• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to attract insect eaters? (1 Viewer)

gerald762

England
I get several types of insect eaters in my land. Redstarts, chiffchaffs, willo warblers etc. What can I put out to attract them a bit closer?

The only way is to create suitable habitat and not use any form of pesticide, insecticide. Perhaps a line or boundary of hedgerow incorporating native broadleaved trees and shrubs with an understory of wild flowers and grasses. There is no instant fix as none of these come to feeders. Species such as these don't really like built up areas and on migration would look for sheltered cover, food and fresh water without disturbance. If you have a plot of land then you can do something to hopefully attract them.

Last edited:
The creation of extra habitat is of a greater timescale than I want to contemplate. But I live in an isolated spot so a bit of work might help. I will see if I can find mealworms locally. Thanks to you both for the help.

The creation of extra habitat is of a greater timescale than I want to contemplate. But I live in an isolated spot so a bit of work might help. I will see if I can find mealworms locally. Thanks to you both for the help.

If you are unable to find them locally, any number of suppliers will ship them to you. Mealworms enter dormancy in cold temps (like a refrigerator), so it’s possible to buy in bulk and store them, if you have someplace suitable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doubt you would get these live or dried where the poster lives, and not convinced that willow warblers or chiffchaffs would come to a feeder in an urban area. Hence my take on improving any habitat.

Doubt you would get these live or dried where the poster lives, and not convinced that willow warblers or chiffchaffs would come to a feeder in an urban area. Hence my take on improving any habitat.

I'm not sure where OP lives or the availability of mealworms there, sorry! I know there are places you can have live mealworms shipped.

RE: warblers and feeders, you are right, I have never seen a warbler AT the actual feeder, but they come to my backyard, which is where my feeder is located. We don't have chiffchaffs here, so I can't comment on those. But I just toss the worms in my grass and the worm eating birds enjoy them there. It took a while though, I had to do it every day for some time before the Robins and Bluebirds noticed, but I was consistent and now they are my regular backyard friends! I also do not use pesticides or chems of any kind on my property. The ants are out of control, but hey, at least the flickers are happy, and their presence makes ME happy, so it's a win-win.

The only way is to create suitable habitat and not use any form of pesticide, insecticide. Perhaps a line or boundary of hedgerow incorporating native broadleaved trees and shrubs with an understory of wild flowers and grasses. There is no instant fix as none of these come to feeders. Species such as these don't really like built up areas and on migration would look for sheltered cover, food and fresh water without disturbance. If you have a plot of land then you can do something to hopefully attract them.

+1 :t: As above +

Not to make an SBO, but indigenous plants (to your local area, and those particular bird species) will be important. 'Messy' planting or fractal structures work well - aim to increase edge effects - hence interface habitat. Sheltering shrubs will be critical, and if you can identify and get ones that do double duty all the better. ie. ones that emit an attractive (to insects) scent, or some type of nectar or sugars, etc, will be great. I don't know what your area is like, but white or pale small flowered dense shrubs often seem to work well for insects. Don't forget the other things they would like - moisture, warmth, mud, coarse, stringy, flaky barks, insect hotels, etc etc. Support the Web of Life, and it all comes together pretty quickly - the birds will love it :) :t:

Chosun :gh:

i agree on keeping a 100% natural garden or, as in my case, balcony
ones that emit an attractive (to insects) scent, or some type of nectar or sugars, etc, will be great. I don't know what your area is like, but white or pale small flowered dense shrubs often seem to work well for insects.
in my case i do composting on the plants of my balcony, and i attract flies and some fly and few bed bugs. do you think that could be quite good?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back