• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where have the hummers gone? (1 Viewer)

Hummingbird Market

Folks ask us, at different times throughout the year, “What has happened to all my hummers"? It seems that the number of hummingbirds we attract to our feeders varies greatly through the cycle of a year’s time. While they may have had record numbers feeding in their backyards for the previous week or two, now they hardly have any. Why is that? This is an accurate observation that has some logical reasons attached to it.

Some days or weeks, there seems to be more hummingbirds than most, while during other days or weeks their numbers are so small they seemed to have almost disappeared. What causes these fluctuations in their numbers?

A few explanations easily cover the majority of reasons for such population increases and decreases. Southern Arizona increasingly sees more species and numbers overwinter here. Keep in mind that our region is a destination point for many hummers that migrate south for the winter. While we do have several species that are seen here most of the year, some numbers within those species are resident and others migratory.

Anna’s Hummingbird is a good example of this. This species has been reported in our region throughout the year. However, whenever the migrating Anna’s join the resident Anna’s here their number swell. The migrants begin arriving in November and December. This is the time of year most birders notice the greatest number of Anna’s. By the end of December, the females have built their nests. By January, they are incubating eggs and by February, the fledglings are trying out their newly feathered wings.

Each season brings other migratory hummers to our corner of the state. Again, these are the times when overall populations of individual species are at their greatest. Most folks enjoy feeding hummers particularly at these times. Moreover, it is at these times that the birds are most cooperative and the least territorial. These are the times of year when it is easiest to see multiple birds using the feeding simultaneously. Of course, the strategic location of the feeders enhances this effect, not just during migration, but year round. Strategic location means placing the feeders in such a way that a hummer cannot see or defend any other feeder other than the one he/she is using. Locating them at differing heights above ground level also helps encourage cooperation and lessen competition.

The major reason for this is tied to weather conditions and an abundance of natural foods in the wild. Whenever we receive any substantial or measurable amount of rain or moisture there is usually an increase in natural foods that become available. Not only does the rain/moisture provide extra opportunities for fresh drinking and bathing water, but for a blossoming of natural foods. During fall, winter, and spring months every rain will produce catkins, buds, and flowers that hummers will investigate for both insects and nectar. During and after the monsoon season, insects hatch out in enormous numbers. Whenever there is a plethora of natural foods in the wild, the birds become less visible at our feeding stations and more obvious in the field.

Following any significant moisture; various shrubs, bushes, trees, and even cacti bloom. Hummers have been known to sip the juices from ripened fruits, especially cultivated fruits like peaches and wild cactus fruits. Sometimes hummingbirds are observed probing flowers that do not produce nectar. In these cases, they are investigating for minute insects that make up the vast majority of their solid food diet. Other flower species are rich in sustaining energy in the form of liquid nectar. Some flowers are rich in both nectar and insects. When these conditions predominate, we are apt to see less numbers of hummingbirds at our feeders.

One way to increase the number of hummers feeding in your yard is to have a fruit feeder or two nearby the nectar feeders. Using overripe fruit like bananas or peaches attracts a small horde of fruit flies. Once the hummers realize that the fruit is attracting insects, they will fly over to the fruit feeder and gobble up those tiny insects. In a few hours time a new generation of fruit flies replaces those previously eaten by the hummers. In this way, you can provide both the nectar and insects they need to thrive and keep them around longer. Otherwise, off they go, away from your feeders looking for insects in the wild.

To a lesser degree, bad weather conditions can keep hummers away from backyard feeding stations, too. Extended rainy weather, especially combined with cold fronts and windy conditions may cause hummers to find a protected location and wait out the bad weather. If you have a feeder well placed for protection against rain and wind, the hummers will use it whenever they need a little extra energy. Otherwise, they may spend most of their time perched, preening and resting in a safe and secure location. It is during bad weather days that they spend more time resting than foraging for food.

I sometimes notice that my feeders have remained full for a longer period of time than usual. This is usually the result of predators hanging around looking to make a meal of the birds. At our feeding station we generally have a host of predators that come regularly looking for nests, eggs, nestlings and fledglings, and even adult birds. We have a family of three roadrunners that are daily visitors. Seasonally, we have Kestrels, Sharp-shinned Hawks, and Coopers Hawks that love to dive bomb into the feeding stations, scattering all the feeding birds. We also have our share of bobcats, ring-tailed cats (civit cats), snakes, and coyotes. Most nights we have at least one of several owl species. Most bird species, even hummingbirds, will remain under cover whenever predators are present.

Of course, keeping your nectar fresh is critically important. Nectar should be changed, on average, at least twice a week. If nectar spoils, that is, if the sugars change into alcohol or the solution changes from clear to cloudy, the hummers that normally frequent the feeders will look elsewhere for fresh nectar. So, keeping the nectar fresh is the best way to insure that you don’t lose your hummers so easily.

Tucson, AZ

Last edited:
I saw the article in the local paper yesterday about your company's sales of hummingbird nectar. You made a claim that sugar+water solution, which most of us have used for years, is not good for hummingbirds. Here is a quote from the newspaper:

"Although hummingbirds will come to any sweet liquid, it doesn't mean it's good for them," Friedman said.
"Nectar provides quick energy, like gas for your car. Not all energy is the same."
Friedman continued with the gas analogy, saying if you put the wrong gas into a luxury car, it can ruin the engine. Same goes for hummingbird nectar.
"Not all nectar is the same," Friedman said. "Sugar water is not nectar."
Birds have a hard time metabolizing the wrong type of sugars, and it wears out their livers and kidneys, Friedman said.
Hummingbird Market was born out of the desire to educate the public on the harmful effects of white sugar on hummingbirds.
"We just want people to learn how to do this properly," Friedman said. "Without doing them harm and to not cut their lives short just because they want to attract them (hummingbirds) to their yards.
We're as much educators as we are manufacturers and retailers."
Please post your research that shows that sugar+water solution is harmful.

Link to the full newspaper article: http://azstarnet.com/business/local...cle_3ee24ce7-4572-5e00-970f-2bf5f0fae5f2.html
Link to company website: http://www.hummingbirdmarket.com/

Last edited:
*crickets*
Sometimes no response can be telling.

I looked thru their website (http://www.hummingbirdmarket.com/) and it appears that their "research" amounts to reading thru published papers:

Peruse our website, discover important information about nectar, watch videos, read articles about hummingbirds, learn from the published scientific papers we have researched, get tips to assist yourself and your hummingbirds.

The list of published papers on their site is very long. I would just like to know which paper stated that sugar+water is harmful to hummingbirds.

Sometimes no response can be telling.

I looked thru their website (http://www.hummingbirdmarket.com/) and it appears that their "research" amounts to reading thru published papers:

The list of published papers on their site is very long. I would just like to know which paper stated that sugar+water is harmful to hummingbirds.

Yes, it's very long, quite a hodgepodge of popular/peer-reviewed and relevant/irrelevant articles, and looks as though much of it was copypasted from elsewhere. I didn't have time to go through it looking for specific papers that refute their claims, but I did see the names of biologists who have done such research. I don't know of any research that supports them.

Fortunately, it's not hard to refute claims based on false equivalence and argued via suggestive questions. This is from the "Science" portion of their site:

Perhaps many hummers are being "food imprinted," and acquire the taste of the nectar given to it early in its life by its mother and later in life, and plays a dominate [sic] role in hummingbird nectar choices. Thus, hummingbirds may have develop a preference for white table sugar.

But is it good for them?

...followed by several links related to the effects of white sugar on human health. You might almost think our friends at Hummingbird Market hadn't noticed that hummingbirds are a bit different from us nor ever wondered how they could have lasted >40 million years as nectar-feeding birds without adapting to sugar intake and blood sugar levels that would wreck human kidneys, livers, retinas, blood vessels, nerves, etc.

You also don't have to be a hummingbird wonk to ask why, if white sugar (sucrose) is so bad for hummingbirds, is it the main ingredient in their product?

You also don't have to be a hummingbird wonk to ask why, if white sugar (sucrose) is so bad for hummingbirds, is it the main ingredient in their product?
Excellent observation. Thanks.

I feel a bit uneasy when companies start adding chemicals to pure cane sugar+water solutions and selling it for what I feel is way too much. At least their nectar isn't crazy expensive. That's a plus, I guess.

Maybe they will come back and discuss this. And maybe their intent was to just scatter around some free advertising for their products. Oh well, I'm sticking with sugar+water for several reasons: it's easy to make (I don't do the boiling step), it's cheap, the birds seem to like it, and I've never seen a dead hummingbird in the many years I've been feeding them every day, 365 days a year.

(Also, the woodpeckers, orioles, and honey bees seem to love the sugar+water nectar: several more votes.)

Last edited:
On the editorial page of today's paper there is a lengthy rebuttal to Hummingbird Market's claim that sugar+water is harmful to hummingbirds. It is written by Paul Green, who has a Ph.D. in ornithology from the University of Edinburgh in Scotland and has been executive director of Tucson Audubon since 2007 (Contact him at [email protected])

The entire article: http://azstarnet.com/news/opinion/h...cle_645332f5-d7f3-573b-99a6-4e3b76ac5fa2.html

Here are some highlights of the rebuttal:
Many people in Tucson were alarmed to read a recent Daily Star story ("Local company creating better hummingbird food," July 24) suggesting the standard hummingbird feeder recipe of household white sugar dissolved in water was harmful to birds.

One of the owners of The Hummingbird Market, which manufactures a locally made "instant nectar" product that was recommended as a replacement for regular sugar, was quoted as saying, "Birds have a hard time metabolizing the wrong type of sugars, and it wears out their livers and kidneys." The perception created was that regular sugar water is harmful to hummingbirds.

What was the outcome of this statement? Local bird-watchers called in to the Tucson Audubon Nature Shops with concerns (and sometimes strongly expressed rebukes) about feeding regular homemade sugar water to hummingbirds.

So we asked ourselves, "Is there any published work among the extensive scientific literature on hummingbird nutrition indicating that feeding a mix of white sugar in water is harmful to wild, free-living hummingbirds?" We could not find any.

We also asked ourselves, "Does the literature suggest that a solution of any instant-nectar formula is more beneficial to wild, free-living hummingbirds than sugar water?" We could not find any published evidence.

The table sugar we eat and feed hummingbirds is called sucrose. The body (human or hummingbird) breaks down sucrose into its two components, simple sugars of glucose and fructose. Hummingbirds digest sucrose with almost 100 percent efficiency, and hummingbird-pollinated flowers tend to produce sucrose-dominated nectar. The commercial nectar mix described in the article contains sucrose, glucose, and fructose in proportions similar to the naturally occurring nectar of hummingbird-pollinated flowers. Chemically, this is the only demonstrated difference between it and regular white sugar.
So if you are one of the many thousands of people in Tucson who feed hummingbirds, Tucson Audubon recommends that you mix one part white sugar with four parts water and bring the solution to a boil, then cool before filling your hummingbird feeder.

And now a word about business

Interesting thread you have going here !

There is a reason why business wants to push consumers into buying "nectar" rather than making it themselves.

But to reveal what is going on we first need to look at the the Hummingbird Feeders. Have you noticed the prices of feeders at your local Big Box Hardware and Home Improvement Store seems quite reasonable. The material and construction are of good quality and if taken care of the feeder will last a lifetime ? From what I've seen they could easily charge 2 to 3 times what they are getting. Also notice the gambit by some of the plastic feeder manufacturers to sell them at ridiculous prices ? I'm talking about the 1 dollar and 5 dollar feeders. Those things are being sold at cost. And they are being sold at cost for a very specific reason.

Why would the manufacturers do that ? Because they know the money spent on "manufactured nectar" can be hundreds and thousands of time what the cost of the most expensive feeder is. And just as important nectar purchases happen over and over and over again thus creating a recurring revenue stream. In short there is very little money to be made in Feeder Sales. The place to make money is in nectar sales. It is to the industry benefit to get as many feeders out to the public as possible that's why the manufactures keep feeder prices low. And it is the same reason why Nectar Manufacturers come up with specious data to claim their product is better for the birds than granulated sugar water solution. Purchasing manufactured Nectar is a pure waste of money unless you want to save the time it takes to boil water and mix sugar.

Something to think about.

Have you noticed the prices of feeders at your local Big Box Hardware and Home Improvement Store seems quite reasonable. The material and construction are of good quality and if taken care of the feeder will last a lifetime ? From what I've seen they could easily charge 2 to 3 times what they are getting.

You've nailed the "instant nectar" scam, but I have to disagree on the feeder issue. I've never seen any really well-made, long-lasting feeders at big box stores. They're usually made from cheap materials that will fade, corrode, and/or fall apart after a few years (sooner in sunny or high-elevation locations). The more expensive models are more decorative than functional, which encourages impulse buying by people who have never fed hummingbirds before. If a first-time feeder buyer enjoys the experience of feeding hummingbirds, the company has a good chance of getting into their pockets again when they need a replacement or an additional feeder (provided they don't discover that there are more durable feeders that are easier to maintain).

It's too bad that well-designed feeders made from long-lasting materials aren't more widely available, but they're well worth the extra trouble and expense.

I've never seen any really well-made, long-lasting feeders at big box stores. They're usually made from cheap materials that will fade, corrode, and/or fall apart after a few years (sooner in sunny or high-elevation locations).
Yes, the Sonoran Desert sun and heat can destroy a cheap hummingbird feeder in a couple of years. Also keeping feeders out 365 days per year takes its toll on the cheap feeders.

I bought relatively expensive feeders about five years ago and I'm glad I did. I also hang them in the shade (as much as possible) and they all have covers.

Yes, the Sonoran Desert sun and heat can destroy a cheap hummingbird feeder in a couple of years. Also keeping feeders out 365 days per year takes its toll on the cheap feeders.

I bought relatively expensive feeders about five years ago and I'm glad I did. I also hang them in the shade (as much as possible) and they all have covers.

Care to tell us what make and model of feeder you purchased ?

They are here now on the East Coast USA. I purchased a few HB feeders from WildBirds Unlimited and the clear nectar from Lowe's. They never responded to the red nectar but they are hitting the feeders now with the clear liquid. I used my telephoto lens while I was only a few yards away for that tight and up close photo. I will download them off the CF card tomorrow and see if I can post them here. The HB have been here early in the day and then return in late afternoon. We even had one hovering outside out kitchen window (about 5' away) he stayed there for a long time,it was some show!

http://shop.wbu.com/c/feeders_hummingbird-and-oriole-feeders

Last edited:
It's too bad that well-designed feeders made from long-lasting materials aren't more widely available, but they're well worth the extra trouble and expense.

Sherrie the nature of your complaint sounds so diffuse that it makes me wonder what your expectations are. Ultra Violet light is some pretty nasty stuff. It will take the toughest materials and wear them out in short order. Corrosion is a chemical reaction reaction in which one part is metal. Take away the chemical and the reaction stops. Unfortunately taking away the chemical is in most cases difficult if not impossible.

Regarding Big Box Home Supply Stores the two that I am familiar with stock distributed name brands such as Perky Pet and Classic Brands. The price range runs from 11 dollars for the cheapest Glass - Plastic Feeder up to 27 dollars for the Glass - Metal Feeders. I have know of one person who has a Perky Pet Grand Master that has been using it continuously for 8 years needing only minor repairs. It's finishes has dulled quite a bit but it is every bit as functional as the day he bought it. To Perky Pet's credit they sell parts for the feeders they sell. Given the cost to process such orders they are barely worth trouble.

Returning to your complaint I can imagine your environment in Arizona are extra harsh. Did you know that plastics can be manufactured of polymers that are more resistant to degradation by Ultraviolet light ? Notice that the term "more resistant" is underlined. There is no such thing as UV Proof Plastic. The same thing can be said of painted metal surfaces when left out in the sun. Ever see what happens to a car when treated in the same manner ?

And that brings me to your expectations Sherrie. The 11 to 20 Dollars cost of a Brand Name Hummingbird Feeder is reasonable amount of money to pay for the purchase of any durable good. Try getting out of that same Big Box Home Hardware Outlet with a new type of product you have never purchased before. A 2 Cup Measuring Cup at your local grocery store will set you back 6 bucks. As to the durability issue people in your area of the country have a legitimate grievance but you must ask your self how much would you pay for additional durability ? If the feeder could be built to last 5 years instead of 3 would you pay 50 dollars for it ? How about if the feeder could be constructed to last 10 Years would you pay 100 Dollars for it ? "100 Dollars" you exclaim "why on earth would I do that.....pay 100 Dollars for a bird feeder ? " ! And that is the attitude the manufacturer confronts. Most people who set out to purchase a feeder have little idea what their needs are for what they are trying to accomplish. I know of no mass produced Hummingbird Feeder that is designed and constructed for high durability. (I would be most interested to know of any.) The Humzinger Feeder boasts a "Lifetime Guarantee" right on the box. This brought a wry smile to my face as I asked myself whose "Lifetime", mine or the feeder's ? An examination of the product showed it to be of no better construct if not worse than the other feeders on the market. Aspects to their credit seems to be listening to the market and developing their product line accordingly. The recently introduced 8 oz feeders target the largest source of waste a Hummingbirder faces, excessive nectar waste. This product shows promise although it needs refinement. For that matter I have not come across any website that gives a clear and concise explanation to the ab-initio Hummingbirder what total cost they will face to pursue their new found interest or how to develop a methodical step-by-step approach to grow a successful Hummingbird Feeder System. People are left to stumble along in their own way wasting money in the process.

To sum it up Feeder Manufacturers are out to do one thing, make money. And where they make most of their money is on Nectar Sales. Even if only 1 Percent of the Feeders sold result in Nectar Sales that is where they still make the bulk of their money. For that reason it is to their advantage to manufacture feeders of good quality at the cheapest price possible. Because expensive feeders don't sell and busted feeders don't hold nectar. Could feeders be built of higher durability ? Yes...But is it cost efficient for the manufacturer ? Not when the vast majority people are buying the cheap ones.

Last edited:
Maniac:

I've owned hummingbird feeders made by Droll Yankees* and Aspects* that were/are still perfectly functional after 10 to 20 years of use in the Arizona sun, including some of those "recently introduced" 8 oz. HummZinger Minis that I purchased in the early 1990s. These feeders cost me between $10 and $20 each. I also owned and/or maintained dozens of Perky-Pet feeders of various models between about 1980 and 1993. They are poorly designed and cheaply made, and I wouldn't use another one if you gave it to me.

Not surprisingly, Droll Yankees and Aspects are two of the most highly regarded bird feeder manufacturers in the U.S. Neither company sells "nectar," so they're not making any money at all off "Nectar Sales" [sic] unless they own stock in a sugar company.

Here is Aspects, Inc.'s guarantee:

At Aspects our Lifetime Guarantee is simple and absolute. We stand behind our products. We use the best materials available to ensure our customers, and the birds they feed, years of enjoyment. If at any time, your feeder fails due to defects in material or workmanship, we will repair or replace it, at our option. Just call, email, or write to us and we’ll make it right.
The sound you hear is your thesis crumbling.

I'm fascinated by your assertion that there's a need for (emphasis mine) "a clear and concise explanation to the ab-initio Hummingbirder [sic] what total cost they will face to pursue their new found interest" and "how to develop a methodical step-by-step approach to grow a successful Hummingbird Feeder System [sic]." Enjoying hummingbirds isn't like scuba diving or golf or World of Warcraft. It's as simple and cheap as you want it to be (you don't even need a feeder as long as you've got the right flowers). Anyone who says otherwise is probably trying to sell you an overpriced bag of sugar (like our friends at Hummingbird Market) or an e-book of their sure-fire hummingbird-attracting "secrets."

*Disclaimer: I have no financial interest in either of these companies. The HummZinger line by Aspects was inspired by an article I wrote for WildBird magazine in 1990, and I have voluntarily field tested products for both companies, but I have no ongoing consulting or endorsement relationship with either company.

I've owned hummingbird feeders made by Droll Yankees* and Aspects* that were/are still perfectly functional after 10 to 20 years of use in the Arizona sun, including some of those "recently introduced" 8 oz. HummZinger Minis that I purchased in the early 1990s. These feeders cost me between $10 and $20 each. I also owned and/or maintained dozens of Perky-Pet feeders of various models between about 1980 and 1993. They are poorly designed and cheaply made, and I wouldn't use another one if you gave it to me.

Not surprisingly, Droll Yankees and Aspects are two of the most highly regarded bird feeder manufacturers in the U.S. Neither company sells "nectar," so they're not making any money at all off "Nectar Sales" [sic] unless they own stock in a sugar company.
Thank you!

For other posters that are curious, I've stated this several times in older posts so now I'm starting to sound like a commercial . . . I also purchased Aspects HummZingers years ago. I have five 16-oz feeders; I hang four and have one as a spare -- but I've never used the spare. The red color is still bright, the clear bottoms are still clear, they never leak, very, very easy to clean, never cracked (even though a couple have fallen from eight feet onto hard ground). Now, these aren't the most expensive feeders, but they cost more than most. Generally speaking, you get what you pay for.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back