• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Goshawk, perhaps? (1 Viewer)

missybb

I've seen this bird around for years but have never been able to get a decent picture until today. It's quite elusive. I have, however, seen the remnants of his/her meals in my yard quite often. I am in London, Ontario. Perched, this bird is about 20 inches tall from the branch to the top of his head. His large, yellow talons are easily visible by the naked eye from the 50 feet distance between us. By the way, while not visible from the picture this bird, from previous sightings, has a striped tail (underside of tail).

Here is the picture:

big bird.jpg

I initially thought a Northern Goshawk or a large Cooper's Hawk but none of the comparative picture seem just right. I would be grateful for some help in identifying this bird.

Thanks!

Size can be deceptive, sometimes you see them really closely and they look huge, sometimes they look small. Size varies between male and female remember, with females being 20% approx bigger than males in birds of prey.

It looks a typical Red-Tailed hawk to me.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back