• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flyingfish (1 Viewer)

Swissboy

Sempach, Switzerland
Supporter
Switzerland
As you may know, NHBS presently has a sale of a fair number of books, and while looking for some I had on my radar, I also came across some I had not even known of. One of these has opened a whole new world for me:
https://www.nhbs.com/en/backlist-ba...pgs][0]=bb&fR[saleable][0]=true&qpview=211310

The Amazing world of Flyingfish is authored by Steve N.G. Howell, well known for many bird books such as on seabirds or Mexico. Not all that surprisingly, Howell let himself be fascinated by this other group of marine "fliers". Actually they are just gliders, but that takes nothing from their fascination for birders and others. The booklet consists of only 45 pages, but it comes with a concise natural history and lots of very fine photos of this hard to photograph group. So at the price of less that 8 Euros (plus postage) this is a great bargain if you are a bibliophile like me and feel you might want to immerse yourself into a novel world. And if you are going to get some other books from the list, why not expand and include this one. I'm sure you will not regret it. Howell writes about his initial exposure to this group, and I recall my very similar feelings when I first saw such animals from the ferry near Cagliari off South Sardinia in the Mediterranean. Still wish I could see some of the four-winged ones that do not make it that far north. But I had not even known that there are such 4-winged ones.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back