• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

DH101 head (1 Viewer)

Raptorash

Can any forum users pse tell me whether the Swaro DH101 head will accept a Manfrotto 200 PL plate - I know I can mount my Swaro ATX direct into the head but I’m after mounting a Nikon camera and lens into the head on a 200 plate -cheers

Don't do it! I have a high regard for Swarovski's optics (I own three of them) but the DH101 is an overpriced plastic construction of very dubious quality.

At a birding location recently I met an elderly woman birder with an ATX65 (an ATS80 HD would have performed better and been cheaper and no heavier) on a DH101 and Swarovski carbon tripod. The head was rotating freely on the tripod stud and was in danger of falling off. I tried locking the panorama function to tighten it up but the panorama lock was unable to resist the moderate torque I applied. I explained to her that there were most probably grub screws under the tripod platform to secure the head but I was nevertheless more than a little surprised at the poor quality of the head. She had obviously been poorly advised or had bought on the internet and trusted the brand. Unfortunately the accessories from even the premium optics firms are often of mediocre quality and unsuited to the practical requirements.

Arca-Swiss is the best quick-release system. There can be some incompatibility in the safety retention systems from different manufacturers but if you buy plates from the same manufacturer as the head, that is no problem.

Have a look at Arca-Swiss compatible heads from Sirui or Berlebach.

Regards,
John

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back