• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What's in a field journal? (1 Viewer)

eal2004

I have friends who have been long-term, avid birders, and I am currently taking an introduction to Ornithology class this semester. I have started a field journal to record what I see. I've included information about the bird identification (i.e., how I think I know what it is), location, activity. I have been including information about the weather and the time of day.

I am curious to know what other information other birders include in their field journals. Thanks, in advance, for any suggestions or guidance.

Hi eal and welcome to BirdForum,

That seems a good start! I would also note the numbers of birds seen and if appropriate, direction of flight as this can sometimes provide insights into migration.

Record whatever you can and as much as you can! What appears irrelevant at the time can show a trend over time! Looking back over old journals can provide a fascinating retrospective glimpse at bird behaviour.

For instance, Until very recently, I didn't realise that UK Wood Pigeons, (Columba palumbus) migrate in Autumn. After noting 847 South West on 05 Nov, it was only after looking at old notes that I noticed an almost identical movement a year earlier. Almost to the day!

Knowledge breeds knowledge!

Happy birding,

Hi eal, Welcome to Birdforum, on behalf of all the Staff here!

That is an interesting question! I've not taken fieldnotes for a few years now ;) include as much detail as you can; microhabitat preferences, responses to outside influences, passers-by, predators etc,; anything that you can look back on and make use of later, perhaps to annotate your field guide. Sketching feather groups will help to sharpen your ID skills, mapping of defended Winter or breeding territories to enable you to estimate population sizes......

Cheers,

Andy

Hi, eal, and welcome to BirdForum!

The only consistent journal I keep is the one for our yard, where I record every species seen (104 in the 3 years I've lived here) and how many, including recording gender and juveniles where possible; nest sites; weather data; food preferences; illness/injuries; vocalizations (variations from the usual); interactions and behaviors with other birds/animals. Because I'm hopeless at drawing anything, I try to photograph all species and I paste those into the log where appropriate or use to document rarities. As Darren said, it can be invaluable over time for noting trends.

When I do birding away from home, I generally note just species, numbers, weather, location/habitat, and significant behaviors (mating, feeding young, nest-building, etc.).

The most important aspect, though, is having fun with it!

I second what's said here. After decades of birding, personally valuable for me have appeared:
-my local patch with annual observation gives a long-run perspective
-being interested in bird song I keep a singing bird diary ie. daily write down which birds have been singing: last ones were Carduelis carduelis, C. chloris & C. spinus on 20.10.
-also write down memarable happenings with birds & birders, that would be nice reading one day in rocking chair

Some of the people I've birded with have kept amazing journals with numbers of each species at each location they've visited. They've submitted their journal information to help build the B.C. breeding bird atlas. For most of us though, that is too much like work and would diminish our enjoyment of birding. I tend to generalize, writing things like: Reifel Bird Sanctuary. Good numbers of ducks including 2 Eurasian Widgeon and 5 Ring-necked Ducks. Three Black-crowned night Herons in shrubs along Fuller's Slough. One Hutton's Vireo, 2 Saw-whet owls roosting. No sign of reported Northern Goshawk....... Basically, you want to put as much information in your journal as you are happy putting in.

Thanks

I want to thank everyone for their suggestions. You have pointed out some things that I will be incorporating into my journaling exercises. Thanks again.

I do much as you Eal , i also record significant world or local events to help me fix the record for posterity.

Cuddy.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back