• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fujifilm X-S1 or Fujifilm finepix HS50EXR (1 Viewer)

Grayseer

Hi there,
for you who have experience about these to cameras, if you would choise one of these, what would it be?
I shoot everything from birds and other animals, from macro to tele, dark and light, also i shoot sunsets and sunrises, northernlights in the word i shoot all that i come across...
in X-S1 bigger sensor makes me thinking over HS50 cause it could mean better lowlight performance but HS50 is new technology, muct better focus stuff... faster processor etc... still it costs about the same as X-S1 here in finland, so i ask from smarter and more experienced people (you) is there a reason to still buy X-S1 over HS50?
thank you...

you might check the adjacent thread which has contributions from a member who has both cameras. I seriously considered the XS1, held back because it was expected that the price would drop, then the HS50 came on the scene.

While the XS1 has a bigger surface area sensor, this is 2011 technology, while the HS50 boasts a new generation processor and is 2013 technology.

see this site http://www.digicamdb.com/compare/fujifilm_finepix-hs50-exr-vs-fujifilm_x-s1/

Where the HS50 wins hands down is its incredibly fast start up and AF even at maximum zoom and in poor light. I'm going for the HS50 and would only consider a XS1 if I had the money and one turned up at a bargain (like my Canon 500 listed as a 35mm camera and cost just over £200 after I sold the kit lens that came with it)

thank you for your answer, i have been reading all the threads here about hs50exr and X-S1 also i've been googleing alot and looking videos from youtube...
in here last that i checked they cost exactly the same money, so you would take hs50exr if price would be same?
i have been turning to hs50exr cause of that focus and new sensor/prosessor package.
but i have been getting some info that HS50exr:s body aint as "rugged" or good quality as X-S1, is it so and does that mean its bad quality i dont know but would like to know... so is is cheap and plasticy or is it overall good to handle for price?
last camera i bought (sony cybershot F828) has been my faithfull companion for 6years and 25k pictures but now times has taken its toll. =)
this means tough that cause i can buy new camera too often i wanna be sure what i buy.
other of these two is what i buy but i like to get opinions from peeps with experience... so thank you and if there is more to say please do. :)

ps. you have great tag in end of your post and i have to add to it like so

"the man who never made a mistake never made anything, and it was a mistake..."

Last edited:
I have handled the HS50 by going to a local camera shop, where they will allow you do so and take some test shots. Can you do this? HS50 Slightly smaller and lighter than XS1 http://camerasize.com/compare/#242,405 but felt well constructed and comfortable to hold. Definitely not cheap and plasticky feel

For me the ability to take candid shots very important, so the extra zoom, fast start up autofocus and fast processing of the HS50 over the XS1 means it wins hands down

I have owned an HS10, HS20 and an XS1. None ever gave any trouble and I still use the last two. There is no question that the XS-1 body is built more solidly, however I am sure that neither will survive a drop onto a rock or immersion in a stream.

My personal choice if my chief aim were to photograph birds would be the HS50 every time (to clarify birds and photography are two different interests for me that only come together on an occasional basis).

Always get the camera that is most likely to produce the photographs that you or your audience/customer want to see that you can afford.
If you do anything else you are potentially preventing yourself from getting that photograph of a lifetime.

And if its any reassurance after using well over a hundred different cameras (point and shoot up to pro) over the years only two ever failed and both those were slrs. Ignoring the one my wife accidentally put through a wash cycle!

I support that last comment, handle them both and I think that both will impress you.

Last edited:
trouble is i cant get my hand to either of them so im doing scouting like this... i have to make leap of faith...
but as i said i trust more in experience of other peeps..
im not planning to drop it nor swim with it but as winters here can be harsh and i dont like the idea of having camera made of plastic that cant handle wintertime in cold north... i have some experience of earlier hs models and s-models and they have been well made compared to money they cost so i didnt think hs50 would be different story but in few reviews there has been mentions about "plasticy" feel i tought i ask...
thank you for these...

the weather in the UK can be harsh as well even for us "softy southerners!"

Have you seen this review http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/default.asp?newsID=5219&news=fuji+HS50+exr+CES+2013+preview

would lie to see the reviews where the hs50 is labelled "plasticky" haven't come across such comments despite having searched extensively on Google for HS50 review. Most sites I have come across largely repeat the press release given by Fujifilm in Jan 2013 regarding the release of this new model in March

Didn't feel cheap or plasticky to me

The HS50 is definitely not a plasticky feel at all. The feel is of a serious piece of kit, the weight is reassuring and the controls especially the zoom nice and firm.
I am itching to get out on a day with decent light so I can play around with it more.

thank you, this was kinda what i wanned to hear =)
over the years i've learned that there is some "pro:s" that dont like sony or fuji or anything else infact than nikon or canon and they make quite much reviews and thrash others than their favourite by anymeans...
thats why in my mind is better to ask from users than professionals... i might be wrong but :)
anyhow i think now my mind is in ease and i can put my order in...

I've handled both the Fujifilm X-S1 and the HS50 and can assure you that both camera's are quality products, I believe they surpass any other major model of Bridge Camera in construction and materials (and I don't have any brand bias).

Consider the HS50 to be a smaller version of the X-S1 in design, the internals of the camera's are quite different though. Here in the UK the X-S1 is about £30 cheaper than the HS50 but I expect the latter models price to drop as the 'new model' tag wears off.

I would be pleased with either camera, but try to purchase from a company that will except the camera back if you are not entirely happy with it, any reputable company will be happy to do that. Choosing a camera without either seeing or handling it is as you say "a leap of faith" - I only wish I could help you further in your decision, but I think most of us would really need to have tested either or both of these models in the field, before recommending one or the other to you, however, there are owners of both models on Bird Forum that can help you with further information in that regard.

Best of luck whatever your decision :t:

thanks whimbler,
i know there is no one else who can make the desision for me, and im not askin anyone to tell me what i should do, i try to ask what you would do if you would be choising one of these... what would you buy... =)
tough im turning hard to HS50 cause of new generation stuff that makes it faster almost everyway and gives more range...
i kinda find only one large issue talking for X-S1 and its bigger sensor... im still interested does it give much for camera or does 2year of research really give HS50:s smaller sensor the boost it need to get close to X-S1:s sensor in ways that counts...

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back