Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Swarovski NL 8x42 - First Impressions

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Tuesday 15th September 2020, 17:17   #526
dries1

I have returned items to them, again, no problem whatsoever. Sounds like a communication glitch.

Andy W.

BF Supporter 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 15th September 2020, 18:01   #527
Gilmore Girl
Beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I have a lot of Leicas from the Trinovid BR, BN,BA to the Ultravid HD +. I never noticed a big difference in them optically although the later Leicas are nicer ergonomically being smaller and lighterr. Then I started reading on Allbinos and they said the same thing I had been observing. The quote below is from Allbinos. Leica hasn't made any really significant changes to their binoculars in 30 years, especially in FOV. The Noctivid is still a 7.7 degree binocular when the NL is 9.1 degrees! Also, if you look at the rankings for the 10x42 binoculars there is hardly any difference between the Leica Ultravid HD which is 151.6 and the Leica BR which is 150.3!

"Why am I writing about it? On our website you can find tests of all 10x42 models, from the Trinovid BN to the Ultravid HD-Plus. It is easy to check what the customers gained throughout all these years. Firstly the results show unanimously that, within the margin of measurement error, the HD-Plus model is practically the same as the HD model. Maybe the transmission level varies a bit but even if you compare the measurements taken with a spectrophotometer the differences remain very slight; it is really difficult to say whether they are an effect of measurement errors, natural differences between two specimens or the actual influence of Schott HT glass. If the spectrophotometer doesn’t show any distinct difference, it won’t be visible to the naked eye either. So we have a situation where the Ultravid HD doesn’t differ markedly from the Ultravid BR and the Ultravid BR is an almost identical copy of the Trinovid but closed in a lighter casing. It seems that for almost 25 years Leica haven’t introduced any innovative optical solutions to its key series of binoculars. Of course the weight reduction and hydrophobic coatings are appreciated, along with a slight transmission increase or a tad wider field of view. Still such a reputable company should have done better, especially if you take into account the length of the period of time we are talking about. As a result of such stagnation Leica devices started to compete with each other: you can still buy second-hand specimen of Trinovids in mint condition for half the price of the new Ultravids HD-Plus."

https://www.allbinos.com/allbinos_ra...ing-10x42.html
I remember reading this on Allbinos. Some here on the forum have noticed a difference going from BR to HD Plus, but not much of a difference between BR and HD. The guys at Allbinos were obvioulsy expecting a lot more. I think Leica was somewhat conservative out of fear of messing with a classic, so they really just tweaked the optics and personally I think they made the right decision. I also like they kept the Ultravid available after Noctivid was introduced. Swarovski is also making a smart move by keeping the EL around along with new NL.

BF Supporter 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 15th September 2020, 18:50   #528
dries1

Swarovski, unlike Zeiss or Leica does not make $$ with cameras/microscopes or other optical devices they only serve the birding/hunting community. Binocular sales are not the top priority of Zeiss or Leica, though they make very good binoculars that I assure you; for those who read the Leica criticism on here.

Andy W.

Old Tuesday 15th September 2020, 19:46   #529
Gijs van Ginkel

andy, post 528,
Swarovski binoculars/telescopes is only a very small part of the large Tyrolit/Swarovski company. Crystal and abrasives are very much bigger than optics.
Gijs van Ginkel
Old Tuesday 15th September 2020, 19:57   #530
dries1

How large is Swarovski as a company as compared to Zeiss or Leica? Just curious.

Andy W.

Old Tuesday 15th September 2020, 21:11   #531
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmore Girl View Post
I remember reading this on Allbinos. Some here on the forum have noticed a difference going from BR to HD Plus, but not much of a difference between BR and HD. The guys at Allbinos were obvioulsy expecting a lot more. I think Leica was somewhat conservative out of fear of messing with a classic, so they really just tweaked the optics and personally I think they made the right decision. I also like they kept the Ultravid available after Noctivid was introduced. Swarovski is also making a smart move by keeping the EL around along with new NL.
I just think Leica should bump the FOV up a bit at least on their top tier bins like the Noctivid. C'mon 7.7 degrees when Swarovski is at 9.1 degrees. After using the NL I find it hard to go back to that small of a FOV I don't care how rich the colors are or how good the contrast is.

Last edited by [email protected] : Tuesday 15th September 2020 at 23:04.
Old Tuesday 15th September 2020, 21:53   #532
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by dries1 View Post
How large is Swarovski as a company as compared to Zeiss or Leica? Just curious.

Andy W.
Zeiss is by far the biggest company of the three in revenue followed by Swarovski and then Leica which is much smaller. Zeiss had 72 billion in revenue last year and 31,000 employees followed by Swarovski Group(Total Divisions) which had 3.4 billion in revenue and 32,000 employees of which the Optiks division had only 140 million in revenue and 850 employees and the Tyrolit division(Concrete sawing and drilling equipment) had 635 million in revenue and 4260 employees and the Crystal division which is by far Swarovskis most profitable division which had 2.6 billion in revenue and 27,000 employees, whereas Leica is much smaller with only 961 million in revenue and 3,233 employees. Nikon had 5.5 billion in revenue and 20,190 employees so in revenue they are bigger than Swarovski or Leica. Just to keep things in perspective the biggest Fortune 500 company in the world is you guessed it WALMART! They had 524 billion in revenue last year with 2.2 million employees! They probably made more money selling toilet paper than Zeiss, Swarovski and Leica combined! Amazon.com is hot on the heels of Walmart though at number two on the Fortune 500 list with 281 billion in revenue and 1 million employees. Hard to believe Jeff Bozo(As President Trump calls him) started Amazon.com out of his garage.

Last edited by [email protected] : Wednesday 16th September 2020 at 06:07.
Old Tuesday 15th September 2020, 23:13   #533
Gilmore Girl
Beth

Quote:
I just think Leica should bump the FOV up a bit at least on their top tier bins like the Noctivid. C'mon 7.7 degrees when Swarovski is at 9.1 degrees. After using the NL I find it hard to go back to that small of a FOV I don't care how rich the colors are or how good the contrast is.
People put emphasis on different properties based on what they personally prefer. Wide FOV is nice to have. For me, I put emphasis on the color presentation and this is why I always admire Leica binos. My Swaro CL has very pleasing colors too which are sort of subtle pastel-like. Out of all the binos I've owned I only remember being so pleased with the colors in my CL and Ultravid. They are very different, but both have very nice colors to me.
Currently, I have only the original CL 8x30 with its narrow-ish FOV by today's standards. I sold the FL 8x32 even though it has a wider FOV and the resolution and sharpness is better overall. So, I chose colors over those other aspects while you choose things that impress you such as wider FOV. Sounds like NL is just what you need right now with its super wide FOV and impressive image. I'd like to look through one someday perhaps just for fun. I don't have an interest in buying it though. I want to stick with small and light weight.

Last edited by Gilmore Girl : Tuesday 15th September 2020 at 23:15. Reason: cleaning up

BF Supporter 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 16th September 2020, 02:04   #534
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmore Girl View Post
People put emphasis on different properties based on what they personally prefer. Wide FOV is nice to have. For me, I put emphasis on the color presentation and this is why I always admire Leica binos. My Swaro CL has very pleasing colors too which are sort of subtle pastel-like. Out of all the binos I've owned I only remember being so pleased with the colors in my CL and Ultravid. They are very different, but both have very nice colors to me.
Currently, I have only the original CL 8x30 with its narrow-ish FOV by today's standards. I sold the FL 8x32 even though it has a wider FOV and the resolution and sharpness is better overall. So, I chose colors over those other aspects while you choose things that impress you such as wider FOV. Sounds like NL is just what you need right now with its super wide FOV and impressive image. I'd like to look through one someday perhaps just for fun. I don't have an interest in buying it though. I want to stick with small and light weight.
You should try an NL. It is a different animal than the EL. It combines the good qualities of the EL with a lot of the good qualities of the Leicas. It does have that big FOV but it also has better contrast and richer colors than the EL, so I think it might be to your liking if you like the old CL. I had an old CL, so I know what they are like optically. I liked it except for the smallish FOV even though a lot of people criticized it. I understand about small and lightweight but I think you would be surprised how small and compact the NL is even if you can feel the weight. You would really appreciate how ergonomic it is. It is a pleasure to hold it. Maybe Swarovski will bring out an NL 8x32 soon with about a 520 foot FOV and that might be your ideal binocular.
Old Wednesday 16th September 2020, 05:48   #535
CharleyBird

I feel my deja vu is having deja vu.

Hey Dennis, ever tried a Tract or Maven? You may be totally happy with one of them, feel the extra price difference of an alpha is not worth it, that the alpha is dead.

Old Wednesday 16th September 2020, 06:03   #536
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyBird View Post
I feel my deja vu is having deja vu.

Hey Dennis, ever tried a Tract or Maven? You may be totally happy with one of them, feel the extra price difference of an alpha is not worth it, that the alpha is dead.

Swarovski has brought the alpha back from the dead with the NL. They truly have something on Tract and Maven now. It is called FOV!

Last edited by denc[email protected] : Wednesday 16th September 2020 at 15:25.
Old Wednesday 16th September 2020, 15:09   #537
CharleyBird

You seem a restless soul, and I just hope you are happy with probably the third-best binocular in the world, paying more than $2500 for an alpha, and contributing to Mrs. Swarovski's country club fees.

Old Wednesday 16th September 2020, 15:28   #538
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyBird View Post
You seem a restless soul, and I just hope you are happy with probably the third-best binocular in the world, paying more than $2500 for an alpha, and contributing to Mrs. Swarovski's country club fees.

THIRD best! Okay, maybe the Nikon WX but that is not a birding binocular. What are the 1st and 2nd best in your opinion of course?

Last edited by [email protected] : Wednesday 16th September 2020 at 15:39.
Old Wednesday 16th September 2020, 15:33   #539
jan van daalen

Quote:
That is unusual, I have bought three Leica binoculars/cameras from Leica in Lisse, Netherlands and have had nothing but the best product and service. I highly recommend them to buy Leica products from.

Andy W.
They are, by far, the best equipped Leica shop (in Europe) in The Netherlands.

Jan
Old Wednesday 16th September 2020, 21:55   #540
tenex

Quote:
The Noctivid 8x42 I got was probably a lemon. It was bought new on Ebay from the leica-store-lisseleica-store-lisse which sells Leica optics at a considerable discount.
Quote:
That is unusual, I have bought three Leica binoculars/cameras from Leica in Lisse, Netherlands and have had nothing but the best product and service. I highly recommend them to buy Leica products from.
When was the exchange rate so favorable? And surely you're not getting the US warranty with purchases from Europe?

It's fun to see SF32 and NL coming out, but despite the interest I've expressed previously in larger FOV, we're really very happy with the binos we have now (small Leicas and big SLCs) and expect to remain so even after eventually trying these. Some of that is just bonding, I'm sure.
Old Wednesday 16th September 2020, 23:25   #541
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenex View Post
When was the exchange rate so favorable? And surely you're not getting the US warranty with purchases from Europe?

It's fun to see SF32 and NL coming out, but despite the interest I've expressed previously in larger FOV, we're really very happy with the binos we have now (small Leicas and big SLCs) and expect to remain so even after eventually trying these. Some of that is just bonding, I'm sure.
The pound is worth less than the dollar. You can buy Swarovski and Leica binoculars for $500 to $800 less from Europe than the US I don't care about the warranty but Swarovski will still warranty them. https://www.ebay.com/usr/leica-store...p2047675.l2559 moves a lot of Noctivids for around $2K new.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LEICA-NOCTI...UAAOSwinlcXXzx

Last edited by [email protected] : Wednesday 16th September 2020 at 23:31.
Old Thursday 17th September 2020, 09:25   #542
jan van daalen

Quote:
The pound is worth less than the dollar. You can buy Swarovski and Leica binoculars for $500 to $800 less from Europe than the US I don't care about the warranty but Swarovski will still warranty them. https://www.ebay.com/usr/leica-store...p2047675.l2559 moves a lot of Noctivids for around $2K new.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LEICA-NOCTI...UAAOSwinlcXXzx
If you look at the photo's of that shop, you'll see Leica cabinets worth 100,000,00 euro which they got from Leica/Transcontinenta (Leica distribution in The Netherlands). This says something how big they are with Leica.

Jan
Old Thursday 17th September 2020, 09:59   #543
PYRTLE

Quote:
The pound is worth less than the dollar. ]
How do you work this then?

Today, 1 pound sterling = 1.30 US dollars, or 1.10 Euro.
Old Thursday 17th September 2020, 10:49   #544
PeterPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYRTLE View Post
How do you work this then?

Today, 1 pound sterling = 1.30 US dollars, or 1.10 Euro.
That was a curious comment indeed. In fact why pounds?
The currency in the NL is eur.
Old Thursday 17th September 2020, 12:43   #545
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPS View Post
That was a curious comment indeed. In fact why pounds?
The currency in the NL is eur.
And the US $ is worth less than the GB£ and even a little less than the €.

Lee
Old Thursday 17th September 2020, 14:34   #546
[email protected]

For whatever reason we in the US can get Swarovskis from the UK and Leicas from the Netherlands for $500-700 less on Ebay than buying them in the states. Somebody told me it was the currency conversion. Maybe it is just the fact they can sell more over here.

Last edited by [email protected] : Thursday 17th September 2020 at 14:42.
Old Thursday 17th September 2020, 14:52   #547
Troubador

Quote:
For whatever reason we in the US can get Swarovskis from the UK and Leicas from the Netherlands for $500-700 less on Ebay than buying them in the states. Somebody told me it was the currency conversion. Maybe it is just the fact they can sell more over here.
Or you are buying stolen goods.

Half-joking. Half speculating

Lee
Old Thursday 17th September 2020, 14:53   #548
PeterPS

Quote:
It might just be that you don't pay the VAT, which seems to be exactly in the range that you mentioned?
Old Thursday 17th September 2020, 14:55   #549
[email protected]

Quote:
It might just be that you don't pay the VAT, which seems to be exactly in the range that you mentioned?
That could be. I have bought quite a few Swarovski and Leicas from Europe though for the lower prices.
Old Thursday 17th September 2020, 15:27   #550
pbjosh

Quote:
This is the case. The sellers might also sell a bit below MSRP at times, depending on what seller and what circumstances.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: