• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Noctivid (1 Viewer)

MikeF, post 33,
The 8x42 Ultravid plus is 121 grams lighter as the 8x42 Noctivid, handling comfort of the Ultravid HD plus is in my hands better than the Noctivid, brightness is equal for my eyes despite a very little higher light transmission over the measured spectral range of the Noctivid, focussing speed of the Ultravid is faster, the Noctivid has a higher eyerelief as a plus, price difference in March 2017: the Ultravid was 535 euros cheaper than the Noctivid.
Gijs van Ginkel

Yeah I've compared most of the 8X42ish binoculars I have to the 8X42 Noctivid. I think you WOULD see an improvement between an UVHD and the Noctivid. Some definite improvements are increased FOV, improved focus adjustment to best in class, improved light transmission while maintaining the traditional Leica color/contrast, more ER, and better objective covers/restraints in a handsome package.

It's a LITTLE larger than a UV series....maybe a little smaller than an 42mm SV...I've away from home so can't tell for sure. Included a pic or two to compare below. Looks to be about the same length as a Conquest HD 42mm..

I swap between a UVHD+ 7X42 and the NTV 10X42 a LOT while carrying both. For me that swap is instinctive. The ergonomics of the NTV have been a non-issue to me. No difference to me between a SF, FL, UVHD+, SV, Noctivid, etc.

Thanks Gijs, and Chuck.

It's hard for me to compare the 7x42 UVHD+ and 10x42 NV optically because of the difference in magnification, but they're both very special, albeit in somewhat different ways.

Ergonomics wise I'm with Chuck. The way I hold binoculars means that the bridge design is a non issue. The extra weight of the NV seems only noticeable by direct comparison, and the balance of the NV combined with it's weight seem to provide for great stability. I hadn't personally noticed any difference in focusing speed, but any advantage the UVHD+ has in speed or the ability to use two fingers on the focus wheel is more than made up for by the smoothness and accuracy of the NV's focus wheel. I like to use two fingers with the UVHD+, but partly because it gives me the control I want. It's simply not necessary with the NV so the size and placement of the wheel is not an issue for me.

Chuck,

Thanks for the pics, once again great perspective. I have the UVHD 8X42 and I like the ergonomics of the glass, though the FOV is 7.4 degrees, to me it provides a nice contrasted view in a nice small package. Now that I have the Meopta, EDG, MHG and FL T in 8X42 also, I am in no rush. Perhaps a green one way down the road or as a demo, the retail is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too high.

Andy W.

The 8x56 SLC is pretty heavy on paper but surprisingly it handles quite well. The AFOV is just slightly behind the 10x50 SV so it is impressive. The big thing about the 8x56 SLC is how CLEAR and TRANSPARENT it is. More than any other binocular I have used. It feels like you are not even looking through 12 lenses per tube. The Leica's are good glass they just don't seem as "perfect" to my eyes as the Swaro's. That SLC 8x42 is nice. Did you notice how SMALL it is compared to an SV? It is about the size of a Zeiss 8x32 FL! I picked up another 10x also. I won an auction on Ebay for a NIB Nikon Monarch MHG 10x42 for $650.00 shipped. The 8x42 MHG didn't work for me because the the eye cups were not long enough for the eye relief but the 10x42 has about 1mm less eye relief and guess what it made a difference. The 10x42 MHG actually works pretty good for me and it is a pretty nice binocular especially for $650.00. It doesn't have the transparency of the 8x56 SLC but what does..

good points.

You can score some nice deals on Ebay on used SLC, they had a 2007 10x50 SLC go for $800+..

I can’t speak for the 8x but the 10 is really nice. I like the way it shows the reds and browns it’s just an incredible glass and no fuss at all with eye placement if you have glasses. People talk about the ca but I just can’t see it. I always am concentrating on the center of the field where the extreme sharpness is anyway so maybe that’s why. I can say I definitely like the 10x42 better than the 10x42 Swarovision I had pre field pro. My favorite 8x was the Zeiss ht. It has a beautiful transparent view and I like how the whites are so white in the Zeiss. Every binocular has certain things about them that I like so the real answer is to have more than one pair. I would love to compare the 8x Noctivid to my favorite the Zeiss ht. After having the 10 I am thinking the Noctivid would put up a good fight for top 8x and maybe beat the Zeiss. I no longer have the Zeiss so I can’t even compare it to my 10 Noctivid.
I can’t speak for the 8x but the 10 is really nice. I like the way it shows the reds and browns it’s just an incredible glass and no fuss at all with eye placement if you have glasses. People talk about the ca but I just can’t see it. I always am concentrating on the center of the field where the extreme sharpness is anyway so maybe that’s why. I can say I definitely like the 10x42 better than the 10x42 Swarovision I had pre field pro. My favorite 8x was the Zeiss ht. It has a beautiful transparent view and I like how the whites are so white in the Zeiss. Every binocular has certain things about them that I like so the real answer is to have more than one pair. I would love to compare the 8x Noctivid to my favorite the Zeiss ht. After having the 10 I am thinking the Noctivid would put up a good fight for top 8x and maybe beat the Zeiss. I no longer have the Zeiss so I can’t even compare it to my 10 Noctivid.
I currently own the 8x42 Leica Noctivid and they are stunning looking into woodland, the depth of field and contrast really stand out

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back