.
http://www.houseofou...tember-2017.pdf

The BTX is a Swarovski ATX spotting scope with, instead of the regular ATX zoom eyepiece, a BTX binoviewer attached. The largest model is based on the 95mm objective module. With the ATX zoom eyepiece, you get a 30-70 x 95 spotting scope. If you attach the BTX eyepiece, you get a 95mm spotting scope with a 45 degree binoviewer and 35x magnification. With the optional ME 1.7x Extender, you get a spotting scope with 45 degree binoviewer and 60x magnification.
With the modular design of the Swarovski scope, you can therefore switch between the following configurations:
• 95mm (= 3.75‘‘) ATX spotting scope with 30x-70x magnification
• 95mm ATX spotting scope with 50x-120x magnification, using the 1.7x extender
• 95mm BTX spotting scope with binoviewer and fixed 35x magnification
• 95mm BTX spotting scope with binoviewer and fixed 60x magnification, using the 1.7x extender

Not with one word does Swarovski mention a potential usage of the ATX / BTX for astro on their website. It is only promoted for birding and nature observation. Nevertheless ....

I have been taking advantage of the nice weather the last few week to try out the BTX under the night sky. Seeing conditions at my location were average for deep sky but very satisfactory for the Moon, Jupiter and Saturn, so I focused on those three.
Some time ago, I had briefly used the BTX at 35x on the moon and found that it almost matched the optical performance of the Highlander 32x82 - not in terms of brightness, but contrast, detail recognition, absence of CA, edge sharpness were outstanding in my eyes.

This time, I used the BTX with the extender providing 60x, and intermittently, I switched to the ATX eyepiece (still with the extender) for some „high mag“ views at 100x and beyond.
To compare the Swaro, I used it side by side with both APM 70 ED and APM 82 ED BTs, the 70 with the Vixen SSW 7mm eyepiece (providing 57x magnification), and the 82 with the DeLite 7mm (providing 67x). With the BTX at 60x, I thought that would allow some sensible comparisons.

The BTX is almost the same length as the APM 82, but this one weighs – without eyepieces - 9.9 pounds, the APM 70 weighs 8.3 pounds. The BTX including extender and everything weighs 6.6 pounds, which makes its handling easy and the demand on mount and tripod modest.
I used the Vixen and Omegon fork mounts for the APM 70 and 82, respectively; Swarovski offers aluminium and carbon tripods of its own, and I used the heavier (but cheaper) aluminium tripod. Swarovski also offers its own mount which, together with an optional mount plate which allows the balancing out of the BTX, allows for a very smooth operation.

Moon (observed over a number of days)
The immediate impression: The BTX is slightly less bright than the 82 and the 70. This is not because of the size of the exit pupil (it’s 1.6mm in the BTX, and it was 1.2mm in each of the two APMs), but due to the “binoviewer effect”: with only one tube and a split light beam, there is less light for each eye.
The field of view is slightly smaller than in the 70 and roughly comparable with the 82, in the BTX the full moon disk and a surrounding circle of dark sky are visible. Edge sharpness is excellent in the BTX and at least on par with or better than the one in the APMs (for which I had chosen very good eyepieces, I believe). CA is well controlled, there is just a tiny hint of it in the outer parts of the FOV.
Central sharpness is also excellent. Rupes recta was no challenge for either instrument, Rima Birt, however, was beyond any of them.
(( Remark: switching to the one-eyed ATX configuration and using higher magnifications at 100x up, Rima Birt could just be detected ))
Rima Hyginus was again well visible in both the BTX and APM 70, but for some reason barely visible in the APM 82.
Vallis Schroeteri (best visible 3 nights before full moon) was again very well visible and clear with lots of detail in the BTX, followed in image quality by the APM 70 and then the APM 82.
Overall, as mentioned, the view in the BTX is slightly less bright in the BTX, which could explain why I was seeing so much detail on the surface of the moon (less dazzling than in the APMs), which could also mean that the BTX might be less ideal for deep sky observations, where light is usually a “scarce resource”. For the “moon hopper”, however, the BTX – both at 35x and at 60x – seems to be an excellent companion at this range of magnifications.

Jupiter (observed on three consecutive days)
Same immediate impression as on the moon: the image of the BTX is just slightly less bright than in the APMs. And same impression regarding central sharpness, contrast and absence of CA. Several horizontal bands are easily visible on the planet surface, the main ones – NEB and SEB – quite prominent. The BTX even shows the swirly nature of SEB quite nicely, I have hardly seen it that clearly in this instrument size.
The image in the two APMs is generally similar, but I recognized the swirls in SEB only after having seen them so clearly with the BTX and having specifically looked for them.
The large moons are obviously well visible, they are very point-like in the BTX and the APM 70, a bit “fluffier” in the APM 82.

Saturn (observed on two consecutive days)
Similar impression as with Jupiter, the BTX fares very well. I tried to see the Cassini division, but this was more guesswork than anything else in all three instruments, so I would say it was a “not visible”.
((Remark: just to confirm, I switched over to the ATX configuration and went up to 90-100x, then the division became visible))
It seemed to me that I could see the slightly brighter or “whiter” zone around the equator of the planet body, with the northern and southern parts of the planet darker than the central part. It was best visible in the BTX, which provided again very good contrast, and almost as well with the APM 70, a bit less so with the 82.

Preliminary conclusion:
The BTX competes rather well with similar sized binoscopes on objects like the moon and large planets. Whether its slightly darker image would represent a bit of a handicap for deep sky observations would remain to be seen (I would suspect it), but maybe large bright objects such as M42 would be manageable with it.
Is this a recommendation to buy a BTX for astro usage ? No. The only thing I wanted to find out was whether the avid birder with his or her BTX could also use it with profit for an occasional evening under the sky, instead of buying additional gear. In my opinion, the BTX performs well under the circumstances described above, plus it’s easy to handle and very light weight.
The keen astronomer, however, will probably be better off buying dedicated astro equipment, such as a binocular telescope, not least because of the price (the BTX with the mentioned accessories costs about as much as a same size Binoptic cost at the time, and roughly twice as much as e.g. an APM 82 with 2 sets of very nice eyepieces), but also because of the higher flexibility of a BT (the BTX can only be used with 35x and 60x).

For what it’s worth.
Canip

Hi Canip,
There is a great difference between amateur astronomers who regularly observe and submit observations to national or international bodies and those who observe on a casual basis.

Astronomers of all sorts and abilities are welcome, even armchair astronomers.

However, the ones who submit regular observations may number only 2,000 or 3,000 worldwide, a rare breed.

The casual observers maybe 100,000 to perhaps a million, who knows? Far less than birdwatchers worldwide.
Not many people want to observe at 3 a.m.

Any scope can be and is used, and any binocular, depending on the observation and needs of the observer.

There are daily observers who only use spotting scopes and binoculars and they are very skilled. Some individuals make thousands of observations and report them.

The idea that a scope that only transmits 80% and is useless for astronomy is ludicrous. Newtonians and large refractors often transmitted 60% with uncoated eyepieces and Herschel's speculum mirrors less. He discovered hundreds of objects.

The astronomers who lust after scopes transmitting 95% are not observers, they are optics aficionados.
Equally, the idea that a scope must be perfect is also only for non observers.
Planetary scopes should be top notch.
It is the observer and his or her skill that is important not the scope, so long as the scope is good enough.

I have seen 4 belts on Jupiter with a cheap Acuter 80mm spotting scope at 95x with a Huyghenian eyepiece. Through double glazing.

My friend's Royal 60mm f/12 doublet refractor probably showed more than a 95mm BTX because of its high quality and ability to take high magnification.
Any good 3 inch f/15 astro doublet refractor should show the Cassini division with the rings open.

The reason the sky was good, as mentioned above, for planets and not so good for deep sky objects, was probably good Seeing but average transparency.

If birdwatchers want to observe the night sky any scope will do so long as one does not expect to see more than can be seen.
If one expects to see what is repeatedly shown on photos one will be disappointed.

Most astronomers now are photographers not visual observers.

Last edited:
Canip,

I have to believe if someone who owns one of these, must look at the night sky.
Have fun, and by the way, I liked the backyard scenery with the two scopes on CN.
Possible clear sky's here on the Northeast Coast of the US tonight.

Andy W.

I have used my Nikon 82 ED angled spotter on the night sky and it worked good esp. for quick looks. I have quite a few of the eyepieces. I also have an Orion 100ED and a Celestron 80ED refractor but never compared these with the Nikon 82ED. I really don't think it would be fair. I have used both of the astro scopes during the day as well, not so easy to use but make up for it with the view.

https://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/485692/ppuser/28262

Last edited:
Astronomy is a vast subject, so visual observers use anything from 2x20 opera glasses to large telescopes.

Looking at a Saturn report for 2011, which has only recently been published, the 31 experienced observers used the following.

3 refractors of 5 inch, 6 inch and 10 inch aperture.

27 assorted mirror or compound scopes including Newtonians, SCTs, Maksutovs, R-C, Dall Kirkham and Cassegrain.
From 5 inch to 80 inch aperture.

One 90mm Makstov, which could be considered as a spotting scope.

Probably the best visual observer used 6 inch and 8 inch Newtonians, although he sometimes more recently uses a 20 inch Planewave? It is incredible the detail he sees on all the planets with the 8 inch Newtonian.

The spotting scope expert, not in the Saturn report, has seen things like Uranus around 1000 times and his diary reaches back decades. Daytime views of Venus etc.

Things like intensity estimates and surface detail giving rotational periods would be difficult with a BTX.
The main problem with the BTX for planets is the low magnification of 60x. It needs to reach 120x to 150x at least, and preferably 200x for serious planetary work.
In addition spotting scopes vary in quality and some are just not capable using high magnification.
They are optimised for terrestrial views of birds etc.
With light weight and small size essential.

The Mars report with 38 observers used a similar range of telescopes.

Also used was the 15 inch aperture Arago refractor at Paris observatory, and in the 1990s the Meudon 'Grand Lunette' 33 inch aperture refractor. This telescope has been used for a hundred years and is still very powerful, although undergoing restoration now.
These large refractors probably have 50% or 60% transmission and lots of CA.

The comet report includes observations with the 150 year old Northumberland refractor with the new 12 inch aperture doublet about f/20. This was made by AE optics, i.e Jim Hysom.
I find quite fascinating the small 4.5 inch reflector used by one observer, as he accurately estimates faint comet magnitudes, which would be beyond my capabilities.

I think that the BTX would be quite good observing comets.
The main thing needed is a dark sky.

So what astro observations would the BTX be good for?

The Moon.
Moon occultations of bright stars. Timing and possibly seeing hidden companions.

Brighter comets.
Variable stars.
Following bright asteroids, Uranus and Neptune.

Jupiter's moons.
Five Saturn moons. Titan, Rhea, Tethys, Dione and Iapetus.

Venus and Mercury phases.

Brighter deep sky objects. Open and globular clusters.
All Messier objects might be visible from the US, but some too low from U.K.

Artificial satellites.

Easy double stars.

The BTX would not be good for fine planetary detail.
Faint objects.
Close double stars.

Any selected good optical quality spotting scope from £150 new, or half that secondhand, would be useful for the above, but would only show brighter objects, whereas the BTX would show more and fainter objects.

Canip,
It would be interesting if you include here the actualisation you made of the use of the BTX with the X115 or include the CN link...;)

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back