• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Inspiration for NL's Shape (1 Viewer)

Troubador

Staff member
Supporter
From the first moment I saw a photo of Swarovski's amazing NL, with its 'pinched', 'waisted' tubes, I knew I had seen that shape before. But where? This has been bugging me ever since.

And then the memories came flooding back. In the deep south of France (and probably all over France) in the beautiful Languedoc, in the early morning, you can see people walking around carrying different loads in their hands, shopping bags, brief cases, sheafs of newspapers and so on, but tucked under their arms, and held in place by arm pressure only, was a baguette.

Baguettes are a gorgeous bread loaf but is shaped long and narrow, much like a person's arm. When buying groceries and bread from the canal boat shop in Le Somail, I too walked back to our gite carrying our daily baguette in this same way (baguettes are best eaten fresh) and, by the time I got back, after juggling with other shopping, unlocking, opening and locking the gite door, then making my way upstairs to our accommodation, and all the time gripping the baguette with my arm so it didn't fall, it was pinched where my arm had squashed it.

On the long, ancient wooden table, where we ate (unless we sat outside on the balcony) there it was: a long, narrow shape with this 'waist' in the middle.

And by golly if you picked the baguette up by this squashed section, your hand fitted around it very comfortably.

So there it is, the inspiration for the shape of NL.
Possibly.

Lee
The pic is of our gite.

Attachments

• IMG_1642 Red.jpg
    IMG_1642 Red.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 325
Last edited:
Hi Lee,

I’m not sure to what extent the baguette occupies the thoughts of industrial designers, but . . .

At least some of the inspiration for the NL may have come from Werner Hölbl’s design for the 1980 SL Porro prism binocular,
as outlined at: https://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3908794&postcount=5

The SL had markedly sculpted contours to direct hand placement, which as indicated in the first image, was meant to provide ’easy, tireless handling’

However, as the same body and contouring was used on the short x40/42, medium x50 and long x56 models,
the balance point would have moved progressively forward as the objective diameter and length increased

John

The 2nd and 3rd images of a 7x42 unit are from a 2019 listing on eBay by 20abrakadabra12
The 4th image of a 7x50 unit is from a 2014 eBay listing by kilowattcat

Attachments

• 7x50 SL cut away .jpg
    7x50 SL cut away .jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 78
  • 7x42 a.jpg
    7x42 a.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 7x42 b.jpg
    7x42 b.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 48
  • Side view 7x50.jpg
    Side view 7x50.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 61
This helped me quite a lot. I've just decided not to jump on the NL bandwagon and wait for the latest and greatest from Austria in a couple of years.

Renze

Attachments

• Franz-Müllner-mit-Riesenlaib.jpg
    Franz-Müllner-mit-Riesenlaib.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 188
Hi Lee,

I’m not sure to what extent the baguette occupies the thoughts of industrial designers, but . . .

At least some of the inspiration for the NL may have come from Werner Hölbl’s design for the 1980 SL Porro prism binocular,

John

The 2nd and 3rd images of a 7x42 unit are from a 2019 listing on eBay by 20abrakadabra12

I've never looked through a pair of those, or even recall seeing a pair in the field but have often wandered how modern optics would intergrate into the porro design..porros were once regarded as having superior image quality due to the need for less glass/prisms but the trend for roofs has all but killed off alpha porro bins.

Matt

Hi Lee,

The SL had markedly sculpted contours to direct hand placement, which as indicated in the first image, was meant to provide ’easy, tireless handling’

However, as the same body and contouring was used on the short x40/42, medium x50 and long x56 models,
the balance point would have moved progressively forward as the objective diameter and length increased

John

Thanks John that looks like the porro from space!

Lee

Lee,

If that isn't true, it should be.

...Mike

My feelings exactly.

Depending on the source of the grain it might even be called an 'organic design' or if you were unkind, 'half-baked'. No insult to NL intended, just having a bit of fun with words.

Lee

Hello Lee,

Yes, twice a day, a trip to the bakery for a baguette was in order in France. Returning home with one tucked under the arm was customary. Something may have been lost when the baguette was purchased in a paper bag.

Stay safe,
Arthur :hi:

Troubsey,
Next time just balance the loaf of bread on top of your head so it doesn't get pinched...
or put it behind your ear :)

Kowa SV has a similar shape to a degree

Attachments

• IMG_0833.JPG
    IMG_0833.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 92
Hello Lee,

Yes, twice a day, a trip to the bakery for a baguette was in order in France. Returning home with one tucked under the arm was customary. Something may have been lost when the baguette was purchased in a paper bag.

Stay safe,
Arthur :hi:

The canal boat bread shop (could only be in France) on the canal du midi in Le Somail thoughtfully taped a square of tissue paper around the middle of the baguette to protect it from the emissions from one's armpit, but as you suggest, I think this diminished the subsequent eating experience.

Joking apart, a good fresh French baguette is a terrific delicacy.

Lee

Swarovski Optik has indicated that the development of the NL took 5 years
As an indication of their awareness of the design of the SL during that time, see the screen grab from a 2019 video
It features Franz Erler who is Head of Quality Assurance, and Daniel Rotter who is Head of Test and Measurement

The video starts with Franz noting that the innovative shape and handling of the SL design opened international markets for SO
(the majority of the video concerns the development of the EL - including the primary intention that it should meet the needs of the birding market)

The video ‘An original is an original is an original’, marks 70 years of Swarovski Optik and can be found at: https://aa.swarovskioptik.com/outdo...riginal_is_an_original_is_an_original_Outdoor
While the 2 minute video is in German, activating the Closed Caption option shows English subtitles

John

Attachments

• 70 Years.jpg
    70 Years.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
From the first moment I saw a photo of Swarovski's amazing NL, with its 'pinched', 'waisted' tubes, I knew I had seen that shape before. But where? This has been bugging me ever since.

And then the memories came flooding back. In the deep south of France (and probably all over France) in the beautiful Languedoc, in the early morning, you can see people walking around carrying different loads in their hands, shopping bags, brief cases, sheafs of newspapers and so on, but tucked under their arms, and held in place by arm pressure only, was a baguette.

Baguettes are a gorgeous bread loaf but is shaped long and narrow, much like a person's arm. When buying groceries and bread from the canal boat shop in Le Somail, I too walked back to our gite carrying our daily baguette in this same way (baguettes are best eaten fresh) and, by the time I got back, after juggling with other shopping, unlocking, opening and locking the gite door, then making my way upstairs to our accommodation, and all the time gripping the baguette with my arm so it didn't fall, it was pinched where my arm had squashed it.

On the long, ancient wooden table, where we ate (unless we sat outside on the balcony) there it was: a long, narrow shape with this 'waist' in the middle.

And by golly if you picked the baguette up by this squashed section, your hand fitted around it very comfortably.

So there it is, the inspiration for the shape of NL.
Possibly.

Lee
The pic is of our gite.

Lee:

Nice story, but I cannot find a baguette anywhere in the photo.

Am I trying too hard?

Jerry

This helped me quite a lot. I've just decided not to jump on the NL bandwagon and wait for the latest and greatest from Austria in a couple of years.

Renze

That guy will need a drink to go with that giant scone ...

Attachments

• super big bulp.jpg
    super big bulp.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 48
  • Franz-Müllner-mit-Riesenlaib.jpg
    Franz-Müllner-mit-Riesenlaib.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
GG:

I think the new NL has a female look. Busty up top with a narrow waist and then wider in the hips. ;)

I like it.

Jerry

Lee:

Nice story, but I cannot find a baguette anywhere in the photo.

Am I trying too hard?

Jerry

No Jerry you are absolutely not. I thought there was a baguette in the photo but actually it is just out of shot on the left where there was a raised area comprising cooker, sink and work surface plus cupboards. I actually placed the baguette and other shopping on the worktop and I had forgotten that it was not visible in the pic.

Lee

GG:

I think the new NL has a female look. Busty up top with a narrow waist and then wider in the hips. ;)

I like it.

Jerry

It does have an hourglass shape, but that's what I find unattractive. I guess I prefer a traditional binocular shape. I'm sure it has a great ergonomic fit.
That's not what most women in my State look like; more like that giant scone - big and round ! ironically, I have a mini apple cinnamon scone I'll be eating after breakfast with my tea this morning. o:)

It does have an hourglass shape, but that's what I find unattractive. I guess I prefer a traditional binocular shape. I'm sure it has a great ergonomic fit.
That's not what most women in my State look like; more like that giant scone - big and round ! ironically, I have a mini apple cinnamon scone I'll be eating after breakfast with my tea this morning. o:)

I'd buy a mini apple cinnamon Swaro any time

R

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back