• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A few butterflies from Georgia (1 Viewer)

cafe birder

Supporter
I struggled with some of the species we saw last week in Georgia. While I was happy with Eastern dappled white the one attached here seemed at least a third bigger and too large for my recollection of any of the bath whites but I presume its something similar. The grayling was dark brown on the upperside and I really dont know anything about the types of tiger blue.

Any help greatly appreciated
Howard

Attachments

• bath white type georgia may 18.jpg
    bath white type georgia may 18.jpg
    320.7 KB · Views: 23
  • grayling type georgia small 1.JPG
    grayling type georgia small 1.JPG
    286.4 KB · Views: 19
  • tiger blue sp chachuna may 18.JPG
    tiger blue sp chachuna may 18.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 19
More from Georgia

Its blues this time..... Oh joy ! 2 from the Tiblisi sea (lake) and 2 from Chachuna. We also saw painted lady, brimstone, large white, small heath, eastern dappled whitescarce swallowtail, queen of spain and another fritillary which a friend photographed. Never large numbers apart from the bath white type. I do suspect that one of the blues may turn out to be a copper such are the limits of my ability.

Thanks again
Howard

Attachments

• blue 1 tiblisi may 18.jpg
    blue 1 tiblisi may 18.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 14
  • blue 2 tiblisi may 18.JPG
    blue 2 tiblisi may 18.JPG
    214.3 KB · Views: 11
  • blue 3 georgia may 18.jpg
    blue 3 georgia may 18.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 9
  • blue 4 chachuna georgia may 18.jpg
    blue 4 chachuna georgia may 18.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 15
Reading about the White, I quote from Tolmon and Lewington in relation to WDW but same should apply I think to Eastern.

'Very large specimens with paler yellow-green underside, which usually accompany the first brood, are possibly the progeny of the first brood of the previous season'

I'm wondering about Iolas Blue for 662838, 6662839 second looks like Common Blue?

The last shot in that set looks like Orange-banded Hairstreak Satyrium ledereri which confusingly, doesn't show a tail in Collins?

A

Last edited:
Thanks Andy,
Orange banded hairstreaks from the transcaucasus apparently do have tails so you were spot on with that one
Howard

I'll trespass on Howard's thread.

The first is presumably a Wood White species - Ananuri north of Tblisi - 06.05.18.

The second is presumably a Scarce Swallowtail - Ananuri, north of Tblisi - 09.05.18.

The third is presumably Queen of Spain Fritillary - between Tblisi and Dedoplis - 09.05.18.

The fourth and fifth are presumably Little Tiger Blue and Eastern Dappled White from Chachuna on 10.05.18.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• C Wood White sp 01.jpg
    C Wood White sp 01.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 4
  • B Swallowtail 02.jpg
    B Swallowtail 02.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 5
  • D Fritillary 02.JPG
    D Fritillary 02.JPG
    465.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Tiger Blue.jpg
    Tiger Blue.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 5
  • White.jpg
    White.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 4
These three are Blues from Chachuna on 10.05.18 - the first two the same damaged individual. Presumably Common Blues?

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Blue 01.jpg
    Blue 01.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Blue 02.jpg
    Blue 02.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Blue 03.jpg
    Blue 03.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 3
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back