• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Herp ID questions, SW Spain, 06/2019 (1 Viewer)

Sangahyando

Germany
These reptiles were seen in Extremadura earlier this month.

#1 Rhinechis scalaris?
This snake was mid-sized (>50 cm long) and rather aggressive, due to its predicament (accidentally finding itself in the middle of a busy place and being driven into the bushes). One of the locals identified it as an adult Ladder Snake (Rhinechis scalaris). Is that correct? As far as I can tell, this seems plausible because of the two conspicuous lines along the back, and the apparent darker dot on the cheek, but I'm not very experienced with herp identification, so I'd welcome other people's input.

#2 Psammodromus [algirus] manuelae or Psammodromus hispanicus?
This was one of the many (putative) sand racers I encountered in the region.
If it is the former, does that species have an English name?

#3, #4 Psammodromus [algirus] manuelae or Psammodromus hispanicus?
Other examples. There was one recurring type that I dubbed "Rock Bunting Lizard" because of its typical pattern of grey and black stripes on its head and upper body combined with a rusty-coloured hip region.

#5 (no picture) Snake sp.
We came across another snake, which I unfortunately didn't manage to photograph, that was mid-sized, fairly slender, and appeared green without visible markings. It was moving quickly across the road. The surrounding habitat was steppe with occasional patches of scrub or trees.

As always, any ideas welcome.

Regards, A

Attachments

• DSCF6170a.JPG
    DSCF6170a.JPG
    589.2 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCF5982a.JPG
    DSCF5982a.JPG
    531.5 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCF6086a.JPG
    DSCF6086a.JPG
    729.4 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCF6392a.JPG
    DSCF6392a.JPG
    902.4 KB · Views: 24
The snake looks right.

There are four Psammodromus in Speybroeck et al

algirus - Large
occidentalis - Western
edwardsianus - Edwards
hispanicus - Spanish

Yours all look like Large to me?

Last edited:
yes, all are Psammodromus algirus.
the snake is scalaris. but the corrent genus is Zamenis since 3 or more years now.
The correct spelling of Edwards Psammodromus is P. edwarsianus - without a 2nd d

Thank you both. The taxonomy still confuses me somewhat (as does herp identification in general), but I'll trust your expertise on this.
By the way, does anyone have suggestions for a somewhat affordable field guide on herps for the region or Europe in general?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back