• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (31 Viewers)

Good to see Gary shoe-horning in a few UW references, currently live on Springwatch Extra (BBC Red Button). True what they say about the camera adding a few pounds ....

Gazza You did good mate.B :)
well impressed and getting a few upton mentions as well.
stay safe mate and switch your mobile on. even mentioned Mr Andrews twice.8-P

Biking Birder on Springwatch Extra

Interested to see the Biking Birder on Springwatch Extra - thanks for putting the link on the forum.
Looking forward to seeing him again on Springwatch Unsprung at 9pm this evening. The format for Unsprung is different this year, hosted by Chris Packham himself.
Good luck with the rest of your trip Gary.

QUOTE=Sy V;3223076]Here it is Phil. Just watching it now...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b05xwc16/springwatch-extra-2015-4-breakfast-26052015[/QUOTE]

Random observations

But first big thanks to Paul and Terry who spent 3-4 hours brush-cutting the paths around the Moors and the Salwarpe. We can now walk the bounds without fear of being stung. Great job, guys.

The Moors:
Two Hobbies flew over the NM car-park this morning. (Mike and Yvonne saw and photographed another later this morning.) Terns seem to have taken up residence on four of the five rafts but BHGs are flat-sharing on some. The GCG is still carrying the stripy youngster on her back.

The Flashes:
I didn't feel up to the challenge of counting Avocets and chicks but there were still 8 shelducklings and 8 Shoveler young; eventually 4 Lapwing chicks appeared on the extreme right of the hide.

North Moors:
There were some splendid close-up views of Reed Warblers from the first viewing-screen.

Peter

Random observations

But first big thanks to Paul and Terry who spent 3-4 hours brush-cutting the paths around the Moors and the Salwarpe. We can now walk the bounds without fear of being stung. Great job, guys.

The Moors:
Two Hobbies flew over the NM car-park this morning. (Mike and Yvonne saw and photographed another later this morning.) Terns seem to have taken up residence on four of the five rafts but BHGs are flat-sharing on some. The GCG is still carrying the stripy youngster on her back.

The Flashes:
I didn't feel up to the challenge of counting Avocets and chicks but there were still 8 shelducklings and 8 Shoveler young; eventually 4 Lapwing chicks appeared on the extreme right of the hide.

North Moors:
There were some splendid close-up views of Reed Warblers from the first viewing-screen.

Peter

Any sign of the godwits at the Flashes Peter?

Belt & Braces

I know there are notices on the hides to warn people about the annual Absolute Beginners Birdwatching course that will be running this coming Saturday and I think John included this in an earlier post about visiting groups but I thought I'd just remind people on here too!

We have a full course again this year which, assuming I do not put them off, o:D can only be a good thing for the reserve and Worcestershire birding in general, so I hope the inconvenience will be accepted by all of you.

We meet off site for a bit of an introductory talk and then head for the Jacobs Hide around midday, after 90 mins at the most we'll walk over to the Flashes and finish in the Avocet hide at about 3.30 / 4.00 p.m.

I have my fingers crossed that any rarity turns up as we are about to leave and not on Friday evening!

Roger

Black tailed godwits still present at 6pm feeding in the middle of the flashes, they really did not move far for the hour and a half i was there. The avaocet chicks are growing and practicing their wing beating....really cute 8-P

Today's highlights:

FLASHES/HEN POOL*
Black-tailed Godwit (2)--------------Avocet (28) + 23 chicks and one bird sitting.
Lapwing (6) + 2:2 chicks------------LRP (3) inc sitting bird.
Oystercatcher (3)--------------------Shoveler (pr)+ male + 8 chicks
Gadwall(2m)-------------------------Shelduck (7) + 8 chicks
Tufted Duck (21)---------------------House Martin (c30)
Peregrine-----------------------------*Cetti's Warbler

MOORS/NORTH MOORS*
Med Gull (2s)-------------------------Common Tern (8). Three boxes occupied
Lapwing (2) + 2 chicks---------------Oystercatcher (2) + chick
Shelduck (3)--------------------------Shoveler (1) + (1)*
Tufted Duck (c40)--------------------G C Grebe (3) + chick
Little Grebe (2)-----------------------Whitethroat (1)+(2)*
Cetti's Warbler (2) + (1)*------------Kingfisher
Greylag Goose (12)-------------------Chiffchaff family along east track.

ED RES/SAILING POOL:
Cetti's Warbler-----------------------Tufted Duck (8)
Greylag Goose (2)+ 4 young

Des.

1. Another BHG chick lost.
2. This Carrion Crow was dropping into the reeds & eventually took a chick of some kind dropped it into the water & then hung down from the reeds to eat it.
3. Heron gets a sLapwing! Parent bird trying to protect it's chicks.

Attachments

• 610_0059.jpg
    610_0059.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 92
  • 610_0160.jpg
    610_0160.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 87
  • 610_0708.jpg
    610_0708.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 119
Today's highlights:

FLASHES/HEN POOL*
Black-tailed Godwit (2)--------------Avocet (28) + 23 chicks and one bird sitting.
Lapwing (6) + 2:2 chicks------------LRP (3) inc sitting bird.
Oystercatcher (3)--------------------Shoveler (pr)+ male + 8 chicks
Gadwall(2m)-------------------------Shelduck (7) + 8 chicks
Tufted Duck (21)---------------------House Martin (c30)
Peregrine-----------------------------*Cetti's Warbler

MOORS/NORTH MOORS*
Med Gull (2s)-------------------------Common Tern (8). Three boxes occupied
Lapwing (2) + 2 chicks---------------Oystercatcher (2) + chick
Shelduck (3)--------------------------Shoveler (1) + (1)*
Tufted Duck (c40)--------------------G C Grebe (3) + chick
Little Grebe (2)-----------------------Whitethroat (1)+(2)*
Cetti's Warbler (2) + (1)*------------Kingfisher
Greylag Goose (12)-------------------Chiffchaff family along east track.

ED RES/SAILING POOL:
Cetti's Warbler-----------------------Tufted Duck (8)
Greylag Goose (2)+ 4 young

Des.

Looks like an unfortunate loss of several Lapwing chicks - are there two sitting birds still at the Flashes?

The survival rates for the chicks of waders that have bred at Upton Warren are as follows as per the BTO website; unfortunately they are not all quoted on a like-for-like basis:

Avocet - 0.410 (first 12 months)
Little Ringed Plover - no data available
Oystercatcher - 0.390 (0-5 years)
Lapwing - 0.595 (first 12 months)
Redshank - 0.430 (first 12 months)

I suspect that Avocet have the best rate at Upton Warren by some margin; if I have a spare hour or so later I will try crunching the numbers.

Well I have crunched the numbers and I suspect the results will come as no surprise. The below figures cover FLEDGING rates (as opposed to first year survival quoted in most cases above) for the period 1984 to 2014. Please note that whilst accurate for Avocet, Oystercatcher and Lapwing the figures for LRP and Lapwing represent the best case scenario and are probably in reality lower as earlier annual reports were not necessarily specific regarding the number of chicks initially hatched:

Avocet - 0.782
Oystercatcher - 0.625
Redshank - 0.567
Lapwing - 0.488
Little Ringed Plover - 0.410

The only figure that caused a raised eyebrow in a Roger Moore stylee was Redshank which is normally considered a poor breeder; it shows that IF (and it has been a big "if" in previous years) they do remain on the nest long enough to hatch out chicks then they are then relatively successful in raising them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back