• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Twitchers flock to see rare heron (BBC News) (1 Viewer)

I look forward to the day when junior journalists are able to write about birders without using "twitchers flocking"... One day, one day...

Given this is Greater Manchester being talked about, we're using "beauty spot" in the same sense as a disfiguring mole?

John

I hope you're joking mate, there's nowt wrong with (parts of) Greater Manchester especially Pennington Flash my local site!!!!!

James

But even I'd be stretched to describe Pennington as a "beauty spot"!

Great site, with an impressive list and good day to day birding, and not unpleasant on a nice day, but hardly beautiful!

As a fameous saying go's:

"Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder" ;)

Have to say been to Pennignton Flash a couple of times and it is a nice site to go birdwatching.

Given this is Greater Manchester being talked about, we're using "beauty spot" in the same sense as a disfiguring mole?

John

This is the kind of bilge I would expect from someone from Farnborough whose knowledge of the North-west probably comes from a Victorian novelette!

Give it 5 years and this wouldnt be any kind of story.

It hardly a story now! You never see any Trainspotter Headlines do you! Theres a thought, if Twitching is to Bird spotting/watching, then what is Trainspottings equivallent? Answers on a postcard please......!!B :)

Its incredibly lazy journalism. Every day there are twitchers descending on some part of the country. They must just have a template article that they use whenever they need a filler.

John

This is just like something we would say ourselves - we who live there !

Ah..............the sun setting behind the coal rucks..........Robins nesting in the burnt out cars.........police divers dredging the flashes............Magic !

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back