• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kerala and Goa (1 Viewer)

Wimpy

I'm just back from a two-week holiday in Kerala and Goa and thought I would give a brief review of our birding experience.
We don't do birding holidays; we holiday and fit in some birding.
It was fairly easy to pick up birds around the hotels we stayed at, but the highlights have to be a visit to the Periyar wildlife park, backwater cruise near Alappuzha, the Salim Ali reserve on Chorao island Panjim and a trip to the wildlife park at Bondla.

With the trip to Periyar we had an excellent, knowledgeable and enthusiastic guide who pointed out so many birds as we trekked through the forest.
At the Dr. Salim Ali reserve we were very lucky to meet Uday Mandrekar. We hired his boat and we were so lucky, early morning, low tide and a wonderfully hospitable local guide. Great birds but also an unforgettable experience gliding through the mangrove swamps and having tea and cake in Uday's house.
We completed our birding experience meeting Rama Govekar otherwise known as "Rayman" for the trip to Bondla. This was superb. It was hard to keep up with the variety of birds we saw.
How many ticks did we get? I'm still working on that!

We used "Birds of Southern India" by Grimmett and Inskip and Collins "birds of India" both of which were useful to a point, not very impressed with the colour plates. I had a couple of apps that were next to useless.

We had a wonderful experience in Southern India, so many good memories and so many good birds.

Roger

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back