• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Baader Hyperion Mark IV zoom on Kowa 883 Prominar (1 Viewer)

BoldenEagle

Finland
Hi,

I got Baader Morpheus 12.5mm eyepiece for my Kowa 883 and found it to be very nice to look through. It seems to be brighter than Kowa's TE-11WZ zoom (at about 40x mag.) eyepiece and maybe even little sharper. It also has very wide fov (76 degrees). I haven't done any resolution comparison or other objective testing but in actual use in the field it has been working very satisfactory. Well, after I made it usable by adding old spare eyecup of Leica 25-50x zoom so I can deal with it's very long eye relief, even I'm using eyeglasses...

I'm wondering if Baader Hyperion Mark IV zoom eyepiece might have some optical advantage over Kowa's 25-60x TE-11WZ zoom eyepiece? Maybe Morpheus brightness is better than TE-11WZ because of less lenses but will the Baader zoom be similarly brighter?

Juhani

I believe Henry Link said the Hyperion zoom was brighter than the Kowa. Really tempted to buy the Hyperion zoom and a 773 just to see how the combo works.

I used the Baader Zoom on a Pentax 65mm scope, and out of curiosity I tried it on my Kowa 883 as well. Without doing any formal testing then, I found the Kowa 25-60x was clearly superior in overal image quality as well as ease of view in combination with glasses . Actually I have not seen a better wide-angle zoom yet.

Actually I have not seen a better wide-angle zoom yet.

Yes, TE-11WZ zoom is a premium one, a joy to use. Zoom with fewer lens elements would theoretically be brighter if lens coatings woul be equal but I doubt that Baader Hyperion would nevertheless otherwise be better than TE-11WZ. But it would be interesting to see the difference in practise if I sometime get the chance to test BH zoom.

Juhani

Can't vouch for either in any spotting scope. But I own an astro-modded TE11WZ (for use with 2"-telescope focusers) and have owned a Baader Mark IV Zoom. I use/used them extensively in my 8" f/4.9 Newtonian as well as various f/6 and f/7 refractors.

Not much difference in edge sharpness at f/7 between the two. Get down to f/6, though, and the TE11WZ starts pulling away. The BZ4 has noticeably softer edges at f/6 vs. the TE-11WZ. At f/4.9 in the Newtonian, the BZ4 is decent with a coma corrector, but soft over the outer third of the field of view in the lower power (16 - 24mm) settings. The Kowa holds it own with or without coma correction.

Another key difference is that intangible, "snap" / "oomph" that you get when you focus stars with a premium eyepiece. The Kowa had more of this intangible, je-ne-sais-quoi than the Baader.

Not meaning to dog the Baader. For what it does and the range it covers, it's a bargain and it earned a spot in my eyepiece case--and it was my only non-Televue eyepiece at the time. But the Kowa, despite a slightly more limited range, is still superior to my eyes.

--Phil

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back