• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wet Optics (1 Viewer)

The gaffer

Enthusiastic amateur
As the weather has been a bit wet lately and I have had to terminate a field trip early because of wet binocular lenses and scope I wondered if anyone has came up with a solution to these problems.

I wiped the lenses but the rainwater merely smeared and the more effort I put in the more the rain came down. I do have waterproof binoclulars and scope so this was not a problem but if you can't see through the optics then that certainly is. :stuck:

The only thing I can think of is to keep some tissues in your pocket, you could extend your visit with the aid of them, depends how hard the rain is though.

Mick

If you've got a rainguard on your bins then use it to protect the oculars, best way to minimise rain on the OG is to only use them when needed and keep them facing down the rest of the time. With a scope have the lens hood out as this will offer some protection to the OG, if you've gto a stay on case keep the cover over the eyepiece when not in use.

postcardcv said:
If you've got a rainguard on your bins then use it to protect the oculars, best way to minimise rain on the OG is to only use them when needed and keep them facing down the rest of the time. With a scope have the lens hood out as this will offer some protection to the OG, if you've gto a stay on case keep the cover over the eyepiece when not in use.

Totally agree and with the scope, when temporarily not being used but likely to any minute, keep the lens hood extended and tip the scope down slightly with the eyepiece hood in place. That saves having to put the case cover on the objective lense which would entail retracting the lens hood. Put your hand over the eyepiece as you remove its cover and then cover it up with your eye, the eyepiece hardly ever gets wet. Same with the rain guard on the binnies.

Thank you for the help, it is most gratefully received and I will certainly try it out next time it rains.

I do have a rain cap for my binoculars but it was removing it that the lenses got wet. :egghead:

Iv just started using a solution from the opticians that cleans lenses of glasses. Would this when sprayed on take away the moisture as it dries, much in the same way wd40 works on water dispersment.

The gaffer said:
Thank you for the help, it is most gratefully received and I will certainly try it out next time it rains.

I do have a rain cap for my binoculars but it was removing it that the lenses got wet. :egghead:

Get a wide brimmed hat.

michaelmacey said:
Iv just started using a solution from the opticians that cleans lenses of glasses. Would this when sprayed on take away the moisture as it dries, much in the same way wd40 works on water dispersment.
I may be completely wrong here but generally spectacles do not have coated lenses and can be cleaned using all sorts of solutions. Bins and scope often have coated lenses and certain solvents can cause damage to the coating so I would go for the old clean water method of cleaning optics lenses. Keep solvents especially alcohol based solvents away from optics.

Oh, another tip. Keep the rain guard on when you are drinking whisky as well in case you spill it - potential double disaster of spilled expensive and rare whisky and damaged optics - ;)

Colin said:
I may be completely wrong here but generally spectacles do not have coated lenses and can be cleaned using all sorts of solutions. Bins and scope often have coated lenses and certain solvents can cause damage to the coating so I would go for the old clean water method of cleaning optics lenses. Keep solvents especially alcohol based solvents away from optics.

Oh, another tip. Keep the rain guard on when you are drinking whisky as well in case you spill it - potential double disaster of spilled expensive and rare whisky and damaged optics - ;)

The solution is a non-alcohol based one. I take your point tho. I asked on the forum about it and a few people seem to use it. I think perhaps before i use it again i'll double check in the shop. Fingers crossed.

Has anyone out there had trouble with water based solutions such as this? Would be nice to hear from anyone about it. Thanks Mick

The gaffer said:
As the weather has been a bit wet lately and I have had to terminate a field trip early because of wet binocular lenses and scope I wondered if anyone has came up with a solution to these problems.

I wiped the lenses but the rainwater merely smeared and the more effort I put in the more the rain came down. I do have waterproof binoclulars and scope so this was not a problem but if you can't see through the optics then that certainly is. :stuck:

I've found that one of the larger rubber air blower devices works wonders at clearing rain of the lenses when out and about and cuts down on the need to wipe them.

The best way to clean any lens spectacle, bins or scope is with a decent, dedicated optics cleaner with a micro-fibre cloth. As the sprays etc are now supplied with a pump action rather than an aerosol action, there are no alcohol based products on the market (or shouldn't be). Certainly use a blower to remove any loose particles, but then apply the spray and gently take it off with the micro-fibre cloth.
Under no circumstances try to clean any coated lens when the lens is dry, this is the easiest way to damage the coating.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back