• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Review of a 8x32 EL; 8x30 SLC NEU and a 8x30 CL (all brand new bino's) (1 Viewer)

Dennis,
If you want to shock us, just skip "2nd tier" and go right for where public opinion matters most: the 3rd tier of sub-$250 roofs. Buy them all and start a top-10 ranking with shocking upsets every week! Or are they 4th tier, and Chinese roofs between, say, $350-500 are 3rd Tier? It's all so confusing ... :)

Nice to see your little Zeiss back up there. I've looked through a pair once and they were terrific.

David

Dennis,
If you want to shock us, just skip "2nd tier" and go right for where public opinion matters most: the 3rd tier of sub-$250 roofs. Buy them all and start a top-10 ranking with shocking upsets every week! Or are they 4th tier, and Chinese roofs between, say, $350-500 are 3rd Tier? It's all so confusing ... :)

Nice to see your little Zeiss back up there. I've looked through a pair once and they were terrific.

David

Yes. The top tier 32mm's are just a matter of what works best for you. They are all very good. The Zeiss has a little less CA and is a little smaller than the EL. The Leica gave me too many blackouts. Tried them all except that Meopta HD.

Dennis,

David

Hi David,

I would rank my newly acquired Chinese 8x42 Eden Quality XP roofs of € 279 2nd tier. Excellent for the price.

Very confusing, indeed, I agree wholeheartedly...

Best regards,

Ronald

I have a rudder but it is set for a circle. I keep coming backa to the same starting point.

Lucky you, you might finally end up with something permanent.

I feel more like I'm the Flying Dutchman, wandering the oceans without a rudder nor a crew, permanently in search of optical Nirvana.
As a matter of fact, there are more ghost ships on this forum that I pass who are lost souls wandering too....

Best regards,

Ronald

Do I get the house? Sorry, but the more I think about it these one person subjective reviews on Bird Forum are worrisome to me. They are all over the internet and people read them and sometimes make a purchase decision based on one person's opinion. I called nobody a liar you reported what you thought you saw. I simply want people to realize that these kind of reviews are basically just ONE person's opinion and in alot of cases just an amateur observer voicing his opinion and that is all they are. I am looking forward to some objective reviews on the CL to see if everybody agrees that they are as poor of a binocular as some reviewers think they are. I think they are getting a bad wrap right from the start and they don't deserve it. Once again I say try them yourself and don't trust all these bad reviews.

C'mon. I have yet to find a binocular review that is objective. They are all full of opinions based on views through the eyes of the reviewer. The BFer who has bought innumerable binoculars to test them for a couple of weeks then return them for a refund is giving nothing more than an opinion. Not to mention abusing the return policies of those retailers.

Objective reviews are usually found when the author is reading his own review.

Last edited:
C'mon. I have yet to find a binocular review that is objective. They are all full of opinions based on views through the eyes of the reviewer. The BFer who has bought innumerable binoculars to test them for a couple of weeks then return them for a refund is giving nothing more than an opinion. Not to mention abusing the return policies of those retailers.

I buy my binoculars on E-bay or Astromart for usually a 40% discount and then when I dump them I sell them for as much as I paid and often times I make a tidy profit. Sometimes $300 to $400 a pair. Albino's or those kind of reviews are more objective than one person's opinion.

Dennis:

Your recent behavior has me worried. I do know that I will not have much confidence in your reviews and ratings.

Now trying to draw attention to yourself as the new shockjock, has left me
just thinking of putting the clown nose on your posts. :king:

Jerry

Dennis:

Your recent behavior has me worried. I do know that I will not have much confidence in your reviews and ratings.

Now trying to draw attention to yourself as the new shockjock, has left me
just thinking of putting the clown nose on your posts. :king:

Jerry

I write my reviews and ratings based on what I honestly feel at the time. They are just my opinions of course like everybodies elses. Sometimes they change with time and experience with new binoculars. There is nothing wrong with having a little fun with these reviews. If you don't like my reviews you don't have to read them. That's your freedom of choice. But to be honest your not contributing much by criticizing me. It accomplishes nothing. Try contributing to the thread and being more positive and lighten up a little bit. Nobody cares to listen to your complaining. It is boring! Your the one that is looking like a clown.

Last edited:
I write my reviews and ratings based on what I honestly feel at the time. They are just my opinions of course like everybodies elses. Sometimes they change with time and experience with new binoculars. There is nothing wrong with having a little fun with these reviews. If you don't like my reviews you don't have to read them. That's your freedom of choice. But to be honest your not contributing much by criticizing me. It accomplishes nothing. Try contributing to the thread and being more positive and lighten up a little bit.

Dennis:

I suppose having fun must amuse you, but I am thinking the "Clown"reference I made does now apply as you just said. I am trying to be positive, but I do feel
the need to point this out to you.

Time, for a new avatar, Bozo the Clown. 8-P It seems to fit you better.

Jerry

Dennis,

David

"If you want to shock us, just skip "2nd tier" and go right for where public opinion matters most: the 3rd tier of sub-$250 roofs. Buy them all and start a top-10 ranking with shocking upsets every week! Or are they 4th tier, and Chinese roofs between, say, $350-500 are 3rd Tier? "

I really have no interest in sub-$250 roofs. Most of them outside of the Nikon Monarch I have found to be sub-standard.

Dennis:

I suppose having fun must amuse you, but I am thinking the "Clown"reference I made does now apply as you just said. I am trying to be positive, but I do feel
the need to point this out to you.

Time, for a new avatar, Bozo the Clown. 8-P It seems to fit you better.

Jerry

Is the weather that cold in North Dakota? I think you brain is starting to freeze!

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
I feel more like I'm the Flying Dutchman, wandering the oceans without a rudder nor a crew, permanently in search of optical Nirvana.
As a matter of fact, there are more ghost ships on this forum that I pass who are lost souls wandering too....

An equivalent expression for this could be "backa forever" which is the nickname of another notourious revenant of nonsense in this forum...

I buy my binoculars on E-bay or Astromart for usually a 40% discount and then when I dump them I sell them for as much as I paid and often times I make a tidy profit. Sometimes $300 to $400 a pair. Albino's or those kind of reviews are more objective than one person's opinion.

There is nothing wrong with a review that is full of opinions. The reviewer who does not try to peddle his comments as objective is more honest than the one who does. I think that a well written review like the one presented at the top of this thread is both a joy to read and it provides very useful information. A data point if you will that is most useful when taken with the written evaluations of others. We have all seen reviews that purport to quantify opinions with numerical summaries. But they seem to be objective and precise simply because a number is shown. Fact is those numbers are just are an opinion about a written opinion and do little more than obfuscate the original review. They can be useful for those of us who need the best binocular to be signified simply and don't have the time or inclination to look into the details. Binocular A with an aggregate score of 87 is presumed to be better than binocular B with a score of 85 and so forth.

Those numeric binocular summaries remind me of all the mathematically precise personnel reviews I've done over the years. But that's for another discussion.

Well in addition to selling his 8x30 CL's, I see that Dennis now his his 8.5x42 EL SV's up for sale on the bay. Guess another has learned that you don't have to spend a lot of $$ for good binos.

Well in addition to selling his 8x30 CL's, I see that Dennis now his his 8.5x42 EL SV's up for sale on the bay. Guess another has learned that you don't have to spend a lot of $$ for good binos.

Yes. I decided I am not carrying 42mm's anymore. 30 oz. just fatigues me anymore. I got the new Zeiss 8x32 FL's and they were almost as good optically as the SV's but under 20 0z. and I can hold them and carry them all day without my arms and neck getting tired. So I am down to ONE binocular.

Maybe the Counter Other Poster should start an Other User Thread ;)

We could call it "As the Bino COP's World turns"- or it could be "Watch bino COP flip and flop" or maybe "pump and dump" binos.

It could just be a thread of just 2 members -Dennis vs. Dennis's split personality- alter ego;( just like the Gollum vs. Smeagol characters in Lord of the rings). The two Dennis characters could just argue with each other and call the other BF members stupid and "dumb BFers". Just as Gollum said - those "dumb"; "sneaky"; "fat" little "Hobbitses"

And who knows maybe one of them will find and keep their "precious" bino

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLvIFRNbqOs

Maybe it would be a good idea- because one person sure can dominate a thread :egghead:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back