• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (17 Viewers)

Barn owl re-appeared 5.25. Seen from Cuckoo Hide. He very obligingly sat on a fence post facing the hide and waited for supper to arrive. Then moved on to the next post and sat with his back to me. Probably there about 5 minutes in total. Wow! I hardly dared breathe.

Anyway supper evidently didn't turn up so he flew off - towards Avocet Hide. Better hunting there hopefully.

Glad you saw it Pam. At 5.4pm I saw it hunting along the Hen Brook for a minute or so. It gradually moved up the bank to the right of the archery field. It dropped on to something and stayed down for a few seconds before moving north towards sailing pool where it disappeared. At 5.5pm I was about to leave when I noticed a bird perched on a post in the SW corner 100. yards south of Avocet hide. It proceeded to hunt along the public footpath, frequently perching on posts. Was it a different bird ...could be:t:

Today our contractor Colin, was cutting around the grassland on Amy's Marsh / Broadmeadow . Just as he was about to leave I managed to speak to him and he kindly cut the west arm of the Broadmeadow bank. This area had been abandoned to a tangled thicket of bramble. The area was previously ideal for breeding lapwing and wintering snipe. Today Colins free time was spent doing the Tuesday work party crew a great favour. This area is now open and with just a bit of judicious strimming will resemble former glory days. What an amazing remote controlled bit of kit this is..I wouldn't mind one for Christmas if anyone has got a few bob to spare8-P

Attachments

• 20160226_115901.jpg
    20160226_115901.jpg
    651.5 KB · Views: 127
  • 20160226_120238.jpg
    20160226_120238.jpg
    679.6 KB · Views: 123
  • 20160226_120737.jpg
    20160226_120737.jpg
    762.2 KB · Views: 108
  • 20160226_121556.jpg
    20160226_121556.jpg
    743.8 KB · Views: 113
  • 20160226_121552.jpg
    20160226_121552.jpg
    779.4 KB · Views: 112
Birding at the Moors

Crofty and myself spent a good time checking out every part of the Moors and North Moors as well as a thorough check of the salwarp track.
Moors :
GCG 3. Little grebe 2. Little egret 2. Shoveler 4. gadwall 8. teal 12. Pochard 34 (23 males ). Tufted 40. Coot 140. Water rail calling from most areas of reeds. . cormorant 15. Mute swan pr.
Snipe 6 . Curlew 6. Oystercatcher 2.
RED KITE. flew in from North over education reserve and then looped back over east side back north 14.52 - 14.58 . Buzzard 4. kestrel.
Green woodpecker. great spotted w. stock dove 2. collared dove 3. winter thrushes 80+. mistle thrush. song thrush 2 singing.
Cetti's 2. redpoll 3. siskin 2 .
Feeding Station :
Coal tit 2. greenfinch 15. bullfinch 4. chaffinch 2. Reed bunting 12.
North Moors :
Shelduck 3 (part of the 10 on Moors ). Teal 2. Mallard 3. Tufted 4
Coot 2. water rail calling. Cormorant. Cetti's Warbler singing.

Salwarpe track:
Treecreeper singing. Goldcrest singing. great spotted w drumming. song thrush singing. .all 4 species were across the river in the education reserve. Also cetti's w singing. goldfinch 5. plus common garden birds.

Last edited:
Birding Flashes

Mentioned the barn owl so won't dwell on that. The Flashes was swarming with birds this evening. The flocks regularly flushing from some unseen raptor. A green sand was seen feeding 5pm in front of the hide. The Avocets have increased. And the BHG have certainly arrived en-masse .
Species count :
Teal 71. gadwall 12 (4 prs +4 males ). Shelduck 2 (12 total). mallard 46. coot 16. moorhen 20. water rail.
Avocet 15. Green sand. Curlew 17. lapwing 610. Snipe. Oystercatcher.
BHG 1100.
Barn owl 1 possibly 2. green woodpecker. Stock dove 12.
Cetti's Warbler singing. Chiffchaff 2. redwing.

Oh flippin eck, how embarrasing. It was me, miss-selection on birdtrack. No wood warblers for UW in my notebook. :( soz all!!

Cheers for fessing up Ste - as brilliant a system as BirdTrack is there are some fundamental flaws if the information is taken wholly at face value with no form of secondary verification. I recall we have a similar situation last year with Yellow Wagtail and Yellowhammer which was input error again. Likewise there is a sighting of 3 Dipper allocated to the reserve from last year which was simply due to the wrong OS code being inputted (actually relating to Knapp and Papermill)

Now anyone know anything about the BirdTrack record from 9th July 2008 of 2 American Herring Gulls at Upton Warren ....

Last edited:
Cheers for fessing up Ste - as brilliant a system as BirdTrack is there are some fundamental flaws if the information is taken wholly at face value with no form of secondary verification. I recall we have a similar situation last year with Yellow Wagtail and Yellowhammer which was input error again. Likewise there is a sighting of 3 Dipper allocated to the reserve from last year which was simply due to the wrong OS code being inputted (actually relating to Knapp and Papermill)

Now anyone know anything about the BirdTrack record from 9th July 2008 of 2 American Herring Gulls at Upton Warren ....

Another interesting species is Marsh Tit - BirdTrack records from 28th Feb 2004 (anonymous), 25th September 2003 (anonymous), 11th April 1971(!) and 2nd February 1969 (!!). Also another misappropriate record for Knapp and Papermill.

Work party this SUNDAY - FLASHES

This is the final work party of the season here at the Flashes (Moors Tuesday parties continue as normal).
Tomorrow's work includes :-
Fox fence check and repair
relocation of Shelduck box
cutting down the height of reed bed marker posts. This is to minimise predator perches within the breeding zones.
prune tops off scrub next to hen brook, this will allow views into the hen brook triangle.
plant 30 hawthorn saplings along area next to archery field.
Please meet at car park 9.30 am to help me carry equipment to site.
Refreshments provided
all welcome:t: john

Family party of 5 Whooper Swan - 2 adults & 3 juvs - flushed by workman at the sewage works and flew off SE at 1107 as per Dave J

I would take the view that the reserve and the recording area are two distinct entities - the latter being everything you would reasonably observe on a visit to this split site reserve. So that would include the A38 fields and residencies at the Moors Pool plus Hobden Hall Farm, the Education Reserve and Sailing Pool (including car parks), and then at the Flashes the transmitter field, Sagebury Farm and orchard, and the fields to the east and north.

Keeping to the strict reserve boundaries would see YB Warbler, Black Redstart, Waxwing, Smew, Little Tern and Monty's Harrier all disappear from my list.

With acknowledgement to THE BIRDS of UPTON WARREN:

SCAN0039 (2).jpg SCAN0040.jpg

Glad you saw it Pam. At 5.4pm I saw it hunting along the Hen Brook for a minute or so. It gradually moved up the bank to the right of the archery field. It dropped on to something and stayed down for a few seconds before moving north towards sailing pool where it disappeared. At 5.5pm I was about to leave when I noticed a bird perched on a post in the SW corner 100. yards south of Avocet hide. It proceeded to hunt along the public footpath, frequently perching on posts. Was it a different bird ...could be:t:

"My" barn owl appeared from the area where you and Paul thought he'd be; a quick flash of white wings and he dropped down again in the same place, then flew out and sat in front of hide, and slightly to the left, on the fence posts I mentioned.

Sy Vickers Funeral

For anyone wanting to pay their respects to Sy. His funeral takes place on Thursday 3rd March at Redditch crematorium at 2pm.
john

Users who are viewing this thread

Back