• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Review of 8x25 Victory Pocket (1 Viewer)

I experiment again with my Pocket and I have found that if I set the eyecups fully in then the view seems a bit "larger" and a bit more easy, I mean when the eyecups are fully out it seems that the eyecups block the peripheral view a bit : anyone experiencing the same thing ?

Oh and I'm still in love with my Pocket, such a great design !

Last edited:
My experience is the same with all my binoculars including the Pocket. Even though I don't normally use my prescription glasses with binoculars I enjoy the view more with eyecups fully down. This usually (seems anyway) to give a wider FOV and a more enjoyable image. Some of my friends have this experience as well.

My experience is the same with all my binoculars including the Pocket. Even though I don't normally use my prescription glasses with binoculars I enjoy the view more with eyecups fully down. This usually (seems anyway) to give a wider FOV and a more enjoyable image. Some of my friends have this experience as well.

Great, I’m glad to have discovered this phenomena :)

I tend to use any binoculars less than 32mm with the eye cups down. I've expanded on this elsewhere in the Forum, and it involves some adaption of the holding technique to keep eyes and ocular in line, but once you have it, the full FoV opens up.
In short, i pretty much lock my elbows against my sides, forming a frame for the binoculars; movement (such as panning) is more done from the hips than the neck. I know some have had a pop at this as needless, and that you should just 'buy a binocular with more eye relief', but the only time this technique is an issue is when looking at flight almost above your head.

The 8x25 remain the perfect, every day, all day binoculars for me. I'm primarily just an identifier and a bird by sound/GISS person, and these are lightweight, unobtrusive, and have incredible optical quality relative to their size and price.

Justin

After a year of birding w/this bin in a huge variety of circumstances both near and far from home, I consider it one of the great birding binoculars of all time. When size and weight are not so important, I'll reach for my Swarovski 8.5x42 EL SV, which has an even easier view, but when small pack size matters, the Zeiss 8x25 Victory Pocket has completely replaced my formerly heavily-used Zeiss 8x32 FL and Leica 8x20 Ultravid BL. After a year of use and comparison, I have found that I prefer the 8x25 Victory over the 8x32 FL in every circumstance except extremely low light. I've even gotten good at digi-binning butterflies through the 8x25, which I initially found to be more challenging than with the 8x32.

Despite being a long-time enthusiastic regular user of compact and pocket bins, I have to admit that I still haven't completely cast off my prejudices and mistrust of small bins for critical uses. Normally, when packing light for a combo car and hiking trip with plenty of challenging long-distance viewing, say to Yellowstone National Park, I'll take a top-end 8x32 as a do-all bin and an ~80 mm scope for use near the car. When I contemplate packing for the next such trip, I still can't imagine taking only the 8x25 as my do-all bin. Might have to bring the 8.5x42 as well, for security.

The biggest flaw that I'v found in the design of the 8x25 Victory is in the diopter. For me, since I need it set to the zero position, I've not had much problem, but other users may find that it requires some annoying fiddling. Keeping the zero setting or returning it to zero after it is bumped out of place (which sometimes occurs when sliding the bin into the close-fitting case that I use) is fairly easy because the knob is biased toward settling in the zero position and has a sort of detent for that setting. Any other setting is much more likely to be bumped out of place and would be hard to quickly re-establish since there are no other detents or good visual reference marks. I'd like the next generation of this bin to have a locking diopter.

--AP

Are the 8x better performers, or otherwise preferable to the 10x version of these bins?
If so, why please?
I am a spectacle wearer and cannot use bins without specs.

Last edited:
For anyone looking for a suitable case, I can recommend the Gem Kangaroo Grandad as a perfect fit for the VP, whether fully folded or almost fully open.

Can be used with a shoulder strap or belt and also has a small zippable pouch.

http://www.gem-bags.com/gem-kangaroo-grandad_p22533301.htm

Cottonbase,

Thanks, I bought this case on your recommendation. Perfect fit for the VP at proper IP adjustment with RY harness, Opticron compact rain guard and vortex compact objective covers. Very intelligent, well made and handy design.

Mike

Are the 8x better performers, or otherwise preferable to the 10x version of these bins?
If so, why please?

Riffler, I love my VP 8 and am interested in the 10 as well. Does anyone have any direct experience comparing the two?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

If so, why please?

I've no in-hand experience, but the usual trade-offs apply. The 10x has a narrower field of view, shallower depth of field, and perhaps especially relevant, a smaller exit pupil. Zeiss claims the same 16.5 mm eye relief for both models.

--AP

I experiment again with my Pocket and I have found that if I set the eyecups fully in then the view seems a bit "larger" and a bit more easy, I mean when the eyecups are fully out it seems that the eyecups block the peripheral view a bit : anyone experiencing the same thing ?

Oh and I'm still in love with my Pocket, such a great design !

I have to hold the bins away from my eyes a bit even with the cups fully out - I wish the cups could go a bit further out.

Edmund

Well, I bit the bullet and tried these alongside

Kite Lynx 8x30
Hawke Frontier EDX 8x32
Swaro CL pockets 8x25.

I particularly disliked the double hinge on the Swaros which seemed to make it difficult getting a good image with my specs.

The ZVP image was particularly bright and frame filling...I bought them.
Still pleased with them the day after which, for me, is a good sign.
:)

I have to hold the bins away from my eyes a bit even with the cups fully out - I wish the cups could go a bit further out.

Edmund

That is my experience with an older 8x20 model I have which was made in Hungary. I have to keep my index fingers braced up against my brow ridge to get the extended eye relief for the eye cups that I need to use it. It is awkward to use.

At its price, I would have to try out the new 8x25 version before I decided to buy it.

Bob

Last edited:
Riffler, I love my VP 8 and am interested in the 10 as well. Does anyone have any direct experience comparing the two?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

No but with the 10, as a spectacle wearer, I find that eye position is critical to avoid blackouts, which some may find fatiguing compared to a larger bin. Also have to put them tight against my glasses to get a full frame image.

I think a larger bin would probably be better in overcast / reduced visibility conditions.

Image is superb though and great for more expansive views than the garden.

Last edited:
I bought my Swarovski 8x25 five years ago and have been pleased with their performance. I don't mind the double hinge arrangement because they fold neatly and fit easily into a lens compartment of my smaller camera bag.
My reason for buying a compact binocular was to use them on non birding holidays. I have only used them once for "serious" birding and that was on a guided walk in Central Park new York with dr Robert de Candido (Birder Bob). It was a bright sunny September morning and I did feel unduly compromised. They are particularly good for looking at architectural features in buildings (external and internal).
Yesterday I had the opportunity to look through the new Zeiss Victory 8x25s and was suitably impressed, bright image, good field of view and they felt comfortable to hold.
Without a detailed critical examination, much loved by Bird Forum contributors I would recommend them in favour of the Swarovski. This assessment is based purely on feel. However I will not be rushing out to replace my Swarovskis for Zeiss.
Digression on cases, my wife has used a pair of Nikon 8x20HGs following major surgery in 2004. The Nikon fits snuggly into a leather case with a lid fastened by a magnet. Neat and simple! Additionally the 8x20s have two separate rain guards attached to the lanyard, again neat and effective, IMO conventional rain guards are not great on compact binoculars - too much "bend".

Thank you all for the valuable info in this thread!
I was looking for a compact 8-10 x 20-25mm pair of binoculars for e.g. (mountain) hiking and on bike camping (weight and space concerns), when my larger (and only other) binoculars (10.5x42mm Kite Birder) would be too big and heavy, but still letting me enjoy(!) bird observation. I had been going through reviews and forums, considering different options and planning some more hands-on tests, when I stumbled on a great quick offer for a pair of Victory pocket 8x25mm that I couldn't refuse, eventhough I hadn't tested these yet but only read about, including in this thread.
They arrived this week and I have to admit, based on the very limited quick testing last evenings after work indoors and in the garden, they are really impressive. A first quick comparison confirmed what I had expected and hoped: these small Zeiss won't fully replace my Kite Birder, but they will be complementary. Even a super 8x25 cannot fully replace a very good 10x40 in low light and because of the magnification difference, while the bigger binoculars can be too heavy/large for some use cases. I'm really eager to take them out in nature soon, but I'll be away for work a lot next weeks :-(
In the meantime, I'm now looking for covers for the eyepieces and objectives (fitting on the binoculars both open ànd closed) and a smaller bag (for the binoculars at their smallest, folded/closed, but with covers). I went through the whole thread looking for tips on such accessories and made some summary I might post :)

When you find a nice COMPACT beltpouch and carrying strap please post.

I have a love-hate relationship with the Zeiss Pocket. It goes with me frequently, when I will see some birds or buildings. I used it yesterday to look at some geese. She likes when I wear it when we go out in the evening because when I have it we walk much less and locate restaurants and bus stops several blocks away. On the other hand I hate every second of looking through it, and love every second of looking through my Leica 7x42.

Edmund

Thank you all for the valuable info in this thread!
I was looking for a compact 8-10 x 20-25mm pair of binoculars for e.g. (mountain) hiking and on bike camping (weight and space concerns), when my larger (and only other) binoculars (10.5x42mm Kite Birder) would be too big and heavy, but still letting me enjoy(!) bird observation. I had been going through reviews and forums, considering different options and planning some more hands-on tests, when I stumbled on a great quick offer for a pair of Victory pocket 8x25mm that I couldn't refuse, eventhough I hadn't tested these yet but only read about, including in this thread.
They arrived this week and I have to admit, based on the very limited quick testing last evenings after work indoors and in the garden, they are really impressive. A first quick comparison confirmed what I had expected and hoped: these small Zeiss won't fully replace my Kite Birder, but they will be complementary. Even a super 8x25 cannot fully replace a very good 10x40 in low light and because of the magnification difference, while the bigger binoculars can be too heavy/large for some use cases. I'm really eager to take them out in nature soon, but I'll be away for work a lot next weeks :-(
In the meantime, I'm now looking for covers for the eyepieces and objectives (fitting on the binoculars both open ànd closed) and a smaller bag (for the binoculars at their smallest, folded/closed, but with covers). I went through the whole thread looking for tips on such accessories and made some summary I might post :)

When you find a nice COMPACT beltpouch and carrying strap please post.

I have a love-hate relationship with the Zeiss Pocket. It goes with me frequently, when I will see some birds or buildings. I used it yesterday to look at some geese. She likes when I wear it when we go out in the evening because when I have it we walk much less and locate restaurants and bus stops several blocks away. On the other hand I hate every second of looking through it, and love every second of looking through my Leica 7x42.

Edmund

Edmund,

You "hate every every second looking through" the Victory Pocket 8x25?

As we would say here in Texas: "Mais non! Pas possible! Certainement pas! Allons enfants de la patrie avec le Victory Pocket! Vive la France!"

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back