• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nutcracker location Wageningen (1 Viewer)

I'm lucky enough to be in Wageningen next Thursday afternoon but for only 30-60mins! I was hoping to connect with the Nutcracker but wanted to know if it was loyal to a particular spot & where best to check for the latest reports to maximise my chance of seeing it (with such a small window of opportunity!) . Any help gratefully received.

30-60 minutes may be short, but I reckon it should be time enough, although it can hide for some time in the gardens.

I am away on Thursday afternoon, otherwise I would have helped you look for it. But in the meantime, you can keep a close eye on www.waarneming.nl for sightings.

Here you can find a map of the gps-locations of this year (2019): map. So basically look around the corner of the Harnesweg - Churchillweg. At the moment there is a yellow-flowering bush (Cornus), and that is usually a good spot to look for. You can walk around the gardens and it regularly pops up from the gardens into the trees/bushes and on the fences. Needles to say, be kind to the people living there :)

I visited the site at 14:35-15:10 but was unlucky and failed to see the bird. I understand it was seen later after I left. Thanks for the advice thought, grateful

Hi Thijs Fijen. Is the nutcracker still mostly around the same place do you know? I'm in town for a day or 2 and it still gets reported on British sites now and then. Thank you dank u veel

No reports since july 2nd, mind you temmie links to the 'dunsnavelnotenkraker' but it's also reported as a 'notenkraker' so that muddies things a bit. These gaps are normal since the bird has been around for quite a while and anyone that wanted to see one has already done so the # of reports drops a lot.
But I wouldn't be suprised that's it's gone now, waarneming.nl is the best site to keep an eye on for new info.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back