• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A High End Alpha Grade 42mm Monocular (1 Viewer)

gcole

United States
Some here really dislike them, some would never recommend them but there is no denying how far the current top selling monoculars have vastly improved in the last 50 years. I reference this time period because it was back in the late 60’s when I first handled and looked thru a K-Mart Focal Brand monocular, never ever imaging some 50 years later the almost magical view that the current monoculars being sold today would provide. Now this is not meant to be a review and I am not or ever been associated with Opticron.
Below is a picture of the Opticron DBA VHD + 8 x42 Monocular we recently purchased from Gordon(ProudPapa56) “ Honey Creek Bill & Beak ” I have owned its maternal twin, the DBA VHD 8x42 First Generation Binocular and also the first generation DBA 8x42 and 10x monoculars. Having said this, The DBA VHD + 8x42 Monocular is physically the same size of one of the DBA VHD Binocular Barrels, optically having the same crystal clear/sharp bright view and shares the same high level of build construction. Opticron describes these as Professional Grade. I would agree and also go as far as to say they check all the box’s to qualify as an Alpha Grade 42mm Monocular. I highly recommend them, give Gordon a PM you will like his prices and his service is A+.

Attachments

• 53016FDF-EBC6-4108-8BE7-F668EC2AF396.jpg
    53016FDF-EBC6-4108-8BE7-F668EC2AF396.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
How do these compare with the 8x42 BGA monoculars and the Oasis version too?

Sorry I did not respond sooner. First off I never handled the BGA version but I do know cost wise the BGA Monoculars are about half the cost of the Oasis and current Generation DBA VHD + version. From pictures/spec’s of the BGA Monocular on the Opticron Web Site, i can only assume that the $200 plus higher cost of the Oasis and VHD + version is due to their more robust construction combined with having Higher End Glass. I know the DBA Oasis and the DBA VHD + are sourced from Japan. Opticrons BGA Monoculars if sourced from China ? could also be a factor in their lower cost. I have owned both the DBA Oasis 8x and the 10x42 DBA Oasis Monoculars. Right up to the time before I received the 8x42 DBA VHD + version I regretted selling the 8x42 DBA Oasis version. If I could have re-purchased the now discontinued DBA Oasis 8x42 Version, I would have. Having said this, the current DBA VHD+ to my eyes seems to be a tad brighter with a cleaner view. I am assuming the ED components in the upgraded current version DBA VHD + is the reason for this. Physically the 8x42 DBA Oasis Monocular was more compact, slightly more robust having a different ocular design/eye cup. The eye cup design of the DBA Oasis Monocular I think was better than the current DBA VHD + version. If I had to choose now between the DBA Oasis 8x42 or the current DBA VHD + I would choose the first generation DBA Oasis just simply because I liked the Eye Cup Design of the DBA Oasis over the DBA VHD + version even though the DBA VHD + Monocular to my eyes has a tad brighter/cleaner view.

Last edited:
Hello guys! Greeting. Hope everybody well.

Does ‘8x42 DBA VHD + monocular’ and ‘DBA VHD + binocular’ has the same brightness and sharpness?? And 8x42 DBA VHD + monocular, is it perfect for birding purpose, I would love to buy one.

Thanks in advance.

I found the Opticron 8x42 DBA VHD + Monocular and Binocular equally bright/sharp. In my case while using the monocular with my right dominant eye, I could actually fine tune the monocular a tad sharper with my right eye with the monocular. As far as which is better for birding, that would depend on how you plan on using them … stationary or moving targets and your physical needs. When using two eyes it is easier/more comfortable to view thru a binocular, the plus side of the DBA + Monocular is …. it’s easier/lighter to carry and half or less the cost of the DBA + Binocular. I highly recommend either the DBA + Monocular or the DBA + Binocular.

Last edited:
Hi guys, I currently have an Opticron WA ED-R 8x42 monocular and find that the focusing control is extremely stiff.
I had been hoping that the monocular would be suitable for single handed use but is not the case due to focusing stiffness.
Can the DBA be used single handed?
Many thanks.

Hi guys, I currently have an Opticron WA ED-R 8x42 monocular and find that the focusing control is extremely stiff.
I had been hoping that the monocular would be suitable for single handed use but is not the case due to focusing stiffness.
Can the DBA be used single handed?
Many thanks.
Haven’t managed it with mine yet, but apparently it eases up with use. One thing I can say is that the image is superb !

Haven’t managed it with mine yet, but apparently it eases up with use. One thing I can say is that the image is superb !
Yep it does ease up with use, though I still need to give it a quick back and forth, to ease it up, before taking it out. I wouldn't say it's a single handed monocular though. I'd pick one of the ones with the stick out spotting scope style focuser for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back