• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (32 Viewers)

2 Garganey (male & female) at 07.50 flew in front of East Hide at the Moors Pool, circled around back and lost to view as per Dave Jackson

some from yesterday

couldn't put any more on files too big.

Attachments

• DSC01161.jpg
    DSC01161.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 161
  • DSC01251.jpg
    DSC01251.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 178
  • DSC01337.jpg
    DSC01337.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 180
Dave J reports from the Moors Pool:

No further sign of Garganey. 3 Little Egrets, 2 Swallow, 2 Sand Martin, Meadow Pipit, 5 Oystercatchers, 3 Curlew

Nice to see Vincent Garvey's photo with the trio of Grey Heron, Little Egret and Great White Egret make it into the latest Trust magazine.

Last edited:
Today 5.15 am till 2pm. Stayed at flashes till 1pm. 54 species at Flashes 61 in total. Phil has mentioned most so won't duplicate.
Still plenty of winter thrushes around and 200+ starlings. On sailing pool 3 swallows and 12 sand martin. On flashes 2 LRP and 10 curlew - numbers fluctuating as more birds pass through. At least 17 lapwings with many males displaying. Also at least 3 pairs of stock dove were flight displaying - hovering one above the other:t:
Ducks are coming and going with a pair of both Garganey ( seen by Dave) & a pair of goosander passing through. Pochard have all now departed. Tufted have built up dramatically with 80 - 100 present. Teal are holding on with 26 present and a sudden influx of Shoveler now up to 27. Gadwall have declined to about 6.
Waders:- oystercatchers 3 pairs. lapwing 19. Avocet 29.

Evening down the flashes following the massive downpour and winds. A 30c Hirundine flock on the sailing pool consisted on 20c Sand Martin and c10 Swallow. Also in the flock was a single House Martin.
The flashes was fairly uneventful, with my duplicates from earlier in the day, 2 LRP etc. But 4 Shelduck, 5 Gadwall, and 5+ Common Snipe.
Main attraction was the return of last years Med X BHG hybrid, showing well (Often the closest bird to the hide). As last year, the plumage was half way house between the two species. It was particularly intersting to hear it calling, sounding mostly like BHG, but with a slight Med 'twang', particularly on single note calls. It even strutted around and displayed like a Med Gull! Looks like it won't be going anywhere soon!
DSC06523 - Copy.jpgDSC06530 - Copy.JPGDSC06544 - Copy.JPGDSC06599 - Copy.JPGDSC06611 - Copy.JPG

Last edited:
Well, yesterday I received a refund of my WT membership subscription, having resigned over the WT deciding to play an active part in politics. Rather dismayed to see that in the upcoming referendum they have decided to put out their views on the benefits of being in the EU, using our subscriptions to produce snazzy videos and documents. Whilst they disingenuously state they are not telling anyone how to vote they apparently refused a request from some counties (including Worcs) to put out a statement on the pros and cons of EU membership.
I did point out that the EU has signally failed to address the issue of Malta, and it had gone so far as to appoint a Maltese pro-hunting, pro-development minister as Environment Minister! And that Malta has sanctioned the shooting of 5000 Turtle Doves this year but they could not be bothered to reply. So, my only weapon left was to resign after roughly 11 years of membership. I may still visit WT sites but will have to purchase a day permit but I know I will contribute less than the £32 I used to.

Well, yesterday I received a refund of my WT membership subscription, having resigned over the WT deciding to play an active part in politics. Rather dismayed to see that in the upcoming referendum they have decided to put out their views on the benefits of being in the EU, using our subscriptions to produce snazzy videos and documents. Whilst they disingenuously state they are not telling anyone how to vote they apparently refused a request from some counties (including Worcs) to put out a statement on the pros and cons of EU membership.
I did point out that the EU has signally failed to address the issue of Malta, and it had gone so far as to appoint a Maltese pro-hunting, pro-development minister as Environment Minister! And that Malta has sanctioned the shooting of 5000 Turtle Doves this year but they could not be bothered to reply. So, my only weapon left was to resign after roughly 11 years of membership. I may still visit WT sites but will have to purchase a day permit but I know I will contribute less than the £32 I used to.

I wouldn't dispute that the EU pressure on Malta, Cyprus and some other Mediterranean states has been inadequate but I fail to see how Britain leaving the EU would do anything to increase the pressure. Surely no one can believe that the current British government (or any likely successors) would have conservation as a priority. We are surely better to seek allies in our campaigns to save our birds. There may be reasons for leaving the EU but wildlife protection is certainly not one of them.

Peter

a few from today

was in the east hide earlier when near enough every coot and tufted shot from the other end up to mine, never seen so many coots in the air, at one point there were 29 coots on the island in front of the hide, but couldn't see what was causing the commotion until all the gulls started to mob an otter down by the bittern channel. anyway when i mentioned it to a bloke who came in the hide it turned out there had been three in the channel at the side of the hide opposite you could have got a good pic on ya phone all that was left when i went round was a good sized dead perch they'd left, some you win!3:)

Attachments

• DSC01427.JPG
    DSC01427.JPG
    234.8 KB · Views: 118
  • DSC01466.JPG
    DSC01466.JPG
    641.4 KB · Views: 122
  • DSC01476.JPG
    DSC01476.JPG
    521.2 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC01403.jpg
    DSC01403.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 103
  • DSC01384.jpg
    DSC01384.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 109

You are right to voice your concern, Rob. Regardless of one's views on our membership of the EU, it is completely inapproriate for an organisation to channel charitable funds towards such political propaganda. I think the people responsible should ackowledge that this is a misappropriation of funds and maintain political neutrality on this important mater of personal conscience.

Interesting mix day, a walk up the public foot path next to salwarpe with a few fallen trees, chiffchaff and a large peregrine flying over the top of the west hide only other of note pheasant calling. Sailing pool 14 sand martin (1 house martin & 1 sallow reported) Flashes 18.00hrs 31 Avocet 2 LRP 14 Lapwing 2 Ostercatchers 2 Curlew (1 Green sand reported in book)3 Shelduck 6 Gadwall Shoveler Teal 2 LBBG 350c BHG + 1 female Med/BHG
pic 1, A38 field
pic 2, Raven having 2nd attempt against the wind
pic 3 one of the LRP 2nd bird never to close to this one
pic 4 Med/BHG with male friend (here we go again:eek!:)

Attachments

• IMG_2860.JPG
    IMG_2860.JPG
    655.6 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_2873.JPG
    IMG_2873.JPG
    345.7 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_2879.JPG
    IMG_2879.JPG
    564.8 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_2880.JPG
    IMG_2880.JPG
    882.3 KB · Views: 118
British summertime begins

I enjoyed a couple of hours at Upton this afternoon and it was appropriate that almost the first thing I saw was a small flock of swallows over the sailing pool. I promptly got soaked in a downpour and sought refuge in the Cuckoo Hide for a while before conditions improved enough to move to the Avocet Hide.

There were good numbers of avocet. Also saw a couple of little ringed plover. Teal and lapwing were looking stunning in the sunshine.

I finished the day at the Moors where there were plenty of small birds at the feeders to include a pair of bullfinches. Well done to Paul C, Bob P and everyone else helping to keep them clean and topped up.

I saw three little egret at the Moors, but the highlight of my visit was a fantastic view of a male sparrowhawk flying towards the feeders and then perching in a nearby tree.

The Moors this afternoon

Spent a lovely couple of hours at The Moors today (apart from the hailstorm!) - I heard my first ever Cetti's Warbler at the North Moors within ten minutes of getting out of the car! There were two Little Egrets on the North Moors pool.

I made an attempt to count the Black-Headed Gulls at Amy's Marsh during the hailstorm - c80. There was a Little Egret on the left of the hide. Also,
Cormorant - 8
Tufted Duck - 6
Oystercatcher - 4
Shelduck - 4
Shoveler - 9
LBBG - 1

Another birder saw a Little Grebe later on, which I missed - have never seen one of those :(

Apologies, as I realised too late that I had dated my entry in the logbook as the 26th instead of today's date - if I had a brain I'd be dangerous. I will change it when I get chance.

On the walk back from the East Hide towards Lifestyles I heard a Chiffchaff and a Cetti's Warbler.

Saw my first Water Rail from the concrete hide, along with Reed Buntings and assorted finches (Chaffinches, Greenfinches, pair of Bullfinches) on the feeders (no Siskins or Redpolls though). Another birder saw a Little Grebe - obviously my bogey-bird, as I missed it yet again.

Looking back through my photos I have found a strange-looking Black-Headed Gull - I am a beginner, so it may be 'normal', but its hood reached further down the back of the neck than the others it was with. I didn't notice it in the field, unfortunately, so I only have the poor photo (attached) to go on - could it be a Med Gull hybrid?

Attachments

• 1083.JPG
    1083.JPG
    341.5 KB · Views: 142
  • 1084.JPG
    1084.JPG
    156.7 KB · Views: 144
  • 1082.jpg
    1082.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread