• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canada goose kills another Canada goose? (1 Viewer)

aeroth

Hello,

This morning my mother (who lives in northern New Jersey) called me to ask about a Canada goose who has a nest near her office building. The building is located on some land with a small lake.

She said that the goose has been quite aggressive toward people, but this morning she and a couple of her co-workers witnessed the goose actually kill another goose. He apparently proceeded to chew on the other goose's neck after he had died.

I've been birding for 5 years, I have a degree in animal behavior and am currently in graduate school studying Anthrozoology. I know that Canada geese can be aggressive during mating and nesting season, but I have never heard about a Canada goose killing another goose. I couldn't find anything on Google searches or in any peer-reviewed journals that I have access to through my college.

Is this abnormal? Is it possible that the goose is ill-- possibly an avian equivalent of rabies? (I'm not sure if this even exists |:d|).

Thanks very much!

Last edited:
Hello! I see that many people viewed this post, but no answers... perhaps this is uncommon.

I have an update. Yesterday my mother told me that she and some coworkers witnessed a dozen or so American Robins fighting each other, and when my mother walked past the area after work, there were 4 dead robins on the ground.

This is also behavior that at least to me, is unknown. Does anyone have any input?

Thank you

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back