• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opinion & Value of B&L Rochester Zephyr 7x35s? (1 Viewer)

pwjp2011

I was given a set of old B&L Zephyr 7x35 binoculars. Made in Rochester, NY. They are in the original box and look new (even the box looks new). The person that gave them to me said they were a wedding present years ago - probably 1950s/1960s. Looks like they were never used.

They have a nice looking viewing image but I cant honestly say they are any better than the other binoculars I have.

I am not sure about keeping them because I would hate to damage them, they are that pristine. They really belong in a museum or in a collectors collection. I am not a collector, I use my binos. So what are the value of these things. It appears on prices are all over the place.

Yes prices can be all over the place. Sometimes over the moon. The big internet auction site is the best place to go if you want to sell them. Personally, I'd keep them. I don't quite get the no better image than other binoculars as my Zephyr 8x30 are pretty impressive, considering they are almost as old as I am, dating to 1952.

I'd list them as like new, be sure to include plenty of good pictures, I'd set the buy it now at $200.00. I'd not take less than $100. There is value there, but there is where I'd place them.

PWJP,

There was a guy from Poland who posted here recently showing his collection of old Porro prism binoculars which were in mint condition. He seems like the kind of guy you might want to contact about yours. Unfortunately I can't remember his name. Maybe some one else here can?

Bob

Last edited:
Here are pics of the binoculars.

Many people (including myself ) have never seen a pair of Zephyrs in this condition so here are some pics.

Attachments

• IMG_4342.JPG
    IMG_4342.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_4343.JPG
    IMG_4343.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_4344.JPG
    IMG_4344.JPG
    133 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_4345.JPG
    IMG_4345.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_4346.JPG
    IMG_4346.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
More pics

Here are some more pics....

Attachments

• IMG_4347.JPG
    IMG_4347.JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_4348.JPG
    IMG_4348.JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_4349.JPG
    IMG_4349.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_4350.JPG
    IMG_4350.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_4351.JPG
    IMG_4351.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 203
Last pic & comments

I have to say the workmanship on these binoculars is amazing. They are made like a high end camera or firearm from back in the day. As they say they dont make them like this anymore.

From my reading they would probably sell for like $1500 today. Pretty crazy and on par with the high end today. Not sure I will sell them or not as I will probably never see a pair like this ever again.

Attachments

• IMG_4352.JPG
    IMG_4352.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Here are is some vintage advertising I found on the web with the specs:

Attachments

• 7741384940_e9754f77b6_b.jpg
    7741384940_e9754f77b6_b.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Wow. That's a beautiful example of a true vintage binocular. If you do sell I hope you get a price that reflects their (immaculate, if the photos are any guide) condition and value as a bit of US binocular history. Stunning classic.

I have to say the workmanship on these binoculars is amazing. They are made like a high end camera or firearm from back in the day. As they say they dont make them like this anymore.

From my reading they would probably sell for like $1500 today. Pretty crazy and on par with the high end today. Not sure I will sell them or not as I will probably never see a pair like this ever again.

I have owned several B & L Rochester binoculars over the years but the apparent condition of yours, plus the box and leather case, is truly remarkable. Be en garde, however, for stiff focusing (dried out lubricant), and fungus growth and dust on prisms. If all is good, you might actually see a price north of $1,000 if you decide to sell.

Last edited:
I have owned several B & L Rochester binoculars over the years but the apparent condition of yours, plus the box and leather case, is truly remarkable. Be en garde, however, for stiff focusing (dried out lubricant), and fungus growth and dust on prisms. If all is good, you might actually see a price north of $1,000 if you decide to sell.

Interesting about the price. It might be worth just hanging on to them and putting them away. I am hesitant to use them because of the condition, I dont even like handling them and I am very careful.

No stiff focusing, no fungus grown and no dust on prisms. Even the leather strap is completely intact and looks new. Basically its like a time warp in a box.

Per the woman I got them from she said they were a gift when she got married. They have been sitting in a drawer in her husbands dresser for the last 50+ years. She said she doesnt recall her husband ever using them.

Interesting about the price. It might be worth just hanging on to them and putting them away. I am hesitant to use them because of the condition, I dont even like handling them and I am very careful.

No stiff focusing, no fungus grown and no dust on prisms. Even the leather strap is completely intact and looks new. Basically its like a time warp in a box.

Per the woman I got them from she said they were a gift when she got married. They have been sitting in a drawer in her husbands dresser for the last 50+ years. She said she doesnt recall her husband ever using them.

Wow - very impressive. Some years ago, I acquired a privately purchased in 1940 B & L officers I.F. binocular (the purchaser had to supply evidence to B & L of being a commissioned officer to purchase the glass, and the case had a metal stud on the bottom to prevent the possibility of it being stood up and then knocked over). I was told that the unfortunate purchaser was killed in the war and never took the binocular with him when he was sent overseas. The binocular was consequently never used and was in the same condition as yours. It truly was a time warp and I much regret selling it. Just a thought.

Wow - very impressive. Some years ago, I acquired a privately purchased in 1940 B & L officers I.F. binocular (the purchaser had to supply evidence to B & L of being a commissioned officer to purchase the glass, and the case had a metal stud on the bottom to prevent the possibility of it being stood up and then knocked over). I was told that the unfortunate purchaser was killed in the war and never took the binocular with him when he was sent overseas. The binocular was consequently never used and was in the same condition as yours. It truly was a time warp and I much regret selling it. Just a thought.

I understand what you are saying which is why I am hesitant to sell them. I will probably never see a pair like this ever again.

That is a superb, pristine example, what did you decide to do ? If you have not sold them, I would say keep them, you wont see another like this. I am a collector, and I missed out on buying a used B&L Zephyr last year, it was boxed, with everything, but not quite as good as your one as the binocular had some light marks to the paintwork. That one went for just over £400 sterling. Thank you for showing, superb photos.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back