• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Roundhay Park Bird News (1 Viewer)

So that's in the same area as Linda saw one earlier in the year. She had a good look at the bird so was sure of the id. Methinks a stakeout of the car park area on Wednesday may be called for. Wonder if we've any peanut butter in the house - smeared on bark it can attract LSW - I know a guy who used this to good effect at Potteric Carr.

Just to add, after further thought
Can one be arrested for smearing a tree in Roundhay Park with peanut butter; and
Will it also attract aggressive dogs with big teeth?

Oh Brin... don't use ordinary pnb, you need to get one formulated for birds! Our stuff has salt in it.

You can get it from CJ Wildlife, also there's a product called flutter butter and another, which comes in a 1kg tub, from Meridian.

another possible sighting of lesser spotted woodie in Roundhay Park today, in tree next to bus stop between entrance gate and Lido car park. Looked good size-wise but couldn't get close enough look, or a pic. Looked as if it flew into garden over road.

That's very encouraging. I'll try to fit in a stake out too

Just to add, after further thought
Can one be arrested for smearing a tree in Roundhay Park with peanut butter; and
Will it also attract aggressive dogs with big teeth?

You might get a few funny looks but I doubt you'd get arrested. Wouldn't have thought dogs would be attracted to it.

Have there been any more claims of lesser spotted woodpecker from the park in the last week - 10 days ? I met someone at Swillington last weekend who talked about some guy seeing it from his car, I think, whilst parked in the car park at the dam end of the park. Any updates appreciated ? Are the sightings genuine ? Seems plausible looking at the habitat.

On a quick visit to Waterloo Lake this evening, an immature Whooper Swan was in with the Mutes near the Cafe. This bird carried an orangey-red ring, but I didn't have any optical aids to read the number. If anyone gets the chance to read this in the next day or so it would be interesting to see where this bird is from.

Have there been any more claims of lesser spotted woodpecker from the park in the last week - 10 days ? I met someone at Swillington last weekend who talked about some guy seeing it from his car, I think, whilst parked in the car park at the dam end of the park. Any updates appreciated ? Are the sightings genuine ? Seems plausible looking at the habitat.

Not heard about any more sightings. That might have been my sighting that has been passed on to the point that I've turned into a guy!

Thanks Linda - I have been up to the dam end car park 3 times over past couple of weeks, but no joy although I didn't spend long there.

I'll see if the whooper swan still about tomorrow (been away for a couple of days - bad timing !)

Whooper Swan

Juv whooper swan still at Waterloo Lake this pm. It is colour-ringed and seems to be trying to get adopted by a pair of mute swans.

Also had a darvic-ringed herring gull by the cafe.

First swift over Roundhay this pm too !

Attachments

• DSC00669.JPG
    DSC00669.JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC00688.JPG
    DSC00688.JPG
    134.9 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC00689.JPG
    DSC00689.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 57
Had a walk round today, Whooper still there, it's following a mute swan like a shadow lol, the ring is orange with the letters YGX repeated.
Kingfisher treated us to a quick fly past near the cafe, saw what I think was a distance Stock dove (pic attached)
Poor Mute swan on the main pond has very recently lost a leg, we phoned the Yorkshire swan rescue who said they would come out today.

Attachments

• sd.jpg
    sd.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 73
  • whooper.jpg
    whooper.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 65
  • ring.jpg
    ring.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 62
  • mute.jpg
    mute.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Had a walk round today, Whooper still there, it's following a mute swan like a shadow lol, the ring is orange with the letters YGX repeated.
Kingfisher treated us to a quick fly past near the cafe, saw what I think was a distance Stock dove (pic attached)
Poor Mute swan on the main pond has very recently lost a leg, we phoned the Yorkshire swan rescue who said they would come out today.

Definitely stock dove. It will be good to know where the whooper has been ringed when you find out

Juv whooper swan still at Waterloo Lake this pm. It is colour-ringed and seems to be trying to get adopted by a pair of mute swans.

Also had a darvic-ringed herring gull by the cafe.

First swift over Roundhay this pm too !

Hi,

If you want more info on your colour-ringed Herring Gull, you can find out more at www.c-rbirding.org The Project Leader is Mike Jackson ([email protected]). He'll be able to give you more info on the bird if you send him the details of your sighting.

Cheers

Thanks Corvus. I will check the herring gull via Mike Jackson.

I have heard back from WWT (phone call) re. the whooper swan - apparently a 2nd year female it was ringed at Newmillerdam, Wakefield this winter - it might regularly hang around with mute swans as apparently the ringer there rings mutes and also caught this whooper - so might explain its behaviour. If I get anything further via email I will post it.

Colour-ringed herring gull. And as promised here is Mike Jackson's prompt response....

It’s a bird which was colour-ringed ringed at Harewood Whin landfill site, to the west of York, (53.960 -1.177). The bird was caught using a Cannon Net and is one of around 1750 Gulls which have been caught and colour ringed to date.

Harewood Whin is one of the decreasing number of Landfill sites in the UK where it is possible to operate for the catching and ringing of gulls. Whilst with us the gulls feed on the Landfill site during the day and roost on the floods in Lower Derwent Valley National Nature Reserve or on the Humber Estuary.

The bird was rung on 26th October 2015 and this is the first sighting since ringing.

Cheers, Tony

Thanks Corvus. I will check the herring gull via Mike Jackson.

I have heard back from WWT (phone call) re. the whooper swan - apparently a 2nd year female it was ringed at Newmillerdam, Wakefield this winter - it might regularly hang around with mute swans as apparently the ringer there rings mutes and also caught this whooper - so might explain its behaviour. If I get anything further via email I will post it.

I saw that swan at Newmillerdam earlier in the year

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back