• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

August Moths (1 Viewer)

Farnboro John

Well, it's August in my back garden, anyway ;)

51 moths of 31 species last night, three of which are now on the ID sub-forum awaiting sentencing. God it was hot. And muggy. In fact, fairly revolting for a human.

Highest individual species total was a mere 6 Shuttle-shaped darts but the Common Rustic aggs hit 5 and so did Tree-lichen Beauty. 2 Ruby Tigers included one really nice bright one, and another 2 Canary-shouldered Thorns were nice as well. Furthest out of the usual at present was the year's second Copper Underwing.

Cheers

John

Why were they looking for Brown Hairstreaks? 3:)

John
Sorry, it’s late and I’m trying to browse the interweebs and write a few comments about Lammergeiers while watching cricket highlights (who says blokes can’t multitask - Oh, apparently I can’t).

Anyway, it took me several seconds to realise this was a joke. After all, it’s the right time of year to be looking for Brown Hairstreaks, whether you’re a butterflying human or a Gypsy Moth.

Forthcoming paper? “Brown Hairstreak; predation by the Gypsy Moth”?

Anyway, the cricket is a bit one-sided, but well bowled Ali Rashid.

Why were they looking for Brown Hairstreaks? 3:)

John

Very droll, John!8-P Anyway did find 2 male & a female Brown Hairstreak on Creeping Thistle. Never dreamt there would be a colony within 3 miles of home-used to go down to Bookham Common to see them, but never as easy there.

Took an away day yesterday and went down to Dungeness to look for Sickle-bearing Bush-cricket.
Whilst passing the Obs was shown a few top moths thanks to the kindness of the warden. Sussex Emerald (stunner, Dunge speciality), Oak Processionary, Vestal, Toadflax Pug, Rest Harrow (interesting, rare one), Ethmia bipunctella (nicely marked micro). Also, Oblique Striped at Sandwich Bay while hunting Sandrunners (shieldbug) in dunes.
First Aug trap tonight.

Good start to the month with my second lifer of the week, an Ear Moth, and another Straw Underwing a day after my first-ever.
Maiden's Blush and LBBYU also new for the year, and 16 Marbled Beauty a decent count.

Steve

First trap in the garden for over a week. One of those sessions where attending the trap for a bit in the evening paid dividends, as its contents in the morning was pretty lacklustre - 51 moths, 39 of which were Large yellow Underwings, and Dun-bar the most exciting of the other 11 species. Chilling at the back of the fridge when I got up this morning, however, were Grey/Dark Dagger, Phoenix and three ticks - Yellow-barred Brindle, a couple of Small Phoenix and a Copper Underwing. I enjoy our family holidays, but also, it's good to be home.

Attachments

• IMG_3476.JPG
    IMG_3476.JPG
    331.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3514.JPG
    IMG_3514.JPG
    292.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3469.JPG
    IMG_3469.JPG
    429.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3540.JPG
    IMG_3540.JPG
    333.9 KB · Views: 27
Very droll, John!8-P Anyway did find 2 male & a female Brown Hairstreak on Creeping Thistle. Never dreamt there would be a colony within 3 miles of home-used to go down to Bookham Common to see them, but never as easy there.

Sorry....

I went out after Brown Hairstreaks with my team today and we had about half a dozen across the large area in which they are found near Shipton Bellinger on Salisbury Plain (birders may recall a Red-foot there many years ago).

In the course of the day split between there and Broughton Down where our quarry was Silver-spotted Skipper (also successful) we had Magpie Moth (NFY)and Yellow Shell at Shipton Bellinger, while Broughton Down yielded up Treble-bar and Six-spot Burnet (both NFY).

Previous to all this excitement my own trap produced 26 moths of 20 species,: 6 Shuttles led the field while a White-point was NFY, a Flame Shoulder hadn't occurred for a while and a Poplar Hawk-moth in good nick showed those are not over yet.

John

Last night (1st Aug) - 17 of 14 (considerably down from previous nights); 6 of 5 were outside the trap (only multiples were Small Phoenix with 3, Dingy Footman with 2). Driving back through the lanes at around 10pm before setting the trap around 10:30 lots of moths out though.

Ear Moth sp. and Least Yellow Underwing were new.

8 Micro species though; Light Brown Apple Moth and Rush Veneer were new.

Up at Godrevy Sands/Head, near Hayle during the day lots of 6-spot Burnet ad and Cinnabar Moth caterpillars (and Silver-studded Blue butterfly at nearby Hell's Mouth).

Took an away day yesterday and went down to Dungeness to look for Sickle-bearing Bush-cricket.
Whilst passing the Obs was shown a few top moths thanks to the kindness of the warden. Sussex Emerald (stunner, Dunge speciality), Oak Processionary, Vestal, Toadflax Pug, Rest Harrow (interesting, rare one), Ethmia bipunctella (nicely marked micro). Also, Oblique Striped at Sandwich Bay while hunting Sandrunners (shieldbug) in dunes.
First Aug trap tonight.

Interestingly the Asst Warden at Dunge is camping down at mine this week, running a second trap, and providing my moth mentoring (I'm a tad rusty after a few years non-mothing!)

Last edited:
There must be some underlying reason why you don't catch much Andy.

It seemed a pretty decent night, though numbers were not as high as I hoped. But I did finally join the Straw Underwing club, a complete lifer, plus I had five others NFY: Oegoconia quadripuncta (agg),Pandemis corylana, Pyrausta aurata, Phycita roberella (first for seven years) and Dusky Thorn.

Steve

I changed the light, still only three moths last night, Early Thorn, Rustic / Uncertain and Lg Y Underwing.

Last night was dire. Cloudy, warmish and still but few moths. 47 moths of 24 species, but so little movement I gave up at 00:30. Copper Underwing my only new garden moth. The rest the expected.

It's all relative. Dropping away sharply here. Cold and moon getting fuller I guess. 10 moths of 7 species.

Dingy Footman 2
Small Phoenix 2
Flame Shoulder 2
Uncertain/Rustic 1
Lesser BBY Underwing 1
LYU 1
Small Wainscot 1

Small Wainscot was new. Also Chrysoteuchia culmella 2 and Eudonia sp.

Interesting catch here but for what was missing rather than what was there - no Common Rustics, Dark Arches or Uncertains at all and just one Large Yellow Underwing.

Lychnis and Lime-speck Pug NFY, and 16 Marbled Beauty equals my record catch of yesterday.

Steve

Interesting catch here but for what was missing rather than what was there - no Common Rustics, Dark Arches or Uncertains at all and just one Large Yellow Underwing.

Lychnis and Lime-speck Pug NFY, and 16 Marbled Beauty equals my record catch of yesterday.

Steve

I usually get 2/3 per night most years but so far I've had two, total. A lot of common stuff is down, Copper Underwing, Lg Y Underwing, Straw Dot, Dark Arches, all very low numbers this year.

Last night produced 26 moths of 13 species, wish I hadn't bothered.
But today a garden tick in the form of a Jersey Tiger in the middle of the day flying around the garden.
I suspect from friend's reports it may be the first of many though.

Just realised I accidentally posted this under the July moths thread

A few recent updates

2nd August - finally a decent catch !!!

Coronet - picture attached if someone could confirm
Dusky Thorn (2)
Mocha
Unidentified - picture attached
Small Phoenix
Black Arches
Unidentified - picture attached
Common Wainscot
Peppered Moth
Coxcomb Prominent
Tree lichen Beauty
Brimstone Moth
True Lovers Knot
Shuttle shaped Dart (2)
Iron Prominent

3rd August

Straw Underwing (2)
Poplar Grey
Rosy Rustic

Attachments

• Coronet.jpg
    Coronet.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 29
  • Unknown.jpg
    Unknown.jpg
    536.2 KB · Views: 32
  • Unknown 2.jpg
    Unknown 2.jpg
    776.6 KB · Views: 32
Isn't Unknown No2 the fabulous (and rare) migrant Beautiful Marbled
A moth I think that would make any of us very happy indeed!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back