• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Burrowing Owl (1 Viewer)

Richard Klim

-------------------------
Baladrón, Cavalli, Isacch, Bó & Madrid 2015. Body size and sexual dimorphism in the southernmost subspecies of the Burrowing Owl (Athene cunicularia cunicularia). J Raptor Res 49(4): 479–485. [abstract]

Holt et al 2014 (HBW Alive).

Alberto Macías-Duarte, Courtney J. Conway, Geoffrey L. Holroyd, Héctor E. Valdez-Gómez, Melanie Culver. Genetic Variation among Island and Continental Populations of Burrowing Owl (Athene cunicularia) Subspecies in North America. Journal of Raptor Research, 53(2), (9 May 2019) https://doi.org/10.3356/JRR-18-00002

Abstract:

Burrowing Owls (Athene cunicularia) have a large geographic range spanning both North and South America and resident populations occur on many islands in the eastern Pacific Ocean and the Caribbean Sea. Many owl populations are isolated and disjunct from other populations, but studies on genetic variation within and among populations are limited. We characterized DNA microsatellite variation in populations varying in size and geographic isolation in the Florida (A. c. floridana), the Western (A. c. hypugaea), and the Clarion (A. c. rostrata) subspecies of the Burrowing Owl. We also characterized genetic variation in a geographically isolated population of the western subspecies in central Mexico (near Texcoco Lake). Clarion Burrowing Owls had no intrapopulation variation (i.e., fixation) at 5 out of 11 microsatellite loci, a likely outcome of genetic drift in an isolated and small population. The Florida subspecies had only polymorphic loci but had reduced levels of genetic variation compared with the more-widespread western subspecies that occurs throughout western North America. Despite the extensive geographic distribution of the Western Burrowing Owl, we found genetic differentiation between the panmictic population north of the Trans-Mexican Volcanic Belt and the resident Texcoco Lake population in central Mexico.

[pdf]

Last night I zoomed into an Audubon meeting about taxonomy and specifically about Burrowing Owls being two species. Very interesting. I really did not want to give my personal info to the Chinese Communist Party but it was worth it.
http://www.sequoia-audubon.org/program.html .
Soon they will post a recording of the video conference. Worth watching. They will also post video of the meeting of the local Audubon Society. Excellent discussion about J. J. Audubon's part in structural racism in the United States. Well one can wish.

If you look at distribution, the gap across Costa Rica/Panama/Caribbean Sea seems to be the most obvious geographic separator. I am curious if that is what they were talking about or whether it is the seemingly separated Greater Antillean population that has differentiated.

Niels

the author of the talk in question is Alvaro Jaramillo, who is on my facebook. He mentioned taping South American birds and finding them very vocally distinct from the US birds, or at least the western US birds. I would be curious to see how the Caribbean birds fit into this.

If Alvaro is giving talks about splitting these, then I would expect a SACC proposal before too long :t:

Niels

There is also a substantial COI distance between Nearctic & Neotropical birds, although my notes on that don't reference a source to check sampling localities.

If Alvaro is giving talks about splitting these, then I would expect a SACC proposal before too long :t:

Niels

Wouldn't necessarily expect it: you'd want published details with enough data to figure out where to draw the line. E.g., if Colombian birds group with northern populations, then what about pichinchae and nanodes? Knowing that there's at least two species in there doesn't tell you what those two species are.

[QUOTEWouldn't necessarily expect it: you'd want published details with enough data to figure out where to draw the line. E.g., if Colombian birds group with northern populations, then what about pichinchae and nanodes? Knowing that there's at least two species in there doesn't tell you what those two species are.][/QUOTE]
Yes the speaker emphasised there were many rivers to cross. Especially about drawing the line. He called himself a hobby taxonomist using eBird and xeno-canto for this purpose.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back