• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Owls (1 Viewer)

Strix cayanensis is the juvenile of Asio flammeus suinda Vieillot. Or so said Gray (Handlist of genera and subgenera) "Strix cayanensis, juv." and Kaup (Monograph of the Strigidae Contributions to Ornithology 1851 page 120) And so says my eyes when I look at the picture in Shaw's Vivarium naturæ or the naturalist's miscellany.
https://books.google.com/books?id=4...EIITAB#v=onepage&q="Strix cayanensis"&f=false .
The type of Macabra is Syrnium macabrum Bonaparte 1850 Consp.
I Don't Give a Hoot, page 123.
https://books.google.com/books?id=9...ved=0ahUKEwjmx9ytzubLAhVJ6GMKHZkjBB4Q6AEIQTAH .
Peters said ; Kelso later found that the type of Macabra Bonaparte is Syrnium macabrum Bonaparte
( = Syrnium albogulare Cassin) by tautonymy and proposed Tacitathena as a new subgenus
with Strix hylophila Termninck as type.
https://sora.unm.edu/sites/default/files/journals/auk/v055n02/p0179-p0186.pdf .

Last edited:
Strix cayanensis is the juvenile of Asio flammeus suinda Vieillot. Or so said Gray (Handlist of genera and subgenera) "Strix cayanensis, juv." and Kaup (Monograph of the Strigidae Contributions to Ornithology 1851 page 120) And so says my eyes when I look at the picture in Shaw's Vivarium naturæ or the naturalist's miscellany.
https://books.google.com/books?id=4...EIITAB#v=onepage&q="Strix cayanensis"&f=false .
But, if so, suinda should be called cayennensis (as it indeed was by Kaup). Shaw's plate is but a redraw of Martinet's plate, associated to Buffon's work (link in my earlier post above). I might perhaps construe the plate as showing a Short-eared Owl; I have a much harder time with Buffon's description: the whole bird was said to be rufous, and marked, both above and below, with very thin transversal wavy barring. Short-eared Owl is streaked longitudinally below, and has no thin wavy transversal barring anywhere in the plumage.
The type of Macabra is Syrnium macabrum Bonaparte 1850 Consp.
I Don't Give a Hoot, page 123.
https://books.google.com/books?id=9...ved=0ahUKEwjmx9ytzubLAhVJ6GMKHZkjBB4Q6AEIQTAH .
Peters said ; Kelso later found that the type of Macabra Bonaparte is Syrnium macabrum Bonaparte
( = Syrnium albogulare Cassin) by tautonymy and proposed Tacitathena as a new subgenus
with Strix hylophila Termninck as type.
https://sora.unm.edu/sites/default/files/journals/auk/v055n02/p0179-p0186.pdf .
OK, this is the source of the name having been used for albogularis alone, then. But this is not correct. Peters (and probably other authors of his time) accepted quite a few similar fixations "by tautonymy", due to the mere existence of a tautonymous name synonymous with one of the included species. None of these is acceptable under the present rules. To have a type fixation by tautonymy, the tautonymous species name MUST be CITED and included in the genus in the OD. (Which names are subjective synonyms of one another is taxonomy, not nomenclature: different authors might disagree on this. The type species of a generic name must in principle be determinable objectively, in a way fully independent from subjective opinions. Thus subjective synonymy cannot be used in determining the type species, unless the synonymy statement is made explicitly by the author.) This is definitely not the case here, hence Syrnium macabrum Bp is absolutely not eligible to be the type of the Macabra.

Pseudociccaba Kelso [OD] seems OK (nomenclaturally, at least).

Last edited:
Thanks Laurent for clearing that up. And thanks for the link to Kelso 1932. I would like to see Kelso & Kelso 1937 if anyone can find that digitized? Kelso, Leon; Kelso, E. H., 1937: Supplement to the synopsis of the American Wood Owls of the genus Ciccaba. Biological Leaflets, No. 7.

Jessie Salter. A phylogenomic hypothesis of relationships among Typical Owls (Strigidae). Talk, The Evolution Conference, Austin, Texas, June 17-21, 2016.

New Findings:
Glaucidium is paraphyletic
Previous studies found G. brodiei (SE Asia) is highly divergent from other Glaucidium
Previous studies recovered other Glaucidium species in similar positions

Ninox is paraphyletic
Ninox jacquinoti (Solomon Islands) in Athene
Previous studies recovered Ninox superciliaris (Madagascar) in Athene

Salter's talk on youtube here

"Glaucidium" brodiei in genus Xenoglaux , so?
MtDNA data place this species in what seems to be the same position, together with Micrathene whitneyi. Unfortunately, no genetic data have been published yet for Xenoglaux, and Micrathene was not in Jessie Salters data set, hence it is impossible to be sure of anything about the relationships within the group.

But, anyway, "Xenoglaux brodiei" is not an option. The generic names that would be anchored in this group, assuming it is limited to these three spp, are:

Taenioptynx Kaup 1848 [OD]; type species by original monotypy: Noctua brodiei Burton 1836 [OD].
Micrathene Coues 1866 [OD]; type species by original designation: Athene whitneyi Cooper 1861 [OD].
Xenoglaux O'Neill & Graves 1977 [OD]; type species by original designation: Xenoglaux loweryi O'Neill & Graves 1977 [OD].

Attachments

• Strigiformes-cox1-cytb-12s.pdf
    6.6 KB · Views: 101
MtDNA data place this species in what seems to be the same position, together with Micrathene whitneyi. Unfortunately, no genetic data have been published yet for Xenoglaux, and Micrathene was not in Jessie Salters data set, hence it is impossible to be sure of anything about the relationships within the group.

But, anyway, "Xenoglaux brodiei" is not an option. The generic names that would be anchored in this group, assuming it is limited to these three spp, are:

Taenioptynx Kaup 1848 [OD]; type species by original monotypy: Noctua brodiei Burton 1836 [OD].
Micrathene Coues 1866 [OD]; type species by original designation: Athene whitneyi Cooper 1861 [OD].
Xenoglaux O'Neill & Graves 1977 [OD]; type species by original designation: Xenoglaux loweryi O'Neill & Graves 1977 [OD].

Taenioptynx, I didn't know this genus. It's cool.

Cyprus Scops Owls

Tif Update October, 2016

Scops Owls: The Cyprus Scops Owl, Otus cyprius, has been split from the Eurasian Scops Owl, Otus scops, based on Flint et al. Zootaxa (2015) and Robb et al. (2015).
[Strigidae, Afroaves II, 3.05]

Last edited:
That would make Eurasian Scops Owl unidentifiable in the field, except calling males.

Anybody knows what sample size was in these call and single nucleotide differences, which were basis of the assertion that Eurasian Scops doesn't invade Cyprus? N > 1?

Nutcracker seems to have some problems with the way Lenomenclariste spells some english birdnames. This is of courde because it is his native language, not the one of Lenomenclariste. You expect everyone on this forum to speak and write perfect English. Well, let me tell you, many members of birdforum do not have English as their first language, so mistakes are expected. If the forum was in French or German or Dutch, you would have a lot of problems. In this case your remarks are on hyphens in bird names. English names are not official names and nobody should care about a hyphen or not. Birds have an official Latin name, and that is the only name that matters, so again I suggest that we use the Latin names, not the name in some regional language.

Fred Ruhe

Last edited:
Nutcracker seems to have some problems with the way LeNomenclatoriste :cool: spells some english birdnames. This is of course because it is his native language, not the one of LeNomenclatoriste :cool: . You expect everyone on this forum to speak and write perfect English. Well, let me tell you, many members of birdforum do not have English as their first language, so mistakes are expected. If the forum was in French or German or Dutch, you would have a lot of problems. In this case your remarks are on hyphens in bird names. English names are not official names and nobody should care about a hyphen or not. Birds have an official Latin name, and that is the only name that matters, so again I suggest that we use the Latin names, not the name in some regional language.

Fred Ruhe

Boyd use hyphens. I simply copy/pasted the original text from Tif. ;)

Last edited:
Anybody knows what sample size was in these call and single nucleotide differences, which were basis of the assertion that Eurasian Scops doesn't invade Cyprus? N > 1?
Flint et al had 39 cyprius and 108 individuals of other ssp for vocal analysis. For molecular analysis they had three cyprius and seven of other ssp, for biometrics they had 51 cyprius and 24 other ssp. For plumage analysis, the sample size is not given.

Robb et al does not give any sample sizes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back